• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX480 4GB Upgrade

Hi all,

After some advice if you'd be so kind. I am looking at upgrading my rx480 4gb to something more substantial.
I'd like to play at a better quality and more frames in games like far cry 5.
Also having to lower more and more settings to achieve 144 constantly (big teamfights etc) in overwatch which is my go to game.

I have a core i5-7400 cpu
16gb Hyper-x ram
Monitor is 144hz 1080p

PSU upgrade was needed so I've already upgraded that to a 650w PSU

I've been looking at the sapphire vega 56 for circa £250 - would the cpu bottleneck this card? Should I hold out / save up a little longer for the 5700 / XT or should i go for something else entirely.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Thanks folks, so the i5-7400 shouldn't bottleneck the card if I hang on for a 5700XT
It wouldn't be bottleneck too much if you were only gaming on 60Hz monitor, but trying to push 144fps at 1080p, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it will bottleneck when the graphic card or graphic quality in game ain't the limitation.

It wouldn't be bottleneck too much if you were only gaming on 60Hz monitor, but trying to push 144fps at 1080p, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it will bottleneck when the graphic card or graphic quality in game ain't the limitation.

Okay thank you, anything worth upgrading to on my chipset or would new mobo, cpu and ram be the way forward?

Soldato
Okay thank you, anything worth upgrading to on my chipset or would new mobo, cpu and ram be the way forward?
The 7700K would be the best you could do, but they're massively ovepriced even on the used market relative to what they offer in 2019. I'd have a good look at the Ryzen 3000 chips that have just come out. The 3600 in particular is excellent value for a gaming system. You could pick up one of those AND a motherboard for the price that the 7700K still goes for, and be far better off. You should be okay to keep your current RAM though.

The 7700K would be the best you could do, but they're massively ovepriced even on the used market relative to what they offer in 2019. I'd have a good look at the Ryzen 3000 chips that have just come out. The 3600 in particular is excellent value for a gaming system. You could pick up one of those AND a motherboard for the price that the 7700K still goes for, and be far better off. You should be okay to keep your current RAM though.

Once again thanks for the help and advice :) - this gpu upgrade is getting expensive!

Associate
I'd obviously need a new case at that point as well.... Right? Haha

It's happening to me at the moment, I've got a Ryzen 7 3700X and ASRock X570 Taichi chilling in the corner of my room, waiting to be put into a new build. I need a couple more bits and pieces though, and some time to spare! :D

Soldato
If it sounds like its getting too expensive, you're initial thought is still a very good option, it's a cracking card for £250 and would still be a massive upgrade on your 480. One upgrade does lead to another, I started wanting to replace the very same card last Septemeber and here I am 2 cards, a MOBO, RAM and a CPU later...and I'm still thinking I'd like another case and my PSU is now close to 8 years old...

It can be never-ending.

But for £250 you've got a very cost effective upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom