Xbox app on win 10 - issues

Soldato
Hi all,

I saw the recent offer for a month for a pound so grabbed the download and signed up online.

Trying to launch the app though created pop up warnings about it not having access to the folder, I'd had to update win 10 to use it so thought maybe it was that. I'd had to do a reg edit to get it to update due to some USB drive error.

I gave all the accounts full access to the folder and tried launching it again. New error:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.GamingApp_1906.1001.33.0_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe...\Xbox.exe

The parameter is incorrect.

Any ideas? Google isn't revealing a lot

Soldato
You need build 1903 of Windows 10. Its blocked on several devices from installing until you upgrade to build 1903.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like your OS is a bit borked.

I would run the OS repair option (the one that does not effect personal files) and see how that goes.

Think you may be right, I tried creating a second account for the wife several months ago which broke the system. Managed to fix it but it highlighted an issue. I upgraded from Win 7 to 10 so maybe it's time for a fresh install.

You need build 1903 of Windows 10. Its blocked on several devices from installing until you upgrade to build 1903.

First time I tried to install it died, then win 10 upgrade assistant kicked in and updated it. It's been playing up since in that it seems to be shutting down instead of hibernating, dark theme on everything, just random settings I'd not touched previously.

Soldato
Think you may be right, I tried creating a second account for the wife several months ago which broke the system. Managed to fix it but it highlighted an issue. I upgraded from Win 7 to 10 so maybe it's time for a fresh install.

First time I tried to install it died, then win 10 upgrade assistant kicked in and updated it. It's been playing up since in that it seems to be shutting down instead of hibernating, dark theme on everything, just random settings I'd not touched previously.
It was probably blocked on your PC now you know why! MS block OS upgrades now if they detect your PC has something which will cause an issue. Finding out what it is & how to solve is a major headache.

Soldato
OP
It was probably blocked on your PC now you know why! MS block OS upgrades now if they detect your PC has something which will cause an issue. Finding out what it is & how to solve is a major headache.

I bought a 480gb SSD 5 months ago with the intention of reinstalling and upgrading but never got around to it, guess that's one of my tasks this weekend, just hate copying files over and reinstalling everything.

Soldato
OP
Fresh SSD, win 10 installed and updated to 1903.

Xbox app installed fine and Metro Exodus installing as I type.

Now the ballache of reconfiguring all the other drives and reinstalling everything and copying bits over from the old drive.

Associate
I was tempted in by the price too, but I can only install first party Microsoft games, anything else like Metro for example just throws an error.

As with the OP i had some problems installing the app too and updating Windows etc to get it to work.

Back
Top Bottom