• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
It's very likely going to be some type of hybrid system. Even 1tb SSD drives retail at around £100. Yeah Sony will get them much cheaper but that's still a decent chunk of cost built into a system imo.

They won't be selling these things at a loss.

Caporegime
It's very likely going to be some type of hybrid system. Even 1tb SSD drives retail at around £100. Yeah Sony will get them much cheaper but that's still a decent chunk of cost built into a system imo.

They won't be selling these things at a loss.

I think you're wrong on both points there. Both PS3 and PS4 were initially sold at a loss. Money is made back from PS+ subscriptions and games.
And it's likely the drive will be 1TB SSD with no HDD. There's no way a gaming system can keep copying stuff from SSD to HDD to SSD without some kind of performance penalty.

What if I decided to play Title A which is installed on the HDD. "Please wait whilst we get this game ready for you." The game starts copying essential files from HDD to SSD which make take a couple of minutes. That's a couple of minutes too long.

Then after five minutes of playing Title A, I find it a bit boring and decide to play Title B which is also on the HDD. So Title A has to be copied back from SSD to HDD and Title B from HDD to SSD. This is going to take what seems like forever.

It's probably going to be some kind of flash memory soldered on to the motherboard because it's going to be faster than any current solution available on PC (maybe using PCI Express 4.0 or even a custom solution).

How you get extra space, I have no idea. If you could plug in an external hard drive, then maybe you will have to go through that rigmarole of copying stuff to the internal drive before you can play something.

Soldato
I think you're wrong on both points there. Both PS3 and PS4 were initially sold at a loss. Money is made back from PS+ subscriptions and games.
And it's likely the drive will be 1TB SSD with no HDD. There's no way a gaming system can keep copying stuff from SSD to HDD to SSD without some kind of performance penalty.

What if I decided to play Title A which is installed on the HDD. "Please wait whilst we get this game ready for you." The game starts copying essential files from HDD to SSD which make take a couple of minutes. That's a couple of minutes too long.

Then after five minutes of playing Title A, I find it a bit boring and decide to play Title B which is also on the HDD. So Title A has to be copied back from SSD to HDD and Title B from HDD to SSD. This is going to take what seems like forever.

That isn't how it would work, the SSD would be used for caching e.g. if you launch a game for the first time, it'll be loaded from the HDD to get it started and continue streaming in the background onto the SSD so that when the system needs to access files they're fetched straight from the SSD. There's no copying of files back and forth. The HDD will provide the storage, the SSD will hold the system software and the most-accessed files.

1TB of storage as standard would be very restrictive, games are already pretty massive as it is on the current gen.

Caporegime
Nice! Slow loading speeds is one thing that made me get a PC. If that's sorted, there's another reason not to bother upgrading.

customized ultra-fast, broadband SSD

The only downside is that it doesn't sound like it will be upgradeable.

Last edited:
Soldato
broadband ssd - that is a combination of terms Ive never heard before, sounds garbage :)

I don't see why a 1tb ssd on its own wouldn't be enough - that's 8 or 9 games of similar size to RDR II installed simultaneously (and a lot aren't going to be that size).

I think PS already has the ability to save your game data separately to application data so you can uninstall the game if necessary but keep where you got to for the future if required?

(obviously the average size of a ps5 game may go up drastically as well which may allow far less installs).

I still remember changing floppy disks for the like of Test Drive II (one of the few games at the time with a Porsche 959 :) ) so 1tb always sounds huge to me

Caporegime
I take broadband SSD to mean it's a wide-lane connector, so more than 4 PCI Express lanes, maybe 6 or 8 which would be faster than PC then, as Mark Cerny mentioned in the Wired interview.

Soldato
You're left with about 860GB usable space on a PS4 with a 1TB HDD or SSD, it'll probably be even less on the PS5 and the games will inevitably be considerably larger as 4K will be the norm. 1TB simply isn't good enough for a next-gen system. There's going to have to be some form of mechanical storage and caching involved otherwise you'll be forever swapping games in and out from a USB hard-drive.

Caporegime
What about some kind of on the fly decompression to make games smaller and make the SSD space more efficient? I think a lot of the games today are not using any kind of file compression at all. There is no "unpacking" on PS4 like there used to be on PS3 when installing games. I dunno, just a thought.

Associate
Don't the Pro have a 1TB drive? No way 1TB will be anywhere near enough on a next gen console, game size will be huge with 4k becoming standard.

Soldato
Don't the Pro have a 1TB drive? No way 1TB will be anywhere near enough on a next gen console, game size will be huge with 4k becoming standard.

Yep and I agree. Unless they find some new way of compressing 4K textures or have a hybrid method of only certain assets are installed to the HDD while others runs off the disc.

Soldato
The PS5 is a dilemma, its going to be more powerful and capable than my 1600 with 1080ti rig, and the cost of me upgrading the rig to something more capable would be more than a ps5? So this is the part where the only way to go is a console, again

Caporegime
Yeah the next gen consoles would have to be a total mess for me to resort to upgrading my PC. Even though the games are cheap as chips on PC, there’s not huge differences in how they look, just a choice of 30fps or higher so it’s not worth the outlay.

Associate
The PS5 is a dilemma, its going to be more powerful and capable than my 1600 with 1080ti rig, and the cost of me upgrading the rig to something more capable would be more than a ps5? So this is the part where the only way to go is a console, again

Even more so if KBM support is native - this gen could be the nail in the coffin for most avid gamer's on PC especially with rising hardware costs outweighing most people's pockets.

Enthusiasts and Pro's with ££££ to spend will still want PC but will be purely reserved in that niche of the market.

Shawrey

Soldato
I need to be careful because I had an XBOX One X and got rid in favour of PC. But I also prefer XBOX to PS so it's a dilemma if I'd wait to see if XBOX 2 or whatever will be better than the PS5. I felt games were cheaper on the PC and more use on the PC also. So very big dilemma.

Associate
I can't see the PS5 having an SSD even though I would like one. The cost would be to high as they would need at least a 2tb drive. I would imagine a 2tb mechanical drive will be used.

On another note, upgrading my rig to a 2080ti and 21:9 monitor is going to cost me around £2000.00 so I am very much leaning towards consoles even though I have been a PC gamer for years. The cost of PC upgrades have just spiralled out of control. Putting up with 30fps will just have to do.

Back
Top Bottom