Race reports

Soldato
Saw that you were DNF and did wonder why as you've been pretty strong recently.

Never easy when you have something lingering and the gel probabaly didn't help.

The one time you got a start makes it even worse! My mates been struggling to get races,. Didn't get in to the lake, Gifford was cancelled and he's a reserve for peebles tomorrow. Went down south and punctured 3 laps in to an 8 lap race.

Loads of guys raging about the dq at the finish as apparently it was a clear wide road with nothing in the way.

Soldato
Rules are rules, moving up by crossing the centre when you are not allowed to do it is a cheap move.

Happened a lot in the stage race I did, spend ages getting up through the bunch for 8 guys to pile past with no penalty.

Soldato
My mate Martyn I mention in the post has got into every race he has tried thus far this year! He got into lake, Guifford (as did I but cancelled), he also got into Reivers and is racing Peebles as well this weekend. Jammy sod! :p

Aye see they are raging and on about clear wide roads but they were just sat out there riding. They would have been as well sat in mid bunch as they were not moving up and the race was doing nothing. It's fine and unavoidable now and again but when you have a moto literally sat on your wheel and you are just riding out on wrong side of road as cars approach the bunch.... You absolutely deserve a DQ for being a total trumpet :p I was wanting ot start shouting at them "HE'S BEHIIIIIIND YOU". FFS.

The roads there are seriously not wide either! It's a narrow course with plenty of bends. DQ's were absolutely justified and hopefully they will learn :)

Soldato
First ever triathlon report (yes it's a triathlon but it has cycling in it! :p)

As above really, my second ever event, my first was only a duathlon back in October, so this was my first ever proper triathlon - albeit a sprint distance one. So that's 400m swim, 15m ride, and 5km run.
I was a bit apprehensive as I've got a half iron man in just over a month, and so it was probably best I have a stab at a triathlon beforehand to practice transitioning etc.....

Swim:
It was a pool swim, so 16 lengths of a really well heated pool. Which made it a shock coming out of into the 5C outside (with this damn northerly wind!). Swimming is by FAR my weakest discipline, but I've made a lot of progress over the winter. It didn't go too bad, but for the first time ever I must not have put my goggles on properly as some water leaked into the my right eye which irritated me, and I had to waste some time at the end of one length re-seating them. No idea how that happened. A very average time, 23rd fastest of the day.
Then came my first proper attempt at a flying mount! Fortunately infant of where all the crowd gathered, I didn't muck it up. But it did take quite a while to get one of my shoes on, as it was a fiddle when wet and slippery.

Ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/2342946409
My strongest leg by far. In any triathlon, this will always be the one I make up time for an average swim, and enjoy the most. The route did go through the town centre, and it did have 3 sets of traffic lights on route. I had a red light for 2 of them. We did get time back, but I'm sure we would have been faster if we could ride right through it.
I've done quite a few brick training sessions, but never at this intensity, so I was not sure how hard I could push on the bike to save enough for the sprint 5km. In the end I was happy with how I did, although I think I did bit too much in the week, and so wasn't quite at full strength. Never the less, I managed the 3rd quickest bike time of the day, and averaged almost 300W for the 40 minute or so ride. Because of my slow swim time entry (to decide where you start) it did mean I had a lot of traffic to pass on the ride, which meant battling with a couple of cars trying to do the same.
Luckily the dismount was much easier, although for some stupid reason I almost waited until after the mount line to get off, no idea why I thought that! Thanks to the marshall who shouted to remind me!!

Run: https://www.strava.com/activities/2342946371
The run was an almost 5km route along the river. Some of it was road, but most was a walking path. I didn't get on with it too well as you were running in this tiny path thing, that of course everyone was trying to run in. Over taking meant running in the longer grass, and you weren't sure what the terrain was like. I found it hard to just get into a rhythm, albeit for only 5km ish.
I tried not to look at my watch too much, and just run at what I felt was comfortable for the distance. I managed just over 6:15 min/miles, which wasn't too bad for me! 3rd fastest run of the day.

