Slug repellant

Associate
Hi all

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best slug / snail repellant? The more natural the better, for if it goes in the soil around the plants.

I read about a vaseline and salt mixture which was supposed to stop them, so I made a mixture, but it in a circle around a slug and the slug crawled straight over it!

It's for some veg that I'm growing, letuce, salad leaves, sprouts etc.

Cheers

Soldato
You can try making an environmentally friendly perimeter, using things such as copper, but the reality is that the slugs are already inside the perimeter.

Beer traps are ok, but the most environmentally friendly control you can get is to get a few hedgehogs.

Associate
OP
Cheers for your replies.
I forgot to mention I already tried copper tape, same thing happened with that as the Vaseline and salt, I stuck down a perimeter of coppertape on a piece of card and stuck a slug in the middle and the slug just crawled over it.

Also forgot to mention everything is in pots, so hedgehogs are out of the question but would certainly be very cute, and a few years ago I did try some beer traps and I didn't have much luck with those either.

I was thinking of putting something around the pots / containers and on the floor to try and keep them away but with what I've tried so far I've not had much luck, so maybe pellets will be a better option, but it worries me putting them in the pots and containers, is this really an issue, would the pellets affect the plants & soil? Or not?

Cheers

Associate
OP
So slight update, and not so good either. I decided to try a product called slug gone wool pellets, you put them in around the plant and when watering the plant, they all mat together to create a mat which is supposed to create a barrier for weeds and stop slugs crawling over as it's supposed to irritate them or something, but that doesn't work either.

I've been going out every couple of nights when it's dark with a torch and picking up all the slugs and snails and sticking them in a container and covering them with salt, but the more I kill off the more I seem to find, I must have picked up at least 30 this evening, the majority of them all over my potatoes, which are in grow bags, and they are absolutely destroying them! I've picked off some monster slugs tonight, they really have been feasting! Also they keep getting in the herbs which is really annoying!

Should have got some slug pellets at the same time to see how well they work :(

Soldato
Please don't use slug pellets, they're bloody awful.
Metaldehyde slug pellets will be banned soon, thankfully.

This.

Pellets consumed by a slug poisons other wildlife in your garden, not sure exactly what eat slugs, believe hedgehogs do and frogs?

Go out at night or after rainfall and just look at your vegetable plot to spot any slugs.

Soldato
A small pond and a few frogs moving in completely solved my slug and snail problem. Now all I find are empty shells scattered around.

Just don't make the mistake I did and fill the pond with tap water. Or it after about a month it will stink for weeks as it goes through a huge bacteria bloom :D

Associate
OP
So been out shopping for slug pellets and no where seems to have anything for slugs / snails.
So I ordered some stuff off eBay and they are supposed to be safe for wildlife and organic farming so hopefully what i bought will do the job.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom