• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
This card is a direct Polaris replacement. Should have been marketed with slides about how much the performance improvement over RX 590 is, and put the price tag accordingly.
Why they ignore that the RTX 2070 is different technology and they have no answer for it at the hardware level... is bizzare.

The 2070/2060 as RTX cards just don't cut it. The 2080 itself barely cuts it. Most games are also not RT so AMD wanted to show normal performance and done it v the direct competitor which it beats. The price difference to Polaris is huge so they would be shooting themselves in the foot to make it look like a Polaris replacement. You can see in here already why that would not have went down well as the pricing is not any where close to our liking never mind if they said it was a $500 replacement for the $240 rx480 and other variants (580/590)

Permabanned
The 2070/2060 as RTX cards just don't cut it. The 2080 itself barely cuts it. Most games are also not RT so AMD wanted to show normal performance and done it v the direct competitor which it beats. The price difference to Polaris is huge so they would be shooting themselves in the foot to make it look like a Polaris replacement. You can see in here already why that would not have went down well as the pricing is not any where close to our liking never mind if they said it was a $500 replacement for the $240 rx480 and other variants (580/590)

For me the problem is that by using this exact pricing for the new 5700 XT, they don't move the generations forward.
They must rebrand the RX 590 to 5500 XT or something and then put the 5700 XT at 329$ maximum.

Soldato
For me the problem is that by using this exact pricing for the new 5700 XT, they don't move the generations forward.
They must rebrand the RX 590 to 5500 XT or something and then put the 5700 XT at 329$ maximum.

Was there not a rumour that there was 6 different chips on Navi. So possibly there is other Navi based chips that will be coming to fill that tier. I doubt they will be anything special as these are the chips we wanted in that segment. What we want and what we get seems to be widening with every gpu release whether that's NV or AMD.

Soldato
Both the Navi chips are faster than what they are up against but it's still the same ball park performance for similar money so we are no further ahead.

Damn. So once again arrive late with marginal increases in performance and performance per dollar.

Really disappointed. At least their processors kick ass.

Soldato
Damn. So once again arrive late with marginal increases in performance and performance per dollar.

Really disappointed. At least their processors kick ass.

AMD pushed ahead in the CPU space because Intel has had it's finger up it's butt for the last 5 years.

Nvidia has not made that mistake, they are consistently innovating and out innovating AMD, so it's really hard for AMD to actually beat them if they don't slow down their innovation and RnD.

At this point, we have to admit that AMD can't out innovate Nvidia and they're going to keep struggling until Nvidia makes a mistake like Intel did

Soldato
This card is a direct Polaris replacement. Should have been marketed with slides about how much the performance improvement over RX 590 is, and put the price tag accordingly.
Why they ignore that the RTX 2070 is different technology and they have no answer for it at the hardware level... is bizzare.

I do not see the point gaming at 24-30fps at 2560x1440 on £450 card, using Ray Tracing, or making the image quality worse by using DLSS.
And I am not alone laughing at your argument right now.

Associate
Nvidia has not made that mistake, they are consistently innovating and out innovating AMD, so it's really hard for AMD to actually beat them if they don't slow down their innovation and RnD.

Virtually all the innovation has been on AMD's part. Certainly as it relates to the consumer space. NVIDIA have produced fast silicon, and that's about it .... unless you count the various proprietary standards that tend to gimp their own performance, and AMD's more so.

And please don't mention RTX ... that's probably 2 generations off being useful.

Soldato
I do not see the point gaming at 24-30fps at 2560x1440 on £450 card, using Ray Tracing, or making the image quality worse by using DLSS.
And I am not alone laughing at your argument right now.

24fps? Looks more like 50fps average to me

Virtually all the innovation has been on AMD's part. Certainly as it relates to the consumer space. NVIDIA have produced fast silicon, and that's about it .... unless you count the various proprietary standards that tend to gimp their own performance, and AMD's more so.

And please don't mention RTX ... that's probably 2 generations off being useful.

RTX is innovation, it doesn't matter what you subjectively think of it.
As is Turing and Pascal, significant architecture updates compared to AMD's GCN rebrands prior to Navi .

Soldato
24fps? Looks more like 60fps to me

RTX is innovation, it doesn't matter what you think of subjectively.
As is Turing and Pascal, significant architecture updates compared to AMD's rebrands .

On a heavily overclocked 2070 "A" chip with street value £550.
Run on the mill 2070s at £450 cannot hit those speeds. You lucky hitting 1700.

Soldato
On a heavily overclocked 2070 "A" chip with street value £550.
Run on the mill 2070s at £450 cannot hit those speeds. You lucky hitting 1700.

Here comes the excuses, didn't take long

What happened to the narrative of overclocking Turing is pointless

Shills can't make up their mind

Soldato
24fps? Looks more like 50fps average to me

RTX is innovation, it doesn't matter what you subjectively think of it.
As is Turing and Pascal, significant architecture updates compared to AMD's GCN rebrands prior to Navi .

Did you even bother to watch the video. 3 of the scenes were in the 40's while one dropped into the 30's. Nothing was happening either so it would be even worse if he was actually in battle. While rtx off was giving around double the fps. We don't play fps games to concentrate on reflections and stay static admiring the surrounds unless you want to be shot in the head. I honestly wouldn't notice or care about rtx effects in the heat of battle as soley am there to shoot people and stay alive.

Soldato
The best strategy at the moment I think is to do nothing. There's obviously quite a lot to we don't know. What will Navi be like with third party cards, what will super bring and what will all this do to pricing.

I'm just going to keep saving up and buy some popcorn ;)

Back
Top Bottom