To my amazement, I managed 4th overall out of 100 or so. Just over 1:30 off a podium! The guys above me were about a minute faster at swimming, so that's the area I need the most improvement.
A great event overall, and I learnt a lot. Probably the most helpful was that I know I can't obviously go at anywhere near that pace over a half iron man, and pacing with the next stage in mind will be tricky again.

Next event, the Stafford 70.3 on June 9th. All I can say, is I'm really NOT looking forward to the swim, but the rest.....we'll see.

Soldato
Swimming, unless you have done it, get a coach to improve on the technique. Save yourself so much energy and will go faster at the same time.

Decent bike split if you had to stop a couple of times & managed to have something in the tank for the run.

Soldato
The swim sessions I go to at the moment are coached. It's definitely helped me to improve, but any improvements now are getting harder and harder.
Endurance is the thing I need to work on most. a 400m swim is one thing, a 2.5km swim is another!!

Soldato
First race for me yesterday following my month long holiday with no cycling...nothing like chucking myself back in at the deep end with a 2 hour CX race...

Been training since I've been back but knew it would be hard, went out for a pre race on Saturday and legs didn't feel too bad. The race is one I've done for the last 3 years and generally performed really well, although last year was filled with mechanicals and I spent more time running than racing...

So got to the event and did a couple of practise laps utilising my new power meter to warm up properly to power zones rather than HR, course was pretty much the same as previous years with 1 long drag round the inner bowl, followed by a quick grass section, then a sharper uphill to the top of the bowl and along the rim followed by a quick wood descent to the start finish.

After my warm up I was busy chatting then realised everyone was lining up very early, so went over and got settled on the 3rd row (at least 12 riders per row). Following a long wait we eventually got going and I had an ok start with the guy in front deciciding to barely clip in. I made up a few places and got onto the climb around the inner bowl, trying to grab a wheel and settle in to a nice rhythm. I estimate to be about mid 20s at this point.

As the climb went on I made up a few places and then lost a few as the quicker riders came through who started at the back. Into the grass section I made a few places and then onto the steep climb. The first time up this was a hell of a struggle, I just didn't have the peak power to get out the saddle and grind up, so I settled in and kept the power nice and consistent and then as we got to the top kept the power on. I got past a few people round the top and then into the wooded section. got about half way down the descent and pedals felt tight, I couldn't peldal forward. My chain was about to drop! Once I'd braked to a stop. I quickly got it remounted after losing 5 or 6 places and then carried on. The next few laps I made up a few places as people who went out far too hard dropped back.

I was told by my pit crew (my fiancee and mum) that I was 21st after 2 laps. My fuelling strategy was half a bottle of fluid and gel every other lap (approx 26/27 minutes). Unfortunately my stomach wasn't agreeing with me today and this was a struggle all through the race. As the race went on my lap times were slowly dropping away over the first hour, by about 20 seconds from the first lap of 12:25. I was really starting to notice my lack of top end, keeping a good steady pace on the flatter sections but unable to kick on the steeper bits and out of corners. But my cornering speed was allowing me to make up time and keep with a few riders in front.

As we got to about 1hour20 my body was starting to really groan and I was noticing lactate build up more after the sharp climb. I pushed on through but my lap times started to really drop. I was down to about 13mins 45 laps at this point, but I pushed on through.

With about 2.5 laps to go I got caught by a group behind, I managed to stay ahead of them around the top of the bowl and into the descent, one guy had managed to stay on my wheel, I lapped a slower rider just before a little s bend round a tree, unfortunately the idiot who was on my wheel decided to fit into this tiny gap and completely took out the lapped rider. There was a little benefit in this as it was a tight s bend with only one line and this completely held up the chasing pack. By the bottom of the descent I had a good 20 second or so lead. Unfortunately this meant very little as on the next time up the steep climb most of them passed me! :(

I got round the start finish with about 1hour 45 on the clock and heard the PA announce the leader was coming through about a minute later. I was by this time hoping I'd get passed so I didn't have to do 2 more laps. As the lap went on I caught one rider and passed a few others (one had completely fallen off his bike with cramp on the steep climb) I could see the leader catching me, but not that quickly. As we got to the last 2 corners I had a gap on the guy behind me of 5 or so seconds, luckiily the leader came through and I crossed the finish line 1 second behind him after easing up. I definitely did not fancy that last lap.

