• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
Lol! What? It's content is subjective, yes, but to outright say it's odd that that people still watch it, absolutely not.

What a peculiar thing to say.

I must still be living in the dark ages. Got sky q and 2 mini boxes. It's the easiest way for me to access the content I want when not on the PC. Also the rest of my family don't know what I do.

Soldato
I must still be living in the dark ages. Got sky q and 2 mini boxes. It's the easiest way for me to access the content I want when not on the PC. Also the rest of my family don't know what I do.

Considering people were talking about 4K, you aren't actually watching 4K content via satellite, all of Sky's 4K content is "on demand" which means streaming or its downloaded to your box. So you've effectively just agreed with him that broadcast 4K is a lost cause.

Mind you, even streamed 4K content is not full UHD so it still makes 8K somewhat pointless at this point.

Last edited:
Associate
Watching a UHD movie on sky and comparing it to a normal blu ray (non UHD) shows the blu ray looks much better. It might be 4k in resolution but the quality just isn't there

Soldato
Considering people were talking about 4K, you aren't actually watching 4K content via satellite, all of Sky's 4K content is "on demand" which means streaming or its downloaded to your box. So you've effectively just agreed with him that broadcast 4K is a lost cause.

Mind you, even streamed 4K content is not full UHD so it still makes 8K somewhat pointless at this point.

To be fair, the response was due to the comment of it apparently being "odd" that people subscribe to broadcast TV. It's not odd at all, considering the content is broadcasted content specifically for those subscribed. i.e. you can't watch F1 and Sky Atlantic shows (for example) on Netflix etc. So since there's content exclusivity it's also not odd to want it in the best quality you can get, regardless of the fact it's worse than Blu-ray quality, nobody is disputing that.

It'll be moot soon anyway since Sky is moving to internet streaming in the near future.

Soldato
People are strange, streaming is popular and apparently less people buying discs which offer better quality.. yet now someone says satellite/cable TV is poor, which it isn't. Even SD broadcasts are watchable, although obviously we'd want it in HD instead. But people act like it's so bad that you can't even watch 720p nevermind SD. It's just rubbish.

Soldato

Nah i don't have sky for 4k content. My PC is 4k content. Sky is for the people in my house that don't care and for me when am going to sleep. Will upgrade everything to 4k when it actually becomes normal broadcasting. As above said though my comment was more to just having sky like most others have a tv contract of some kind. It's not weird at all.

Associate
So, maybe i've missed the point... but what was the super thing that was going to happen?

2060, 2070 and 2080 SUPER variants that have more of the various types of compute unit and are supposed to be cheaper than the current lineup, was the rumour.

We'll find out next month, when Nvidia attempt to steal AMD's thunder on Navi launch day. At least that was the impression I got.

Soldato
As I understand it there is no thunder to steal. Given Nvidia have no reason or need to drop prices or improve performance as they are winning on both fronts we should be grateful that a gpu manufacturer alone in a market with zero competition is chucking us a bone!

Permabanned
2060, 2070 and 2080 SUPER variants that have more of the various types of compute unit and are supposed to be cheaper than the current lineup, was the rumour.

We'll find out next month, when Nvidia attempt to steal AMD's thunder on Navi launch day. At least that was the impression I got.
That thunder turned out to be more of a damp Squibb. AMD have done Nvidia's job for them.

Associate

I thought the rumour was 3 new "super" versions of 2060, 2070 and 2080, with about 10% more oomph. These are the same price as the existing cards, with the older cards being dropped by $100 (presumably until stock is gone).

I guess we will find out for sure soon...

Associate
I thought the rumour was 3 new "super" versions of 2060, 2070 and 2080, with about 10% more oomph. These are the same price as the existing cards, with the older cards being dropped by $100 (presumably until stock is gone).

That's correct pal

Caporegime

Do they even need to do this after last night? And If they do it leaves AMD with egg on their face comparing their products to the 20X0 pricing as it was.

Back
Top Bottom