The Royals

Associate
Before I begin, let me make clear that I am as patriotic as the the next person, though I do feel maybe like the hit movie Gladiator starring Russell Crowe, that we should now consider becoming a republic on the following points:

1. Anyone can join the Royal Family, there does not seem to be an application process or criteria to become something akin to a 'living God'?

2. Princess Diana (god bless her soul) was a lovely lady in public, but enjoyed many relationships whilst still married to the future heir - should she simply not have resigned her post?

3. Does all the land that I live on belong to the queen in my country, if so, is this the same as Saudia Arabia? Do we need reform so families can own and farm their own lands?

4. According to wiki, the RF are self funding through tourism, and have billions in assets. Is it fair a cleaner should subsidise this in tax (no matter how small)?

Apologies if I cause offence to anyone, as I said, I am not unpatriotic, just living in modern times where things are no longer decided by swords, castles, and marching armies.

Soldato
It’s a shame you feel the need to start by saying you are as patriotic as the next person when you think that we should become a republic. The royal family are not our country and thinking they are an anachronism does not make you unpatriotic.

Associate
OP
It’s a shame you feel the need to start by saying you are as patriotic as the next person when you think that we should become a republic. The royal family are not our country and thinking they are an anachronism does not make you unpatriotic.

Thank you, and well put :)

In anachronistic times, "for Queen and Country" (left-wing), "fur Blood and Honour" (right wing) were clearly popular patriotic war slogans. I see no reason not to go Dutch style with something like:

"For my people, my lands and humanity” :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
just living in modern times where things are no longer decided by swords, castles, and marching armies.

You're not living in modern times if you think things are still decided by the sword and/or castles. When was the last time the Queen overruled any governmental decisions? You do know that her role is more symbolic now, especially since 2011 where she lost powers like being able to dissolve the ruling Government etc.

I will flip the coin and ask why people can't just accept that they are part of Britain and our heritage, they bring in more than they take (financially and diplomatically), and are not the evil lizard overlords conspiracy theorists seem to think. It's boring now people still think it's cool or fashionable to hate on the Royals.

Soldato
You're not living in modern times if you think things are still decided by the sword and/or castles. When was the last time the Queen overruled any governmental decisions? You do know that her role is more symbolic now, especially since 2011 where she lost powers like being able to dissolve the ruling Government etc.

I will flip the coin and ask why people can't just accept that they are part of Britain and our heritage, they bring in more than they take (financially and diplomatically), and are not the evil lizard overlords conspiracy theorists seem to think. It's boring now people still think it's cool or fashionable to hate on the Royals.

Awww man, my one and only claim to be cool or fashionable, gone :(

Personally, I don't see why they are so revered - yes, way back when it was all ruling Lords, castles, knights on horseback etc etc and your average dung thrower (such as myself) could hardly string together a sentence; I am sure they were the bees knees. But I expect a lot of that came from religion being the backbone, and 'Royals' were seen as beings appointed by God himself.

These days, to me at least, they are no different from champagne swilling footballers, or rich city folk with flash motors and whatnot - albeit, ones that give to charity. I add that, as I appreciate that the Royal Family do a lot more for good causes, than the majority of us - myself included. Whether it is forced upon them, so as to keep the unwashed masses quiet, who knows - I'll leave that train of thought to the evil lizard overlord conspiracy theorists :D

I guess I view fans of the Royals like followers of religion - it's all good so long as you don't go forcing it down other people's necks; I won't judge you if you need some outdated archaic *thing* in your life, but respect that others don't.

As for doing away with the Royals - no. I think they bring in a lot of tourism into our country, and for that alone, they should be left to do what they do.

Soldato
Every country needs someone with a posh house to impress the diplomats, the queen has long standing diplomatic connections and that's worth more than i think some give her credit for.

The americans just have trump, i think we have the better thing going.

Soldato
I am no monarchist but I think the Queen and certain royals do an extremely difficult job and have quite astounding experience, composure and dignity. I would, however, happily reform everything and do away with the majority of the Royal Family and its extended hangers-on.

I would have a very hard time bowing to any of them if I met them in person. None of them are better than any of us.

Soldato
Awww man, my one and only claim to be cool or fashionable, gone :(

haha sorry Scort, you're no longer cool!!

Agreed with your post, I'm not sure why some revere them as much as they do. I'm not actually a Royalist either, I do like them, but would not class myself as a 'fan'? I do have to admit though, it just annoys me when they get hate because people just don't understand how they work/fit in

Disclaimer: (not suggesting the OP is hating on them)

Soldato
Complicated one and you'd really need to know your history well to answer it which I don't.

Your always going to have power structure, a pyramid scheme. Get rid of them and you'll replace it with something else, similar to how they thought getting rid of saddam would stabilise Iraq/ME.

The world has changed so much over the last 50 years that the old guard don't really know how to respond anymore. Who'd have thought we'd be living in this Internet world 50 years ago. I have nothing but I'm sure they do add financially with tourism and all the other merc they generate directly or indirectly.

Soldato
If I was going to start a country today it would be a Republic, but I wouldn't change the UK, the Royals are part of our national identity and they actually do a good job from what I can see. The reason people want to remove them is just envy, instead of worrying about how much money the Royals have just focus on bettering yourself.

Soldato
I honestly don't get it, they generate huge sums of money via tourism and other methods, are figureheads for the country and The Queen is probably the most well known and loved leader on the planet.

We gain more by having them than not.

Comparing them to footballers etc I think is rather a joke, they work a hell of a lot harder and do a lot more than the people they are compared too.

I agree the outlying royal family are rather pointless, at what point do you cut them out? But The Queen, not so much Charles, and his kids work hard, do a lot of good and are nothing but a positive force for the country.

You also need someone to who ultimately has the power, even if it's not used, to oversee the current government and armed forces.

Soldato
haha sorry Scort, you're no longer cool!!

Agreed with your post, I'm not sure why some revere them as much as they do. I'm not actually a Royalist either, I do like them, but would not class myself as a 'fan'? I do have to admit though, it just annoys me when they get hate because people just don't understand how they work/fit in.

Ha! I can live with that, only a couple of years to 40, so I'll also be getting 'Dad dancing' lessons too :D

I guess the hate they get, although some may not fully hate them, just stems from the class-isms we have in this country - the poor and lower class, by and large, will always have some form of animosity towards those with wealth. Heck, I expect most of us, if we're being honest, have a couple of seconds when we think "flash ******" when we see someone driving a Ferrari :p If that ****** then started appearing in the papers all the time, and expected you to bow to them - it could lead to a form of hate I suppose.

I agree with what Edrof says, I personally would have a very hard time bowing to them - as I don't feel that they have any reason to be above me. I'd be interested whether our armed forces really believe in the whole fighting for Queen and Country too, I think that Country and the people fighting with you, is a much more modern pledge.

Feel like I'm waffling now - age :D

Soldato
+1 for the Queen

Benefits outweigh the bad but I dont revere them. They serve a purpose with both dignitaries from other countries and also provide that link to history which we seem to have a lot of

Soldato
Comparing them to footballers etc I think is rather a joke, they work a hell of a lot harder and do a lot more than the people they are compared too.

Not a joke, a bit tongue in cheek maybe, but it was meant as more of a reference to the have and have not mindset I suppose - I'll hold my hands up here and happily bow to your knowledge of their employment history - but your average lower-middle, lower or under class citizen will see all the tabloid shots of Harry, William or whoever else, in top of the range motors and nice clothes and think "flash *****" and the green eyed monster will start wondering what they have done to deserve that.

But hey, if they have all put in the hours working, and have earned those riches then fair play to them.

Soldato
Ha! I can live with that, only a couple of years to 40, so I'll also be getting 'Dad dancing' lessons too :D

I turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, it's over for me lol!

Regarding the bowing thing. I think that is all out of tradition rather than the Royals thinking they are superior.

But hey, if they have all put in the hours working, and have earned those riches then fair play to them.

A lot of their wealth is inherited. People have a problem with that too, but they wouldn't have a problem if their rich Nan left them a house though.

Permabanned
The Queens estate pays in roughly 4x what it takes from the treasury. So nobody subsidies them in reality.
I'm a republican at heart but, wouldn't deny this. The crown estate is the reason they still exist in the first place. Whilst the French were chopping heads off the British royalty reformed and gave the crown estates income to the government/ people.
As for All this tourism garbage, it peeves me off. Do people really think tourists would stop visiting former royal residencies? No they wouldn't.

Soldato
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm sure the reason that the crown estate gives it's money to the state is from a past royal who got into mountains of debt. Parliament made a deal to write off the debt as long as the revenue from crown estates went to the government from then on. It's not particularly out of their own kindness.

Back
Top Bottom