Overall I came through in 24th and 7th in age category. Managed to average 256w over the course of the 2 hours. (298w for first lap, 224w for last :D) not as good as previous years but considering my time off I was happy with my effort and getting back on it. The main pain I noticed was in my back and right arm. Definitely need to get back doing core work alongside my normal training. Hopefully this should speed up my recovery to normality (coach reckoned 8 weeks to get back to where I was pre holiday)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2362278184

Soldato
Cracking weather this week. I’m hoping for better things now I’ve been out getting some time in the saddle.

Last week was leg warmers and jackets on until the last minute!

Soldato
Will John Archibald take 16 minutes out of me at the weekend... it could happen! I am doing the Sigma sports round 5 in the Lake District on a “sporting” course. (Need to find a proper Strava profile).

Not many riders entered but the ones that have all all rapid, he’s not the only one who may catch me!

Soldato
Will John Archibald take 16 minutes out of me at the weekend... it could happen! I am doing the Sigma sports round 5 in the Lake District on a “sporting” course. (Need to find a proper Strava profile).

Not many riders entered but the ones that have all all rapid, he’s not the only one who may catch me!

16 mins.... May he have some sort of mercy on your soul :p
Is Kyle Gordon on the start sheet as well?

Soldato
16 mins.... May he have some sort of mercy on your soul :p
Is Kyle Gordon on the start sheet as well?
He is yes. The riders are in approximate speed order and I am 4th off so hopefully I won’t come last!

Rode last nights club 10. A bit windy, not as much as last week. Headwind out which is total opposite to normal.

Exactly the same power as last week (291w). 32 seconds faster. 21:48. Only change is aero bars up from 15 degrees to 20 degrees! I’ll admit the wind does make a difference but not that much! Pacing good (on the repeat 2.5km of the loop into the headwind I rode identical times), blew up a little with 3km to go but not completely, plus it was a nice tail wind to push me home then.

Soldato
He is yes. The riders are in approximate speed order and I am 4th off so hopefully I won’t come last!

Rode last nights club 10. A bit windy, not as much as last week. Headwind out which is total opposite to normal.

Exactly the same power as last week (291w). 32 seconds faster. 21:48. Only change is aero bars up from 15 degrees to 20 degrees! I’ll admit the wind does make a difference but not that much! Pacing good (on the repeat 2.5km of the loop into the headwind I rode identical times), blew up a little with 3km to go but not completely, plus it was a nice tail wind to push me home then.

I done a 21:48 the other week also! :) that was for 4th place on the night. It was super windy from the east, a VERY tough night and Kyle Gordon done a 19:44...... He is absolutely on fire at the moment and just won the Scottish National the other weekend also. Wishing you the best for the event and use those lads behind you as your fuel to your fire to go hard.

It's strange you done a 21:48 on a course where the wind was complete opposite to normal as that's exactly what happened to me! ha :p No idea on watts though for mine, certainly would have been more than 290w though and it's probably our "best" course so shows the slow crud we ride on :(

Soldato
Forecast for tomorrow is terrible. Rain all night and heavy at 8am.

I even wonder if it would be postponed/cancelled!!

I don’t mind riding in the rain either way.

Soldato
10miles for people who haven't gone under 21:00 this afternoon, not much to say, chain dropped as I went to the line... so got that back on quickly, then went out bit too hard early (315W after 3 miles), first 2 miles I was all over the show with the cross wind. Then my trip sock decided to fall down which annoyed me so pulled it back up at the turn, then on the way back got held up a bit on the roundabout by a tractor with a trailer, pushed to the line to end with 294W (PB for 10) and 20:54 - obviously another PB and equal 5th, and 3rd best team. So good day out, few position changes to make for next weeks 25 to get more aerozzzz...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2396537258

Soldato
Much aero! Think you can go under 20 this year?

