• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Interesting.. what is the smoothness attributed to in your opinion ? Just the extra cores or something to do with Ryzen specifically?

Not 100% sure. Somee games i play were/are single core based. I never really got to the bottom of it, it was really noticeable though. At first I thought it was just in my head, trying to justify the upgrade, then i noticed others were finding the same thing.

Maybe it lifts up FPS lows. I'm sure there are more tech savvy types on here that can explain it. :)

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm finally upgrading my 5820k to the 3800x.

If my budget for a motherboard was around £350, is the Taichi the best board in this price range and does anyone know when those G.skill Neo 3600 ram sticks will be released?

Thanks

Soldato
I get my 3700X tomorrow so this will make for a good comparison when I run it again.

4790K @ 4.4GHz (all core), 16GB 1800MHz RAM, GTX 1080 Armor OC

1920x1080 Ultra Preset - 33.8 FPS
3440x1440 Ultra Preset - 32.3 FPS

1920x1080 High Preset (same as review posted) - 40.7 FPS

Note sure how Jacky60 is getting 53.7 FPS on that, I guess Arma is making use of those 4 extra cores.
Thanks!

Associate
@Gibbo Are there any updates at all on the 3800x? Ordered on the 7th July around 4pm and believe I should be within the first batch of 3800x that have been assigned to OCUK going with your previous posts a few days ago.

I understand this is not just OCUK as no one seems to have their hands on a 3800x as yet, makes you wonder why they are so reluctant to have these in consumers hands though.

Was really hoping for a delivery before the weekend and if I need to I would upgrade my order to the 3900x, I notice on the site that these are due in tomorrow but have these all been pre-allocated to customers on Pre-Order or are there going to be surplus for new customers ?

Associate
I really don't think I need a fancy motherboard and want a 3700x
Equally, I don't think I can really be bothered going through the if's and but's of getting a B450/X470
What am a loosing out on over a more expensive board by going in at < £200 for a X570 and which one would you choose?
I asked quite a few pages back so forgive the repeat but some of you have more experience now

The msi x570-a pro is a good shout. 8+2 vrm, dual m.2. No WiFi but should be more than good enough for an 8 core.

Associate
yeah amd power plans are aggressive, and have a very high min clock speed. I would love to understand their reasoning for this, but I accept the explanation. However as an end user I would for sure personally verify the response by checked ryzen master to be sure the cores are actually been parked as I Wouldnt be happy with a 1.3+ idle voltage.

Also even without low idle voltages c states should lower the voltage, so curious if the OP on that reddit page had tinkered with c states, the AMD rep may be suggesting that C1 to C3 states are all been skipped and going straight to parking.

My 2600x at non turbo voltages (and under clocking disabled) will have voltages of about 1.05v, (99% in power plan). However AMD's power plans have extremely aggressive p-states where by cpu's will spend really small amount of time at non turbo clocks when under any kind of load. I expect this all contributes to what the poster was seeing.

I personally dont notice any difference in responsiveness between microsoft and amd power plans, but the mean average idle voltage is considerably lower on microsoft so thats what I go with on my ryzen rig when its bare metal windows.

Some info here on it.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...ng-cooling-part-2.423134/page-17#post-5679536

So they made p-states more aggressive similar to what speedshift does on intel, one of confirmed reasons was for benchmarking (not surprised) but a real world game is also given as an example, if its actually improving actual real world usage then fair enough its hard to argue with that.

--update after finishing read amd rep post---

It seems confirmed p states are too aggressive, apps like hwinfo when polling are triggering xfr clocks so polling apps always see voltage for boosted workloads. I expect AMD will likely retune p-states or work with app vendors so they poll in a way to not trigger the behaviour.
I have verified the information. Windows reports 4.25GHz all cores, but Ryzen Master is reporting parked cores and speeds as low as 200MHz. This is on a 3900X with stock BIOS F3 settings on an X570 Aorus Master.

Back
Top Bottom