Golf Thread

Associate
Can anyone spec me a golf bag? I've never bought one, only ever had hand-downs from my Dad.

I'm after a stand bag, one that's decently substantial with good pockets. Mainly after something that will last a while and be comfortable to carry. Budget up to £140. Semi-fussed that it's a good brand :D

I would buy a bag that’s waterproof, the last thing you want is everything getting wet and you bag soaked through then you have to worry about drying everything out, my carry bag is a Titleist StaDry, designed for the wet weather still looks brand new after 5/6 years. Sorry that’s over your budget but it’ll give you an idea as other brands make the same.

Soldato
Going to have a look at the Futjoy Flex trainers today, i have adidas golf shoes at the moment but they're a bit hot in this weather. The addidas have the nice twist thing for the laces which will be missed. I oculd do with a stand bag, the big bag max heaven 7 looks good value for money

Soldato
I have a pair of FootJoys and they're incredibly comfortable, with a great pair of soles that grip nicely. Definitely worth the sale prices!

On another note, currently beginning week 7 of a bag exchange with Online Golf (american golf). They keep trying to send to my old address, for both pickup and now delivery. I tell them that its changed, same old. The letter in there with the original receipt had it clearly stated but... Last time I ever deal with them. Golf Online and Clubhouse Golf on the other hand have both been excellent.

Also managed to rim almost every putt on sunday, meaning 2 putt minimum.

Soldato
I got footjoy they were cheaper than most places online. Played well today, not quite to my Handicap but was quite consistant. Used ny5 iron off the t for most holes and it went straight and fairly long, really should sort my driver out seen as I'm soo all over the place with it.

Anyone had a putter fitting before? I've got a pinseeker one from about 15 years ago which I'm using

Caporegime
I'd say I've recently 'got into' Golf recently, truth be told I've been to a range five times, and played a shirt course twice (which is now closed thanks to HS2)

Recent purchased a second hand set of clubs for the grand total of £20 :p Trying to go more often and need to get on some short courses to build up some confidence and game experience

I know golf isn't exactly a poor man's game, but are there things people do to make the hole thing any cheaper? In terms of physically playing and using a range?

Soldato
Depends on time i think, courses near me are around £40-50 a round and there's no public driving range. The club i'm a member of is £710 a year which allows access to the driving range, the balls cost on top but i just pay £100 a year for a ball card that is unlimited so for £810 + £25 for the locker i can play as much golf and hit as many balls as i have time to. That brings the round costs down and the practice costs down.
You could just play pitch and put but that doesn't help much with the state some of the courses are in.

Soldato
I'd say I've recently 'got into' Golf recently, truth be told I've been to a range five times, and played a shirt course twice (which is now closed thanks to HS2)

Recent purchased a second hand set of clubs for the grand total of £20 :p Trying to go more often and need to get on some short courses to build up some confidence and game experience

I know golf isn't exactly a poor man's game, but are there things people do to make the hole thing any cheaper? In terms of physically playing and using a range?

It depends what you have around you locally. There are some good deal websites for cheap golf, such as Golfnow and Teeofftimes, and courses themselves often run deals for cheap rounds and range balls. Although the range is a good starting point for new golfers, there's no replacement for getting out on the course, and if you get hooked on golf then come winter you'll wish you made the most of the longer days at this time of year. Personally I'd suggest finding a course that offers 9 holes of golf and try to get out on the course when it's a bit quieter, whether that means taking a day off work during the week, or playing 9 in the evening after work.

Caporegime
Depends on time i think, courses near me are around £40-50 a round and there's no public driving range. The club i'm a member of is £710 a year which allows access to the driving range, the balls cost on top but i just pay £100 a year for a ball card that is unlimited so for £810 + £25 for the locker i can play as much golf and hit as many balls as i have time to. That brings the round costs down and the practice costs down.
You could just play pitch and put but that doesn't help much with the state some of the courses are in.

It depends what you have around you locally. There are some good deal websites for cheap golf, such as Golfnow and Teeofftimes, and courses themselves often run deals for cheap rounds and range balls. Although the range is a good starting point for new golfers, there's no replacement for getting out on the course, and if you get hooked on golf then come winter you'll wish you made the most of the longer days at this time of year. Personally I'd suggest finding a course that offers 9 holes of golf and try to get out on the course when it's a bit quieter, whether that means taking a day off work during the week, or playing 9 in the evening after work.

Cheers both

I love bear Milton Keynes, on my doorstep there's at least three driving ranges open to the public.

As I say we started using the shirt course in Aylesbury but that's since closed down. There's another in Wycombe I think that a friend has used a few times so we'll go there soon.

As for joining, I can't really afford £800 outright like that, wish I could but sadly not :p

Thanks for the info I'll have a read around, there is a club down the road where I work but it's somewhat expensive to join

Soldato
That American Golf bag exchange turned up. Sent a complete set. So not sure what I'm to do with it, although for their utter incompetence..

Also began regripping my Iron set. Picked up a full set of good condition Titleist 990DCI's (£65!! for 3-PW), and whilst they're an old club they have a great feel to them. Currently the grips are off, now to put the new ones on.

Caporegime
That American Golf bag exchange turned up. Sent a complete set. So not sure what I'm to do with it, although for their utter incompetence..

Also began regripping my Iron set. Picked up a full set of good condition Titleist 990DCI's (£65!! for 3-PW), and whilst they're an old club they have a great feel to them. Currently the grips are off, now to put the new ones on.

Where have you got your grips from? Mine will need replacing as they're cracking

Soldato
So £71 and you can use the course as much as you like?
a month yeh, so it works out £710 for year but the club want it in 10 payments so i pay £71 a month.

If i wasn't a member it would be £20 a round with a member or £50 without. I play every friday so get my monies worth

Soldato
yeh it is a really nice course, compared to some places its quite cheap too. Club house is good, PGA dude is good and my lad has membership there that gets him free lessons.

Soldato
Seem to be finding more and more unrepaired pitch marks. Quite annoying.

Although both myself and my mate I was playing with caused a pair of craters when we landed just before the green last weekend. Took some time to improve those thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom