Kill Weeds forever

Soldato
this won't really help in this situation, but diesel kills everything;

My ex had her tank drilled and where the excess diesel spilled out on the parking spot is clear of weeds 3 years later, whilst around that site is full of weeds.

Giving the ground a good soaking with red diesel (Cheap) before laying paths and driveways was an old builders trick. It does work very effectively!

Used engine oil is also excellent and very long lasting for treating external woodwork like sheds and fences. And any colour you like as long as it is Brown!:p

Soldato
Pretty sure you'll get a huge fine for that now if someone notices and reports you :p

You really don't want to have oil in the ground, it will be contaminated for years and slowly spread.

Associate
Just get a weed eater tool, and go over on them every weekends. Mine is a petrol engined one 4in1 - it has hedge cutting blade, chain saw and grass streamer. The grass streamer works beautifully getting rid of the weeds on the patio, drive way and slabs in just about 15-30 minutes (depending how large your garden and patio or driveway is, it could vary).

It is a bit noisy, and laborious, but it works and is environmentally not as destructive as other alternatives.

Last edited:
Associate
You won't be able to get rid of the weeds for good, because the seeds get showered down all the time airborne with wind blowing just after the weeding. You just have to keep on weeding them off every weekends.

Caporegime
OP
Permabanned
Wonder how they affect wild life / cats?
Don’t let animals near the affected area until product has dried. Once dry it’s fine.

• Strongest Weed killer Available Online In the U.K. For Uncertified Use. Contains 360 g/l glyphosate, The same as most Professional Grade Herbicides.
  • One Litre Treats Over 0.4 of an Acre Offering the Best Value Available.
  • Gallup Home & Garden is a domestic weed killer that contains 360 g/l glyphosate for effective control of annual and deep-rooted perennial garden weeds, including grasses, docks, nettles, willowherb, dandelion and bindweed. Kills most weeds in one application with no need to re-apply. A single 2 Litre bottle treats upto 3332 sq/m
  • Inactivated on contact with the soil and is broken down by soil organisms to leave no lasting residues, allowing the area to be cultivated and re-planted 7 days after application or if the weather has been cool, after the weed leaves have yellowed or died back.
  • NO knapsack certificate needed. Dilute at 24ml per 1 Litre of water to treat an area of 40 sq/m. Apply when weeds are actively growing and have adequate leaf area to absorb the spray for best results, taking care to avoid over spray onto more desirable plants. Weeds may show first effects from a few days up to 4 weeks after depending on the weather and type of weed.

Caporegime
OP
Everything is linked to something or the other but yes I wouldn’t recommend drinking it.

i think it was proven it was in the news, etc recently so i would definitely use mask and goggles now.

it's good stuff like i say i've used it before but you need to keep applying it every few months.

Permabanned
I think Monsanto have had some cases brought against them. I think common sense will prevail and treat it with the respect it deserves.

I think this guy gives a decent review.

