• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Permabanned
Well, these make more sense:

14cwbv5.png

https://videocardz.com/80966/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-picture-and-specs-leaked

Soldato
Water coolers. There's nothing more annoying that waiting for blocks for custom PCBs and then you pay a premium for a beastly air cooler you're never going to use. Give me a reference card with a cheap-ass cooler I can bin any day.

Also, I know a lot of people who crank their headphones up so loud they can't hear a blower cooler screaming away in the background, so noise isn't an issue for them.

Yea i know that hence why i said if staying with air. AMD's stock boards also seem to be decent as well. If going air though i would not touch a blower card.

Associate
had a blower style Vega 64, i like the boxy type of cards and it was absolutely fine at 1080p, however, the jump to 1440p made it pretty unbearable so i got rid.

Permabanned
Blower fans are not that bad tbh
It just takes the users to know the limits, take my VEGA 64 for example if I aim for a reasonable clock speed that is 1500 then my temps and noise level is actually quite good. But if I start punishing for unrealistic targets then the GPU will get hotter and more noise will be heard.
Blower fans actually are better for the overall system also because they push the hot air out the case rather than dumping it into the system and having the CPU and Motherboard and PSU etc heat up.

I don't agree. With a single blower, your videocard PCB experiences significantly worse thermal density upon itself. Because of the configuration itself, you get less heatsink volume, and all the heat accumulates there.
With 3 axial fans, you get lower thermal density and much faster heat exchange between the components on the videocard PCB and the surrounding area. Your case has several more axial coolers to help.

See, if the blower cooler was double, like two smaller blower coolers and somehow larger heatsinks, maybe it would be the more efficient design.

Caporegime

I am especially excited for tonights presentation from AMD. This will determine the route I go down with my new build. In short, if they reveal a high powered RX5900 which performs as well as the Radeon VII or better then I am all over it. It will be my GPU for the new build. If they do not, I'll buy a Vega 56 to tide me over until a heavyweight NAVI comes out.

However, I can't help but feel (because this makes more business sense to me, at least) they will show/reveal 2 x NAVI cards to compete with/slightly out perform the RTX 2060 & 2070. Leaving the Radeon VII up to slightly out perform the RTX 2080. Then replace the Radeon VII at a later date with a NAVI varient. For them to release a Radeon VII replacement now seems like a huge bird flipping to those who bought one already.

However, if its dead in the water, maybe its better to replace it already.

Soldato
I don't agree. With a single blower, your videocard PCB experiences significantly worse thermal density upon itself. Because of the configuration itself, you get less heatsink volume, and all the heat accumulates there.
With 3 axial fans, you get lower thermal density and much faster heat exchange between the components on the videocard PCB and the surrounding area. Your case has several more axial coolers to help.

See, if the blower cooler was double, like two smaller blower coolers and somehow larger heatsinks, maybe it would be the more efficient design.

Basically have a good case that moves air and a 2 or 3 fan design is way better than a blower. With my Red Devil 64 and all the hype about Vega being a volcano i have no problem what so ever. I use the stock profile as well and temps never reach 70. If i set it up on the undervolt with an aggressive fan profile things get much better. No need though as i game with a headset. My Crosshair Carbide 740 does the job so i don't need to worry about putting any card in really.

Soldato

You agreeing and disagreeing with yourself. Re-read what I said not once have I said blower fan is better than a custom fan config. But what I will repeat again is you making out that blower fans are so much worst than they are! It really comes down to the user and realistic expectations!

Again I will say it out for you!
If I take my VEGA 64 blower fan and try and reach clocks of 1600+ all I doing is hitting unrealistic expectations, in turn, a hotter GPU and more noise levels! If I keep it at clocks that a realistic like 1500 then the GPU remains cool and noise level is on par with most coolers. My GPU doesn't go over 70c on the core and 80c on the HBM and noise level is good "Obviously what my noise levels vs yours will be much different"

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Blower coolers are indeed bad and must be avoided at all cost like the plague. These coolers introduce low ventilation efficiency, which leads to worse thermals for the components on the PCB, less gaming framerates performance and last but not least they cause unbearable amount of unpleasant sounds coming from the air that tries to escape from the little furnace out there.