Our course now has great surface (aside from some braking bumps/paint for a roundabout) but we have to make 3 U turns that does bring speed down. Several people have done sub 21s but I’m not at that level yet.

Soldato
Much aero! Think you can go under 20 this year?

Our course now has great surface (aside from some braking bumps/paint for a roundabout) but we have to make 3 U turns that does bring speed down. Several people have done sub 21s but I’m not at that level yet.

Would be the dream, would definitely need a float day to achieve it. Coach reckons I'm still about 4 weeks from getting back to where I was pre holiday, so another 20w and aero improvements will help but a minute is a big ask!

Soldato
TLDR: bad weather, didn’t die, rode consistent laps I was happy with.

Sigma Sports round 5, hilly course up near Penrith.

I didnt have the best prep, didnt recon the course as it’s too far to travel really to look at it.

Didn’t do a warm up as it was smashing down rain and there was nowhere dry/didn’t have gazebo with me.

It had rained all night it seemed and the roads were shocking, all the catkins and bits off the trees were all covering the road, manure, small branches blown off. The wind was gusty and strong and it was raining on/off all morning.

Someone I know did prep it and said it’s basically a couple of climbs and descents and only one bad >90 degree downhill corner.

Was in two minds and started with visor on, steamed up (I put some antifog on but no joy) within 15 mins and had to stick it on my head.

Armed with the little knowledge I’d gained my plan was to ride 300-350w on the climbs and recover on the descents and take no huge risks as I wasn’t going to place anywhere. It worked OK, some steeper bits made you get out the saddle but I don’t mind climbing like that on the TT. Downhills were sketchy with gusty crosswinds, and a massively fast finish where I spun out and ran out of gears.

Got round my first lap garmin showed about 280-285w NP, hit lap so knew how the second lap was gonna go. I had some guys come past me super fast but just trusted my numbers and didn’t try to hold the gap. Second lap with the knowledge could hold better corner speed and aero. NP dropped to about 275w as I tired a little. Turns out my laps were within 5w average of each other and 5 seconds! Very consistent at least.

I didn’t come last, and didn’t DNF (3 seniors did) one snapped a chain I think, someone else flatted and crashed on a descent. I was ~5 mins down on the majority of people, then the two Ribble boys in another league, flying (the one lap course record was broken by at least 5 riders on the first of their 2 laps!).

I think with a recon and warm up I’d have take 1-2 mins off my time but pleased with my effort & a good tune up ahead of the club 25 which will seem super flat after today!

Soldato
At least you walked way alive given the conditions mate.

I went to my race half hearted, as did my other two mates on the start line. 40 signed on for an 80 man field shows how bad the weather was.

Any warm up we did wasn't helped with the 15 minutes sat in a lay by waiting on it rolling out.

The first of the dodgy, off camber and tree **** lined corners Alex MacCrae locked up and went right through the back third of the bunch and the guy next to me had his rear wheel step out. That took me off the back and had to sprint like **** to get back up to the bunch for the turn, into a dodgy ass road again with a 90 degree corner after a narrow bridge.

Worked my way into the back part of the bunch and on the climb moved up to the front guys, Davy Lines and some other good chap were off the front a bit by now, then on the descents back to Straiton I just pulled in a bit and slowed up. They weren't as technical as the first ones but still not very grippy and FAST as ****.

Back at the strip saw someone brought back who had headered the road and bust his head open and I heard there were a few crashes so overall I'm unhappy about being a pussy and chucking it when I dealt with wortse last week and on the other hand I'm still in one piece. :o

Soldato
Once you get past 25 and realise you’ll never be a pro, it’s just not worth it, we all have to work on Monday!

No way I’d have done a road race way too sketchy. Not done any road racing since moving back, I would potentially do one but no crits, chance of crashing too high!

Glad I glued Continental Competitions and not a quicker/less puncture resistance tyre, I have good confidence in them, picked up a bit of sand/glass in the front but didn’t flat & picked it out (I’ll superglue the mark left).

Back
Top Bottom