Great product. I worked as a professional gardener for 8 years. This Gallup brand is 5 times stronger than the concentrate that I used to use and is fantastic value for money.
Here are some things everyone should know about Glyphosate weedkiller.
1) It kills everything! (Almost every plant)
2) It only kills a plant when applied to the leaves and if the plant is growing. (I.e. it wont stop seeds from germinating or kill weeds that are dormant at the time)
3) It can be washed off by rain . Note that this weed killer works really well AFTER rain (because the plant will be growing well then) . If the weather has been really hot and dry, I often water the weedy area before applying this weed killer.
4) Works even better on tender young leaves. If I have a big shrub to kill I usually cut it to ankle height then when new soft growth arrives, I put the weedkiller on that. The gluphosate is absorbed readily by the young leaves and the plant will be growing really strongly because it is trying to make up for all the leaves that have gone. This means the weedkiller is absorbed very well and the results are especially effective.
5) This weed killer works through stopping the plant making proteins. This means it can take a while for the plant to look dead. Often it takes 2 weeks for the plant to go brown. It means that it is a fairly harmless chemical to people, pets, insects etc. However, like all chemicals treat it with respect and don't let it get into the water supply or anywhere sensitive. Don't throw away excess into drains or garbage. If you have excess, give to another gardener or dispose of safely in the chemical waste part of your local tip
6) This product only works when the plant is photosynthesising (turning sunlight into food). Understanding this helps you to understand how to use the product (ie on the leaves when the plant is growing strongly).
7) How to kill really tough plants with waxy leave (like ivy or holly): Simply spraying in the normal way is not always effective on a waxy leaved plant. This method however works extremely well: Note: this recipe is a very strong and powerful plant killer so be careful: Mix the Gallup concentrate with 5 times as much water to make a mix that is still hundreds of times stronger than the mix you would use in a watering can or sprayer. Then mix this with an equal amount of washing up liquid or other detergent. So for instance, using an old yogurt pot or jar, put 1 part glyphosate concentrate, 5 parts water and 6 parts washing up liquid. Stir. Then get rid of as much of the plant as you can so there are just a few leaves left. Then get an old and unwanted paint brush and carefully paint the mix onto the leaves. It works best if you paint onto the underside of the leaves as well as the tops, as this is the part that it not so waxy and it will be absorbed best from here. If this is a holly bush, cut the bush to ankle height first and then paint this onto the few remaining leaves. If Ivy, pull up what you can and then paint this onto any bits that you can't pull up. Note that a big, strong plant will sometimes grow more leaves in a week or two later, in a desperate attempt to live. Put more mixture on these when they grow. Note the detergent in this recipe helps to penetrate the waxy protective coat that many plants have on their leaves so that it is absorbed more easily into the plant..
8) How to kill a weed that is near a favourite plant: I have convolvulous (bind weed) growing through favourite shrubs. I pull the bindweed out of the shrub and curl in on the grown nearby. Then I paint on the recipe above. I weight the weed down with stones to stop it blowing in the wind onto my shrub. Note painting the weed killer onto a plant allows much more control than spraying especially in windy conditions
9) How to kill brambles: Cut away most of the bramble and then paint onto the remaining few leaves.
10) The smaller and weaker the plant, the easier it is to kill off. For instance a lettuce or bit of grass is easily killed. A dandelion which has a very long, strong root takes longer to kill and might need a second application later in the year.
11) The bigger and tougher a weed is, the harder it is to kill. For instance: A big shrub (imagine those huge roots) might take several applications to completely kill it. Remember the plant is taking the product deep into the root system. The bigger the plant, the longer it takes for that process to happen. Also the roots of the plant act as it's storage system and reserves, so a plant with big roots will have more power to try to regrow. Don't worry, simply apply a bit more each time it tries to come back and it will soon go brown and give up.
Things to do:
Apply in dry weather to a plant that is growing strongly
Be patient
Apply several times to really strong shrubs if needed (each time they regrow) remembering that the product works through starving the plant and this can take a while with a big, strong plant
Things not to do:
Never spray if the spray will go on the wind to nearby plants that you like (you will kill them)
Avoid getting the liquid on your feet or hands and transferring to other plants or the lawn (it will kill them)
Don't try to kill weeds in the lawn with this or you will kill the lawn
Be extremely careful near soft leaved plants such as roses which are very easily killed by even a little spray
Do not try to kill suckers with this as it will kill the main plant as well. For instance, if you have a plum tree and are getting fed up with all the extra little trees growing nearby, don't try to kill them with a systemic killer. It will reach all the connected plants including the main tree and will kill them all
If it does not work:
Sometimes people get upset with gluphosate weed killer because it is slow action. Give it enough time to work. If the weather is very hot and dry it will take longer because plants grow slowly in these conditions. If it rains soon after you applied it, that may have washed it off. Apply again in dry weather or put a clear plastic sheet over specific plants you are keen to kill. Note that this must be a clear covering or the plant wont grow and the weed killer cannot then be taken into the plant
Sometimes a big plant is weakened but not killed. Don't be frustrated. Simply apply again. You are working with nature and a big plant has reserves that it will try to use. I.e. it has not yet starved. Apply again to any leaves that are growing strongly and when enough product has gone into the plant it will eventually work. (Note most small weeds are killed thoroughly with one application and only really tough stuff comes back for a second go).
Also note that once you have completely cleared a bit of ground, weeds will come back. This is because new weeds are growing from the seeds that were lying on the ground. That grass or dandelion you successfully killed had left seeds waiting their chance to grow. A bit of ground that has had weeds for several years will have a lot of weed seeds waiting their turn to grow. These will come up over several years and will need to be controlled by hoeing or mulching or weed killer.
Rescue: if you accidentally get a bit of weed killer onto a leaf of a wanted plant then remove that leaf.
If you realise that you have accidentally sprayed a wanted plant, then you can try hosing it down, but we warned this may not work. Avoid spraying wanted plants at all costs
Mix only the amount that you need because you do not want to throw this stuff away into drains where it can kill plants in rivers. Use all weed killers with great care.
Personally, I always weed by mechanical means if I can. Some weeds are very hard to remove (for instance bind weed) and others are growing through big shrubs and cannot be dug up. I use glyphosate with great care and think of it as sculpting in the garden. I treat this product with appreciation and patience and have had fabulous results over many years. I also treat it with respect and keep it away from ponds and drains.
Good luck!

Soldato
You really don't want to have oil in the ground, it will be contaminated for years and slowly spread.

I think that is kind of the point! :D

(As for spreading, in practice the emphasis will be on "Slowly". Non-soluable Materials tend to not generally spread through the ground particularly quickly. At the Oklo reactor site, non volatile fission products have migrated only a couple of cm in over 2 billion years, despite the area being very wet at the time)

Back
Top Bottom