• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Just a reminder - you can still lose the silicon lottery. I picked up a 3600 to upgrade my htpc and play with Ryzen before committing. Got it water cooled (360 + ek velocity) in my test setup but lost the lottery big time. 4.175mhz all core max @ 1.42v 68c max load (and it only does 4.05ghz @ 1.325v). PBO is the way forward on that chip.

For that reason Ive gone for the 3800x instead of the 3700x for my gaming pc - they don't all do 4.3 all core and I'm hoping there's some binning going on for the high SKUs.

Associate
Does anybody disable smt? Using a 3700x atm coming from a 4c/4t disabling a 3700x to 8c/8t is still a massive improvement and surely has to be a better gaming experience? If all you do is game you hardly need 16 treads. I seem to be able to overclock at lower volts disabling smt too.

edit: Ok so i just benchmarked The Division 2 with a 3700x+gtx1070
High settings
1440p 8c @ 1.29v = score 5625 avg fps 63
1440p 16t @ 1.33v = score 5583 avg fps 62
1080p 8c @ 1.29v = score 8536 avg fps 95
1080p 16t @1.33v = score 8466 avg fps 95

Not much in it for this game anyway, this is all core 4.3ghz.
Seems 8c still wins, think i will leave smt off anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anybody disable smt? Using a 3700x atm coming from a 4c/4t disabling a 3700x to 8c/8t is still a massive improvement and surely has to be a better gaming experience? If all you do is game you hardly need 16 treads. I seem to be able to overclock at lower volts disabling smt too.
Pretty much the only game where turning off SMT helped fps in GN review was Total War. For others it made no difference and in couple cases actually lowered fps

Associate
Pretty much the only game where turning off SMT helped fps in GN review was Total War. For others it made no difference and in couple cases actually lowered fps

I've found the moment you turn off smt, the threads hop like crazy between cores. With SMT the threads stick to a core.

Associate
I've found the moment you turn off smt, the threads hop like crazy between cores. With SMT the threads stick to a core.
Not unexpected. With Microsoft, not all scheduler improvements turn out to be improvements. Probably if it doesn't see a familiar CCX topology, scheduler goes stupid.

Associate
Yes, they all will bench CB @ 4.4ghz. The best I have managed is 4.5 on a few of the cores to bench. I'm using the stock cooler currently (new one ordered) and it struggles.

I might try setting the LLC to something a bit beefier also at some point.

My best All core is 4.3 for a run on CB before the temp hits 95. At 95 it all shuts down.
I see well that's not as bad as I thought at least it does get to its advertised speed.

Soldato
I'm not quite sure where folks are getting a little confused on boost vs all core boost.
Advertised boosts is on 1 to 2 cores. That's been the case on Ryzen since gen 1 and... I'd be impressed if you can find sources saying otherwise for Ryzen 3.

That said... being short of advertised boost speeds on ANY workload IS cause for complaint.

Soldato
I'm still on the fence with an upgrade. Worth while? Money isn't the issue. I just don't want to do it if there really is no gains in gaming scenarios.

What you think 2700x -> 3800x?

I see from reviews on average it's about 12-16% gains in gaming.

Associate
Soldato
I'm still on the fence with an upgrade. Worth while? Money isn't the issue. I just don't want to do it if there really is no gains in gaming scenarios.

What you think 2700x -> 3800x?

I see from reviews on average it's about 12-16% gains in gaming.

For now.. I'm sticking with what i have in my sig, 2700X is enough for my uses right now.

Zen 2 next year will come soon enough and i bet 7nm+ will be a less buggy/much smoother launch BIOS wise etc.

Just purchased a 1TB Sammy 860 EVO.. i need another SSD more than a CPU upgrade to be perfectly honest :)

Soldato
For now.. I'm sticking with what i have in my sig, 2700X is enough for my uses right now.

Zen 2 next year will come soon enough and i bet 7nm+ will be a less buggy/much smoother launch BIOS wise etc.

Just purchased a 1TB Sammy 860 EVO.. i need another SSD more than a CPU upgrade to be perfectly honest :)

Yea you right. I should not upgrade the CPU. It's hard tho. I already pressed buy on a 3800x last week and then cancelled.

Associate

aorus and msi test boards

Very interesting and also a bit disappointing, interested to see if later bios etc make any difference.

I've a Asrock X470 Taichi / 2700X water cooled and enabling PBO makes a big difference in single core and multi core boosts.
Something like 3999 to 4125 all core, 4200 to 4349 single core.

However you cant change PPT TDC EDC manually on the X470 Taichi bios, but enabling PBO puts these so high as to be not relevant similar to Steves video, i.e 740w, 480a 650a.

So maybe all along i've been of the impression PBO is kicking arse, but maybe its just been the PPT etc raising allowing PB / XFR to do its thing with PBO perhaps not adding a great deal. Maybe theres a bit more room on Ryzen 2000 for Pbo against 3000 with better pb / xfr ?

Soldato
Yea you right. I should not upgrade the CPU. It's hard tho. I already pressed buy on a 3800x last week and then cancelled.

Even if i needed to upgrade, all these BIOS issues would put me right off anyway. I think its best to wait for things to settle at least.

Not advisable with M.2 disks.

Reason why i never touched BCLK.. Buildzoid said in a video a while back that it can kill M.2 drives, and they still aint cheap to be honest.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Reason why i never touched BCLK.. Buildzoid said in a video a while back that it can kill M.2 drives, and they still aint cheap to be honest.

That what warranties are for :) they offer you 3 and 5 year warranties for a reason :) when u think about how far ssd have come in just last 5 years speed reliability etc I’ve had 5 different ssd drives for my main boot drive alone. It’s not our job to make parts last if u have 3 or 5 year warranty make your parts work as hard as you can

Soldato
That what warranties are for :) they offer you 3 and 5 year warranties for a reason :) when u think about how far ssd have come in just last 5 years speed reliability etc I’ve had 5 different ssd drives for my main boot drive alone. It’s not our job to make parts last if u have 3 or 5 year warranty make your parts work as hard as you can

Its not worth the hassle of possible RMA for an extra few frames.

Soldato
Even if i needed to upgrade, all these BIOS issues would put me right off anyway. I think its best to wait for things to settle at least.

1TB for £60 (second hand) is pretty cheap?! :D ;)
or a new 660P for £85ish

Back
Top Bottom