Kill Weeds forever

Caporegime
Is there way to just get rid of them forever from monoblock and stones? I normally spray bleach on it once a year but they come back the following year with a vengeance.

Can I just buy say 100kg of salt and let that soak into the ground by spreading it around and then waiting for the rain to do it's job.

What would be the cheapest solution? I don't care if it's not environmentally friendly so long as it's cheap. I already have a respirator mask and large pressurised spray bottle.

I know some folk pressure wash ten fill the gaps with sand but they still come through with time.

Soldato
Weeds will always come back. Seeds get blown on the wind and then into the cracks. Anything chemical you put down will eventually wash away with the rain

I'd give it an occasional spray with Glyphosate.

Soldato
One way to stop anything from ever growing is old engine oil. Might be tricky to apply on this case though.
I've used it before a good 10 years ago, still nothing growing but it does completely destroy the soil.

Soldato
sodium chlorate(cheap) used to be great for paths/drives till the EU banned it

Dish washer salt is good for paths/drives just dissolve in warm water 1st

Tho Glyphosate works well to

Soldato
Poor bees with the gylcophosphate.

A quick option is to use a propane burner :) heat the soil and it kills the plant and any seeds in the soil (until they are blown in).

Put a barrier down and it will prevent weeds.

Don
this won't really help in this situation, but diesel kills everything;

My ex had her tank drilled and where the excess diesel spilled out on the parking spot is clear of weeds 3 years later, whilst around that site is full of weeds.

Soldato
So it sounds like apart from fuel or oil, anything else is only a temporary measure that will require you to do it again the following year.

Caporegime
OP
have you tried Hypochlorite?
https://www.chemiphase.co.uk/sodium-hypochlorite-patio-cleaner-moss-remover-15-grade/

you can usually get stronger solution drums from agricultural suppliers (i think it's used in disinfecting dairy parlours and the like) Very potent stuff. i've used the 'agricultural strength' version in the past before with great results. it kills everything in it's path :D

bleach kills everything too and costs pennies for 2 litres from aldi.

i want a permanent solution. it looks like there is none.

I'm going to try salt now though as it's cheaper and more environmentally friendly to boot. no chance of a random cat dying from salt.

Caporegime
OP
The issue with salt is its water soluble so will wash away quickly.
That's why oil and diesel work they stay put.

yeah but I can't use that on a monoblock drive. Well I could but I could never sell the house.

Salt is cheap and I don't need to wear a respirator. I don't mind pouring and brushing it around. Will be quicker to use than bleach in a sprayer.

Back
Top Bottom