• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Caporegime
If they don't then AMD are actually in a pretty decent position with the XT.

I am not claiming these cards are amazing and a new dawn or anything like that, but the XT is decently positioned against the current competition and I don't really feel it warrants the hate it's gotten. The 5700 is pretty pointless though.

In which case then Turing shouldn't have received all the hate. You need to be consistent

Soldato
In which case then Turing shouldn't have received all the hate. You need to be consistent

The problem with Turing is that it started these prices and showed the market people were willing to pay them. Any other competition can and are following the prices set by the market.

If Turing was set 20% lower than it was from launch, do you think Navi would cost what it will? Of course not, it would be competitive with the current market costs.

Caporegime
If they don't then AMD are actually in a pretty decent position with the XT.

I am not claiming these cards are amazing and a new dawn or anything like that, but the XT is decently positioned against the current competition and I don't really feel it warrants the hate it's gotten. The 5700 is pretty pointless though.

Both the 5700XT and 2070 are crap price/performance.
I don't care what sticker it's got on it.

Caporegime
From what AMD showed (I know I know) it is actually around 10% faster than a 2070 and the same price as the absolute cheapest 2070 so in those terms it's relatively ok. $450 should end up as about £420 so that's almost 15% less than £480, with more performance. I don't see that as a bad deal.

Like I said though they definitely could do more with the cooler.

it is not 10% faster than the 2070 though, AMD's own figured give an average of about 5%, which in reality is liekly less when not cherry picking settings.

but the fundamental point is if Navi is consider to be OK value then so is Turing.. In fact Turing now seems like a bargain, as you could have got this price-performance and the extra features 9 months ago

Soldato
it is not 10% faster than the 2070 though, AMD's own figured give an average of about 5%, which in reality is liekly less when not cherry picking settings.

but the fundamental point is if Navi is consider to be OK value then so is Turing.. In fact Turing now seems like a bargain, as you could have got this price-performance and the extra features 9 months ago

I wouldn't call either a bargain, prices have gone up significantly in the last few generations but you can't blame AMD for following a pricing structure accepted by the market, created by Nvidia.

How would, even if the gap is 5%, Turing seem like a bargain when it would still be more money for less overall performance?

Caporegime
Fair enough, can't argue with your logic there. Nvidia created the inflated market pricing, AMD are just following it.

Nvidia inflated it, but Nvidia were there first to market. I don't agree with it and don't support the practice but there's a tangible difference.

AMD have a false reputation, and hopefully it'll be put to bed with the 5700XT pricing.

Caporegime
I wouldn't call either a bargain, prices have gone up significantly in the last few generations but you can't blame AMD for following a pricing structure accepted by the market, created by Nvidia.

How would, even if the gap is 5%, Turing seem like a bargain when it would still be more money for less overall performance?

AMD have done their own ridiculous pricing too when they've been first .

Think the 7970 was like £500.
If you factor in the currency devaluation that wasn't far off £600 equivalent.

Caporegime
Also, these slides means it is barely faster than a Vega 64 (maybe by 10% or so). You have been able to get Vega 64's in the low £300 (£309 recently on OCUK) so why on earth should anyone be excited about this card for this price?

The GPU market has lost its way. For the past few years we just keep getting the same regurgitated price/performance. I am seriously failing to see the point in Navi at this price point.

Soldato
Nvidia inflated it, but Nvidia were there first to market. I don't agree with it and don't support the practice but there's a tangible difference.

AMD have a false reputation, and hopefully it'll be put to bed with the 5700XT pricing.

I want competition, any competition is good for the consumer and for that reason I want AMD to bring out a competitive product. In relation to how things are when the product is announced, they have done that. They are not a charity who will hugely undervalue their product relative to the competition just because.

The 7970 in its day was equivalent to a 2080Ti which is double that cost, they're not really comparable. Also read my above statement.

Soldato
From what AMD showed (I know I know) it is actually around 10% faster than a 2070 and the same price as the absolute cheapest 2070 so in those terms it's relatively ok. $450 should end up as about £420 so that's almost 15% less than £480, with more performance. I don't see that as a bad deal.

Like I said though they definitely could do more with the cooler.
That was 10% faster in one cherry picked AMD title, in the real world it needs to work hard just to match a bog std 2070, let alone the premium ones that clock to 1080ti performance.

All that said in 6 months time when the drivers have improved and AMD have decided they need to start losing money on these then the prices will drop and much like Vega they will go from shocking to acceptable in the communities eyes.

Caporegime

Absolutely you can blame AMD, they don't get a freeride just because they are team red.

Turing is a relative bargain because you could have enjoyed that price-performance level for nearly 12 months which is a long time in the tech world. People who purchased a Turing on release got the miuch better deal.

Caporegime
They are not a charity who will hugely undervalue their product relative to the competition just because.

No one is saying they should "just because"

They should because they will be 10 months late to the party, they lack features the competition has, they have a card with better price/performance on sale right now (Vega 64) and the competition has something new lined up as well.

The 5700 is a nothing card at $449.

Soldato
Like I said guys, I am not trying to say it's amazing and they deserve nothing but good things. I just feel the 5700XT isn't that bad and people are talking about it like it's absolutely pointless. It's faster (however much by) from what we know by now and around 15% cheaper. It's a step forward.

I wish people would stop using ray-tracing as a reason to buy a 2070 too, I mean honestly the 2070 can barely handle ray tracing at frame rates anyone would be happy with. If someone really wanted to play with ray-tracing they definitely wouldn't be buying a 2070.

Soldato
I Don't think AMD expect to sell much navi at what it's priced at, discrete consumer GPU market is tiny for them so the are just going to try and make big margins. If they don't sell, so what.

Associate

I bought my gigabyte windforce 7970 for £330 around 5 months after release.

Im still using it to this day, i was hoping to replace it with 5700 series but now given the price/performance increase compared with the 2060/2070 i doubt i will. I was thinking the new card was going to be in the £300-£350 price bracket and be faster than a 2070 by a nice margin

So will just upgrade my CPU to the new ryzens and hold out for the next refresh. I hardly use my pc for gaming these days anyway, But would have been nice to get back into it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom