The constant fear of the door basher

Soldato
Okay, so who else out there is going to admit to worrying about this? I'm not talking "ooh, I'll park out of the way". Oh no, I'm talking full lap of the car park, socially profiling the owner of every car, looking for the points where people are going to walk between cars, trying to find the prime spot, walking away from the parked car, then going back to move it because you've seen a better spot. Then still thinking an hour later "nah, I should have gone for that space between the two tidy cars rather than going for the end space and risking someone parking next to me".

The irony is that I always say to other people "it makes no difference where you park, you are just as likely to get hit". I even proved this by parking in a row of 6 empty spaces at the services to come back, cappuccino in hand, to some fat lump levering herself out of her battered Fiesta. The obligatory (and completely pointless) post parking inspection showed the tell tale vertical clean stripe and even a clean, two stage polish and wax hasn't totally removed the mark... not that anyone else can see it but to me it is like a neon beacon of humanity's inconsiderate nature. Still I almost got 1000 miles on the car before that happened, not bad going.

I'm thinking I need either therapy or a battered old wreck I don't care about. Perhaps some support from others that worry about these things will help in the meantime!

Man of Honour
Yeah the number of times I've come out with a half empty car park and found someone has parked right next to me rather than in the dozen empty spaces around... especially as I drive a bigger vehicle you'd think they'd give themselves more space... accidents happen but if I saw someone unconcernedly connecting with my vehicle with their door I'd probably lose it (even though mine isn't in an amazing state due to the use it gets but still).

Soldato
OP
Get a daily beater OP
The absolute irony of it all... I've actually got a company car! People say I shouldn't care about it but it's new, I pay a fortune every month in tax to have it and I want to keep it tidy.

I am less precious about the MX5 as that has many a ripple down the doors and seems to pick up a new mark if you look at it funny.

Associate
People always seem to want to park next to my car?
I can pick a space on the dam moon and next thing you know some bloody banged up people carrier or crossover will be right next to it.

You should be allowed to shoot folk who let there kids kick open doors onto your car.

Soldato
OP
Sounds miserable. Why put yourself through it: just drive an older car.
I've always been like it. I had a brief rest bite when I had ex pool cars as company cars as they were batted beyond the point even noticing another mark.

6 year old 306 (owned to 9 years old)
4 year Octavia (owned to 9 years old)

Exactly the same with those. To be honest I'm still pretty bad with the MX5 and my wife's car :o

Caporegime
I managed 15 months with only one ding not long after I got it, and that was parked at home, thankfully it mostly polished out and I told the neighbour to watch it in future.

I always parked as far from other cars as I could at the supermarket.

I've now sold my car so I no longer have to worry.

Associate
Seriously, why the **** do people park next to you when you are in the middle of nowhere? Are they doing this on purpose? Or are they subconsciously thinking being near other people = better/safer? Blows my mind every time. I could park in the middle of a farmers field and I would come back to some pleb next to me. :mad:

/rant

Last edited:
Soldato
My dad picked up his brand new I-Pace the other week. Within a few days of ownership he was in a car park when someone parked next to him and got out, hitting his car with the door, while he was sat in the car!! No idea how he restrained himself

I quite enjoy not having to worry about my car. Left it parked in a hedge at the weekend to get off a single track road

Soldato
Last year I went from a 20 year old banger to a 6 year old GT86 and I feel like I'm gonna come back to a scratch/ding everytime I leave it in a carpark. I try to park at the back whenever I can, and avoid multistoreys as much as possible.

Soldato
Last year I went from a 20 year old banger to a 6 year old GT86 and I feel like I'm gonna come back to a scratch/ding everytime I leave it in a carpark. I try to park at the back whenever I can, and avoid multistoreys as much as possible.

They dent very easily due to the lightweight panels too :(

Back
Top Bottom