*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Hay - MissChief - when will Sky solve the "issue" that is stopping people without a boxset subscription from downloading Riviera S2 in UHD?
I'm only asking here on a complete off-chance. Mainly because Sky support thus far have been a complete waste of time.
You've got a series that is being constantly advertised, however right now, despite being aired recently, it's not possible to download Episode 3.
With Sky support you get one of three basic responses:- "I'll send an update to your box now, reboot and try again". or "You don't have a subscription for that program" or "We'll arrange for another update to your account"

Soldato
Hay - MissChief - when will Sky solve the "issue" that is stopping people without a boxset subscription from downloading Riviera S2 in UHD?
I'm only asking here on a complete off-chance. Mainly because Sky support thus far have been a complete waste of time.
You've got a series that is being constantly advertised, however right now, despite being aired recently, it's not possible to download Episode 3.
With Sky support you get one of three basic responses:- "I'll send an update to your box now, reboot and try again". or "You don't have a subscription for that program" or "We'll arrange for another update to your account"

How is it an issue? It's not catch up it's a box set. The series hasn't fully aired yet therefore you can't "catch up" with a series that hasn't been broadcast, the UHD version is obviously a box set as it's not aired in UHD.

Why not pay for ultimate on demand and save 1.99 a month (after Netflix increases the sub)

Soldato
How is it an issue? It's not catch up it's a box set. The series hasn't fully aired yet therefore you can't "catch up" with a series that hasn't been broadcast, the UHD version is obviously a box set as it's not aired in UHD.

Why not pay for ultimate on demand and save 1.99 a month (after Netflix increases the sub)
He says in his post that Ep3 has already aired but is not available ...

Soldato
Indeed it was a complaint about box sets and availability of UHD - however the complaint is now the fact that E3 of S2 has now aired and I cannot download it in UHD. I can download E1 & 2 and even E4 - however I am continuously informed that I don't have a valid subscription to download E3 in UHD.
Sky support have been absolutely fantastic, not - if they are to be believed I've had around 4 updates sent to my box so far - this seems to be the default response from them at the moment. When I tell them it made no difference it's a race to get my off the call/chat as quickly as possible.

I spend additional each month wit Sky so that I could have UHD - I knew there wasn't that much content, but was happy enough knowing I'd be able to watch "new content" and now I cannot even do that.
I wonder if there is any breach of contract here.....no, not looking for compensation, but Virgin keep on sending me through amazing deals to go join them and now I wouldn't miss Atlantic they are a lot more viable.

Soldato
Indeed.
I'm considering dropping UHD as the quality compared to standard HD isn't that much of an improvement certainly when compared to Netflix UHD & certainly not worth an extra £13pm.
I have to agree it doesn't seem to present particularly good value. Compared to UHD/HDR/Dolby Vision discs on my 4k player, it just isn't nearly as good. Hopefully they'll split the uhd and multiroom cost soon, because the extra TV is the only reason I'm paying the extra for at the moment, not really the uhd.

Soldato
Is there any news yet on when the Sky & BT Sport deal is going to come to fruition? It's been 18 months since it was announced and nothing since!

Caporegime
Is there any news yet on when the Sky & BT Sport deal is going to come to fruition? It's been 18 months since it was announced and nothing since!
All we've heard is sometime later this year. I suspect BT are trying to be greedy and either asking for more or want to try and wait until Champions League starts so they can tie people into new contracts.

Soldato
All we've heard is sometime later this year. I suspect BT are trying to be greedy and either asking for more or want to try and wait until Champions League starts so they can tie people into new contracts.

Ah ok thanks. I'm fully expecting this "deal" to be nothing of the sort and still cost the same as it does currently to add the channels directly via BT, the only difference will be the convenience of one bill, just as with Netflix.

Caporegime
Ah ok thanks. I'm fully expecting this "deal" to be nothing of the sort and still cost the same as it does currently to add the channels directly via BT, the only difference will be the convenience of one bill, just as with Netflix.
If you already have Box Sets with Sky you can save 5-7 per month compared to taking direct through Netflix. I'd imagine it'll be £10-£15pm.

Soldato
If you already have Box Sets with Sky you can save 5-7 per month compared to taking direct through Netflix.

Except Sky STILL have no HDR support, about the only 4K platform left that doesn't.

I'd imagine it'll be £10-£15pm.

If it's around that price I might consider adding it tbh (already have Sky Sports). The current £36+ direct via BT is daylight robbery.

Soldato
The current £36+ direct via BT is daylight robbery.
is it more economic to take the BT broadband, rather than sky, and then benefit from the reduced BT tv price - that's what we do.

HDR towards the end of the year is all I’ve heard.
worldwide are there other broadcasters doing live hdr/4k sports ? not sure the camera infrastructure and encoding workflows are up to the job yet.
edit: well BT just started - how was it ? BT to debut HDR with free Champions League Final broadcast

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom