Formula Boinc - Sprint #6 from 23/05/2019 22:00 (UTC) to 26/05/2019 21:59 (UTC)

Associate
Hey, were you Yoda during the Pentathlon? :D

Well fellas, here comes the train....try to jump off the track before you get ran over, then grab hold of the caboose maybe.

I need to put forth some effort on the PrimeGrid challenge and probably the DHEP-server-crash-challenge before I get ex-communicated by my TeAm.... :(

Associate
Are you guys from OcUK going to help crash the DHEP server? The challenge starts immediately after the Sprint. OcUK isn't signed up yet.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Hey, were you Yoda during the Pentathlon? :D

Well fellas, here comes the train....try to jump off the track before you get ran over, then grab hold of the caboose maybe.

I need to put forth some effort on the PrimeGrid challenge and probably the DHEP-server-crash-challenge before I get ex-communicated by my TeAm.... :(
Shoutbox impersonator that was :D

Thanks for all the extra input from you guys much appreciated :)
You know if you get ex-communicated by your team you can always come and stay here :D

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Are you guys from OcUK going to help crash the DHEP server? The challenge starts immediately after the Sprint. OcUK isn't signed up yet.
I was going to do some work there but wasn't bothered about being signed up.

Remember it is a Win-Win challenge !
If the server can cope - Yay, the server/project can cope
If the server goes pop - Yay, we found out that it needs some more work and the challenge was successful :D
No time for sad faces or comments :p

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
We're in.
H haven't bothered with the Sprint but have started on the Island Hopping challenge and are pulling away from everybody over there.

We started out in 13th of 14 teams and I doubled my output earlier this morning, I might have to double it again and get up to 4 threads to stop us dropping down to 14th or even getting up to 12th :D

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
It's a weird one :D

The WU's you download are just placeholders to kick-off a Java app (it downloads the Java, you don't need it installed if running it under Boinc).
The Java process connects and gets work from a non-Boinc server.
It reports the work done every 15 minutes to the non-Boinc server, that gets counted and stored there and then the credit amount is trickled back to the Boinc server so that your host and personal credit amounts are updated.
Being placeholders the WUs have quite long deadlines and will take over as many threads as you allow it to run (not multi-threaded).
You can pause/abort the WUs, you should only lose any credit in the last 15 minute window that didn't get added to the non-Boinc server.
If the WUs are running but not using the CPU then chances are the non-Boinc server is down or if it hasn't previously been run you might have to open ports to allow the outgoing connection (I haven't seen that but know others might lock things down tighter than I do) in order to get the work going.

Credit scoring has been a bit, how shall I put it, a bit up and down :p
At the moment it is down.
Michael has been putting in new routines to be run and this has affected the credit rate.
He had planned an update on Thursday just gone to adjust and correct things but that hasn't happened.
He has been very quiet so assume he and helpers are very busy trying to get this done.
I also assume he has a plan on how he was going to do the credit adjustment fairly but I don't know how, I'm not involved in that.
Final assumption is that his plan for credit adjustment will be able to cope with all the work being done on the challenge BUT I have no guarantees to offer, it may be that the very low credit rate is all that you get.
The challenge was to test the system under high load, sadly, if people think they aren't going to get much credit (compared to what it has given) they may not join in and the challenge won't test the system.

Soldato
It's a weird one :D

The WU's you download are just placeholders to kick-off a Java app (it downloads the Java, you don't need it installed if running it under Boinc).
The Java process connects and gets work from a non-Boinc server.
It reports the work done every 15 minutes to the non-Boinc server, that gets counted and stored there and then the credit amount is trickled back to the Boinc server so that your host and personal credit amounts are updated.
Being placeholders the WUs have quite long deadlines and will take over as many threads as you allow it to run (not multi-threaded).
You can pause/abort the WUs, you should only lose any credit in the last 15 minute window that didn't get added to the non-Boinc server.
If the WUs are running but not using the CPU then chances are the non-Boinc server is down or if it hasn't previously been run you might have to open ports to allow the outgoing connection (I haven't seen that but know others might lock things down tighter than I do) in order to get the work going.

Credit scoring has been a bit, how shall I put it, a bit up and down :p
At the moment it is down.
Michael has been putting in new routines to be run and this has affected the credit rate.
He had planned an update on Thursday just gone to adjust and correct things but that hasn't happened.
He has been very quiet so assume he and helpers are very busy trying to get this done.
I also assume he has a plan on how he was going to do the credit adjustment fairly but I don't know how, I'm not involved in that.
Final assumption is that his plan for credit adjustment will be able to cope with all the work being done on the challenge BUT I have no guarantees to offer, it may be that the very low credit rate is all that you get.
The challenge was to test the system under high load, sadly, if people think they aren't going to get much credit (compared to what it has given) they may not join in and the challenge won't test the system.

Thanks, I remember it now :) I'll give it a go, regardless of the current credit given.

Associate
Hi all,
now that was a bit of fun. I didn't stop to wave a goodbye last night anymore, as I was in a hurry to switch everything to two other races in which the TeAm has put itself, then urgently needed to catch a few hours sleep. %-)

Speaking of other races, is it just my perception, or were SETI.USA a little bit hesitant yesterday to enter full force into the DHEP challenge? ;-)

Anyway. This was a good run for you and us. Would have been pretty easy to grab a medal here if that big GRC crowd didn't block the top spot. :-)

See you!

Soldato
Cheers once again Stefan to you and your team. I've previously said I'd like to see Gridcoin removed from FB, whilst other teams move resources, bunker and generally put an effort in, their achievement in FB is just incidental to their mining.

Back
Top Bottom