• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Associate
If these prices are correct I'm definitely out. If you see enthusiasts baulking at buying you know there is something wrong. What's with all the 2080 versions too, bizarre... If you're not buying on credit or are just a normal (not rich) customer these prices are a large percentage of the cost of an entire build.

I think it's only going to get worse. We really need AMD to step up and challenge at high end, or else Nvidia can just keep increasing their prices, and eventually consumers are going to have some tough choices to make about their hobby.

We were told when the prices originally shot up that it was because of mining depleting stock levels, what's the latest excuse? :confused:

Associate
Interesting how OCUK raised ALL prices again. The Zotac RTX2080 extreme edition for example was under £700 yesterday. Back to silly £900 today. Mark up on these cards are insane. Seems illogical if these SUPER cards are meant to be announced any day and price cuts are meant to happen. Is it one final dash for ridiculous profits before a reduction across the board?

In regards to loadsofmoney's comment, for the first time i think many of the enthusiastic people on this board and around the world have had enough and are not buying. But unfortunately if nvidia are getting 60% of the regulars to pay double the price and therefore double the profits, they are still making more money than getting 100% buying at the normal price. Idiots these days would rather have the latest and greatest gadgets like Apple stuff than pay for their secured debts or basic food. I know because i work for a lender and deal with peeps in arrears.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yep, ive said it before, Nvidia are not the ones to blame for the high prices, its us, plain and simple.

If we just left them on the shelves, left them piling up in warehoues, they would sharp drop, but we won't.

20s too high and not selling, absolute rubbish, they've been out nearly a year now, and their prices are still the same, and theres now a Super range coming, at (supposedly) the same prices.

Theres just no way in hell, Nvidia would let their cards go unsold for this long, there would be absolutely billions of them piled up by now, they would have to stop production for gods sake. :p

bib, this 100%. :D
LEts put it like that for NV that likae OWNS gpu gaming market. Selling 2 cards and making 400 is worse deal than selling 1 and making 400. You know why ?? Cause there will be less Second hand cards on the market whe people upgrade and rest wont have option of buying cheap cards. Also less logistic and warranty cost. Less cards sold less will brake simple.

Permabanned
I think it's only going to get worse. We really need AMD to step up and challenge at high end, or else Nvidia can just keep increasing their prices, and eventually consumers are going to have some tough choices to make about their hobby.

We were told when the prices originally shot up that it was because of mining depleting stock levels, what's the latest excuse? :confused:
Brexit :D

Soldato
Interesting how OCUK raised ALL prices again. The Zotac RTX2080 extreme edition for example was under £700 yesterday. Back to silly £900 today. Mark up on these cards are insane. Seems illogical if these SUPER cards are meant to be announced any day and price cuts are meant to happen. Is it one final dash for ridiculous profits before a reduction across the board?

In regards to loadsofmoney's comment, for the first time i think many of the enthusiastic people on this board and around the world have had enough and are not buying. But unfortunately if nvidia are getting 60% of the regulars to pay double the price and therefore double the profits, they are still making more money than getting 100% buying at the normal price. Idiots these days would rather have the latest and greatest gadgets like Apple stuff than pay for their secured debts or basic food. I know because i work for a lender and deal with peeps in arrears.

Green is also the sign of envy.

Associate
CRY AND BUY thats how it is nowadays

Not necessarily. There is obviously the option to just not buy, switch to console or buy 2nd hand. Although with these prices, the 2nd hand prices are what we should have been paying for brand new.

I'm glad I built my PC back in the Maxwell days when GPU prices weren't BS. Still chugging along on good old 980ti... no need to take out a loan for an upgrade.

Caporegime
Imagine how bad it would get if AMD ever left the market! You'd need a mortgage for Nvidia's products! :D

I think in reality prices wont actually change that much. Remember, regardless of AMD in the market, Nvidia's (and any companies goal) is to maximize profit. Somewhere there is a sweet spot between higher volume low profit, and high-profit lower volume. It doesn't really look like Nvidia pays much attention to AMD pricing, they are simply testing the market and finding that sweet spot. AMD themselves are not keen to push nvidia into a price war, so there is no competition.

This is a fairly fundamental flaw in the capitalist ideal of market competition. All companies want to maximize profit, and sell products at the highest possible margin the market will withstand. Companies don;t actually want to lower margins if they don't have to. In a market with very few providers there is thus a tendency to all cooperate and sell at the maximal profit margin. Effectively a duopoly tends to operate in much the same way as a monopoly. Currently Nvidia are happy with 80+% of the market, AMD are happy to have 20% and higher margins.

The idea that Nvidia would simply charge 3K for 2070 if it wasn't for AMD is just nonsense.

If AMD were to disappear Nvidia would still have to innovate and create products that people want in order to generate sales. The better Nvidia innovated and made bigger jumps in performance or features the more sales they would make. If AMD left the market, NVidia's would change strategy in more subtle ways. Releases might be further apart to better align with full node changes, but would ofer a bigger performance change. All launches would be hard, drivers even more mature at launch. It is liekly new features would be a prominent marketing point. Nvidia might work even closer with Developers to integrate these new features in order to drive upgrades.

Soldato
So is something actually coming or not? Things like this seem to be announced so early these days and take forever for something to actually happen.

Back
Top Bottom