Meh, from 1 to 10, I give blower coolers a 0.

Even worse is that every reviewer will get an awful blower card, then Navi will get a reputation for being hot, loud, and underperforming, which will become the baseline benchmarks when comparing against nVidia cards.

Doesn't matter that X months down the line you'll be able to get a cool/quiet/better performing card, all people will see is the 'stock' card performance.

They did the same thing with Vega, and 480, and 290... :(

Soldato
You agreeing and disagreeing with yourself. Re-read what I said not once have I said blower fan is better than a custom fan config. But what I will repeat again is you making out that blower fans are so much worst than they are! It really comes down to the user and realistic expectations!

If I take my VEGA 64 blower fan and try and reach clocks of 1600+ all I doing is hitting unrealistic expectations, in turn, a hotter GPU and more noise levels! If I keep it at clocks that a realistic like 1500 then the GPU remains cool and noise level is on par with most coolers. My GPU doesn't go over 70c on the core and 80c on the HBM and noise level is good "Obviously what my noise levels vs yours will be much different"

A decent noise cancelling headset solves all those issues any how :D:D:D. I find it hard to game with surround speakers as i don't feel like i am gaming properly unless i wear a headset.

Soldato
Even worse is that every reviewer will get an awful blower card, then Navi will get a reputation for being hot, loud, and underperforming, which will become the baseline benchmarks when comparing against nVidia cards.

Doesn't matter that X months down the line you'll be able to get a cool/quiet/better performing card, all people will see is the 'stock' card performance.

They did the same thing with Vega, and 480, and 290... :(

Yea seems to be the case for a long time with AMD. Need a generator and can't game if it's not winter with the window open :D:D:D:D:D

Permabanned

You say that blower coolers have lower thermal dissipation capacity.
And this is enough said.

Soldato
You say that blower coolers have lower thermal dissipation capacity.
And this is enough said.

I did? Where? LOL I said Blower Coolers are better for the overall system cooling! Because they push the hot air out of the case rather than into the case. Depending on the size of the case and its fans a custom cooler on a GPU putting all the hot air into the case can actually affect other hardware like the CPU/Motherboard and even the PSU can get hotter.

Permabanned
I did? Where? LOL

Here:

It just takes the users to know the limits, take my VEGA 64 for example if I aim for a reasonable clock speed that is 1500 then my temps and noise level is actually quite good. But if I start punishing for unrealistic targets then the GPU will get hotter and more noise will be heard.

lower fans just require users to have realistic expectations.

and here:

If I take my VEGA 64 blower fan and try and reach clocks of 1600+ all I doing is hitting unrealistic expectations, in turn, a hotter GPU and more noise levels!

Depending on the size of the case and its fans a custom cooler on a GPU putting all the hot air into the case can actually affect other hardware like the CPU/Motherboard and even the PSU can get hotter.

I disagree. You conveniently skip the fact that with axial coolers there is less heat and lower temperatures overall. What with a blower cooler is heat, with an axial cooler is just warmth.

Soldato
Here:
and here:
I disagree. You conveniently skip the fact that with axial coolers there is less heat and lower temperatures overall. What with a blower cooler is heat, with an axial cooler is just warmth.

What? I think you completely fail to read what I saying!

You can have two VEGA 64 GPUs one blower and one triple fan running at the same speed and voltage they will both give of the same amount of heat! That heat doesn't just magically disappear! Core Temp and HBM Temp is only part of the story, the TDP of the GPU remains the same its still 400w worth of heat that must go somewhere.

Soldato
I just can't believe they've shot themselves in the foot with the damn blower cooler again! Explains why the 'game' clock is so much lower than the boost clock. Teased us with the R VII axial cooler then ripped it away :( Guess it's mod with AIO or wait months for the partner designs. *sigh*

Blower is good for 2 reasons
a) Cheap to make reference cooler for us watercooling, no need for expensive coolers.
b) Many mATX and mIXT builds require blowers. Hell we even saw the amount of complains with the Turing cards, people were complaining even in this very forum, that the reference is not blower design.

Back
Top Bottom