• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
For the last few years Nvidia has increased prices a lot and people buy them and they will increase prices again 2020 I would think.
Yes Amd will follow suit just because in the past even when they had the better card Nvidia out sold them by a lot so what incentive has Amd to sell cheaper cards when Nvidia still gets 4 to 1 ratio.

Caporegime
Aren't you arguing against the same point you made earlier about Consumers paying high prices for the original Titan card causing this problem.

And plainly people aren't buying AMD cards no matter what they are priced at. So not sure they are getting the same free pass.

I'm not arguing against it.
People who buy the products at the poor pricing are to blame.
But at the same time people are buying and will continue to buy. They're not mutually exclusive statements.

And some people are giving AMD a free pass with their comments.

Caporegime
@Martini1991 See there really is no point. The usual tactics of deflection, "Nobody ever buys AMD", "It's (genuinely) different when AMD does it"... there just is no point.

You can't argue with these people they are AMD activists, lol. Reality must bend to fit with their agenda.

So yeah, nobody ever bought AMD. AMD are just "surviving" when they set high prices; nVidia are "price gouging" at exactly the same prices.

LOL.

Caporegime
I don't think AMD should be selling really cheap cards
But I don't think either company should continue exploiting their customers either.

You don’t have to buy the cards..it’s up to the consumer...iPhone sales have dropped due to people becoming tired of being drip fed minute changes every release...so they are missing out gens...it’s took a while but people are now making more informed choices...

People blindly bought into the 2080 series and succumb to the hype...this is not NV exploiting its customers...it’s the customers who are weak to cave in and spend £1300 on a gfx card. No self control....justifications to the hilt....
its my hobby, I don’t drink, I don’t go out, it’s my money etc...

All for what? Not a lot...and before you know it...the tech is dead and you’ve lost £600

But people don’t have any self control...their lives are that wretched they will do anything to fill that empty void in their lives.

You only have to read the cpu section..people genuinely excited for July 7th...
oooh I can’t wait...roll on the 7th...I can now have intel performance with AMD

I mean it a cpu...a 15% IPC gain...and most wouldn’t noticed if they nipped for a dump and you swapped their chips back to a 2700x without telling them...:p

But if a cpu release gets you moist...then each to their own...I’ll be getting a 3900x but I’m not excited by it...it’s a piece of hardware I’ll install overclock and then forget about....:p

Last edited:
Caporegime
When has AMD In multiple and quick succession had faster and cheaper cards?
There's examples of AMD having better cards at X or Y time. But they have never maintained it.

If AMD were winning mindshare then people would buy them. It's easier to sell an AMD user another AMD card than it is to sell them an Nvidia GPU.

When the 5870 came out it was top dog for ages and eventually Nvidia brought out their competitor which was a faster GPU. But who came out with the next GPU? Nvidia with the 580 and then the 6970 was slower. AMD took too long to progress.

Same happened with the 7970. The 7970 was the best of its generation but then it took AMD an age to compete with the new multiple GPU's Nvidia brought out that were faster than the 7970

Soldato
So you care about top end are you going to spend £1000 on a card if not why do you bring it up?, I care about the 150 to £200 and Amd has had quite a few better cards at that price,I don't care about cards above £300 never really have.

Soldato
Sorry, but, no, they didn't. Even the graph you linked to doesn't show that. The rise you see on the graph was due to the release of the Polaris cards.

If you are right then my point still stands. Polaris was priced decently and gained them share. Either way i was asked and i showed them gain share from decent pricing. So full new launch in the rx480 at decent prices clawed some market share back. I rest my case your honour.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So you care about top end are you going to spend £1000 on a card if not why do you bring it up?, I care about the 150 to £200 and Amd has had quite a few better cards at that price,I don't care about cards above £300 never really have.

Given the 5700XT should be in your budget, I think it's important.
You're the target audience for the product tier that the 5700XT is.

You're giving AMD a free pass for pricing you out of their new products that are meant to the tier you aim for.

Caporegime
Should have been in our budget ;) Will absolutely not be in our budget hehe. It's £400+, probably up to £500 for Asus models!

Perhaps AMD genuinely wants to push £150-£200 buyers to their AMD-powered consoles. Perhaps they actually are giving up on the PC GPU space entirely. Aside from a few sales to their biggest fans.

And by "few" I mean a handful, comparatively. Nobody that doesn't sleep with an AMD branded pillow is buying a 5700 at close to £400, and an XT for £430 ish.

Soldato

Maybe but they will price it about equal to Nvidia's card and as I don't play many games now I don't mind that much, I find a lot of games boring.
I would jump to console if one had very good K&m support.

Caporegime
Should have been in our budget ;) Will absolutely not be in our budget hehe. It's £400+, probably up to £500 for Asus models!

Perhaps AMD genuinely wants to push £150-£200 buyers to their AMD-powered consoles. Perhaps they actually are giving up on the PC GPU space entirely. Aside from a few sales to their biggest fans.

And by "few" I mean a handful, comparatively. Nobody that doesn't sleep with an AMD branded pillow is buying a 5700 at close to £400, and an XT for £430 ish.

My budget is ~500.
But I refuse to buy a mid tier product for that price.

Caporegime
My budget is ~500.
But I refuse to buy a mid tier product for that price.
Mine is what it needs to be. Normally that means up to £250 ish. (Current card is a 480, and I kick myself for not buying a 290/390 when they were dirt cheap. Those mid-week Vega 56 deals might even tempt me.)

But if there was an amazing value for money card at up to £350 ish, I could go for that.

I'd find it very hard to spend any more than that, because currently gaming isn't even my #1 hobby. Not because I can't, but because I set limits on my spending based on what I personally find justifiable. I could buy a 2080Ti but there's no way in hell I ever would. I'd feel so disappointed with myself. Buyer's remorse x2080 (million). Even tho it wouldn't hurt me at all (apart from the dirty feeling).

Back
Top Bottom