• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Steam really makes it work from what I've seen, with the fans going up and down constantly, and temps bouncing between 55-65 degrees. Uplay not so much, so Steam does something different it seems, which works the CPU harder?

I think they may be doing some post-processing on the data as they are downloaded. Wonder what.

Soldato
i have my fans tied to water temp myself have done for a while people on aio or custom waterloops etc fan speed doesnt do much for overall temps well not quickly. i had my brother keep asking me how to change fan profiles on his 3700x as he cant stand the ramping up and down

I found a handy wee port plug with a thermistor built in for taking temps from water. Agreed on it seeming to be slightly more sensible.

If you google "port plug thermistor" you'll see what I'm on about pretty quick :)
My board certainly has headers for external temperature probes (comes with a couple) so that should work nicely.

I hunted down fans that I could essentially run 2 pinned with their PWM disabled so I can build around a set noise level. Basically have apache blacks at 100% (they say 16.x db, I'd say <20 either way.)

Last edited:
Soldato
Been thinking on it some more, if I moved to AMD I would probably go with now a 3700X rather than 3600X, struggling to find the justification on spending more to just go from 6/6 to 6/12, no actual new cores just the benefit of extra threading if I am spending 100s of pounds I may as well get some extra cores, but at the same time the 3700X doesnt seem worth spending on either from my 8600k so I think I may wait at least one more generation as well, and get back into the habit of waiting multi generations between spends again.

One thing for sure tho unless intel suddenly make some large unexpected gains, when I do upgrade it will be to AMD.

Soldato
Steam really makes it work from what I've seen, with the fans going up and down constantly, and temps bouncing between 55-65 degrees. Uplay not so much, so Steam does something different it seems, which works the CPU harder?

More download threads, checksum checking. Steam has torrent like algorithms for its downloads.

Soldato
I wonder if my Prime Pro x370 will struggle with 32Gb of ram at 3200MHz?

The latest BIOS (first since launch) has now finally unlocked the potential to run it at DOCP (3200MHz). Was just wondering if it would handle another 16Gb if I need to upgrade it in the near future at the same speed?

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding the "long winded" process of getting a loan CPU from AMD to do BIOS updates, I wonder if it'd be cheaper and easier for them to take otherwise complete trash CPUs (e.g. 14nm Zen 1 chips with only 1 working core), glue on a little heatsink (enough so it doesn't blow up while in the BIOS) and just give those away? I suppose they'd have had to think of it in advance cos the BIOSs themselves would need to at least recognise it as a chip that is "bootable to BIOS".

Or, you know, the much easier method of making USB flashing without a CPU mandatory on all AM4 motherboards. :p

Soldato
You'd hope it would have been implemented on all Motherboards by now (AMD and Intel), but alas not... maybe in another 10 years :)

Indeed. Though It's always on my "must have" list when purchasing motherboards. I don't see why people buy boards without it. The more consumers show that it's necessary to them, the more likely the board manufacturers will implement it.

Associate
I wonder if my Prime Pro x370 will struggle with 32Gb of ram at 3200MHz?

The latest BIOS (first since launch) has now finally unlocked the potential to run it at DOCP (3200MHz). Was just wondering if it would handle another 16Gb if I need to upgrade it in the near future at the same speed?

Quality of the RAM and IMC will dictate how far you can set the speed of the RAM. Of course, if the motherboard's BIOS has the available settings, too.

Soldato
It's been a while mid home improvements being arranged.
Meanwhile is this MSI entry level X570 going to suffice Ryzen3600.
X 570 A -PRO
Asking as others have raised concerns about limited PCI E 4.0

Gigabyte Gaming X is the best Buget board £182- not sure how budget you'd call it though - in terms of VRM design. Beast MSI Plus and equal with ASUS P

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £536.07 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Back
Top Bottom