• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
I was more excited by the potential gameplay implications of the ray tracing cores and the extra tech in the RTX cards which obviously hasn't happened.

I own a 2080 but honestly I'm very very bored of chasing the graphics card specs without evolutions in gameplay. I feel like we're really stagnating in game design which is sad. I was hoping to see way more advanced AI in games or something.

Its probably why I now prefer VR games where possible, I just feel like they're innovating a little more there.

I think people hating on the 2080 or 2080ti for being able to raytrace to a decent degree at high resolutions is just silly. Yes, there is a premium for a feature which will come to the masses in a couple of years, just like there is with all new tech. If you don't see the value in it, don't buy it.

As much as we all hate on Nvidia for price gouging, AMD are just consistently arriving too late to the party with cards which aren't pushing Nvidia to drop prices at all. If anything, they want their slice of the pie too from the users who are willing to wait for a card with the AMD badge on it. We're getting rinsed from both sides here and until the games consoles catch up with the PS5/Scarlet, I think thats how it'll be.

Soldato
Like the humble beginning of PhysX?

Not that it's the same thing as it's fundamentally changing the visuals of the game and not just adding a bunch of crappy pieces of cloth to a game you can fiddle with, still though.
(Hardware) physx was fantastic and far ahead of anything equivalent at the time and games like the Arkham series and borderlands 2, the difference physx made was far far greater than any other detail settings or resolution bump. Such a shame it was locked to NV as it meant it never really took off :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Remedy's Control is the first AAA game to feature the full RTX package like Quake II.

It's confirmed that Control uses Ray Traced Global Illumination, Shadows and Reflections

Release date is 27 August 2019

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick picture I took, pitty about the low resolution on the video

You can see all 3 in action here

Red circle shows the difference in Global Illumination for the lighting model with RTX, creating a much bigger difference between light and dark areas of the screen, greatly improving colour contrast and making the colours pop more with RTX on - look at the red carpet on the floor :)

Green shows how the shadows take on a more natural deep black and diffused look with RTX

Yellow shows the RTX reflections - I personally find the reflections on the floor to be overdone, it's like they used polished metal flooring panels which you don't usually find in a office setting

d3sjhy1g.ah3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I was saying the same thing in another thread - some effects look great, others look OTT. At the end of the day, I guess it's just down to personal taste. I'm sure other artists will use a more subtle, nuanced approach.

Man of Honour
Quick picture I took, pitty about the low resolution on the video

I think once developers get to grips with it and produce more realistic/subtle implementations it will become a bit like the 60Hz versus 120Hz monitor thing and people will start to see the limitations and problems with older techniques much more than they did and find it less acceptable to go back to.

Soldato
Afaik it's not going to be DLSS enabled either right? Gonna be curious to see what tweaks will allow for decent performance at 4K. Perhaps the individual elements will be able toggalable rather than have just RTX be on fully.

Soldato
I’ve not heard nor can I find anything that mentions Control having DLSS - perhaps Remedy believes they have optimized the performance to not need DLSS - and yeah I hope it’s not just a on and off, it would be best if you could toggle on and off each feature

Soldato
The 2080ti is super capable with ray tracing at 4K 60 In single player games.
It’s just multiplayer it cannot hit the frames because everyone wants 144hz
2080 and 70 are too at the right resolutions. 2080 perfectly fine for 1440p but wouldn't use one at 4K. Games struggle without rt too, poorly optimised often I think. Even FarCry 5 new dawn is a 60 fps game with most settings maxed, lower than BFV rt on and max everything.
Going to be good seeing rt improving over the years as hardware and software aspects improve

Last edited:
Soldato
is there any concrete reporting that there is going to be a 2080Ti super edition? So far i just see one website reporting it.

I have seen a great deal on a 2080Ti and was seriously consider taking it, but dont want to buy this and 2 weeks later a 2080Ti super gets released which is much faster at same price point?

any idea of performance numbers for this 2080Ti super.

Soldato
is there any concrete reporting that there is going to be a 2080Ti super edition? So far i just see one website reporting it.

I have seen a great deal on a 2080Ti and was seriously consider taking it, but dont want to buy this and 2 weeks later a 2080Ti super gets released which is much faster at same price point?

I would wait a few weeks. It’s all change.

Soldato

I'd doubt more than 10% performance boost for a 2080 ti Super. Depending on how good the 2080 ti deal is for you, I'd just take that.

Soldato

Both the FE 2070 and 80 are OOS (assuming new card arrival imminent) but not the Ti. I'll be a bit surprised if there's not a new Ti based on surplus Titan cores at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato

No one knows, I would wait for benchmarks. A super version will only devalue the existing lines meaning a better buy for you.

Back
Top Bottom