• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Agreed!

I find it very disappointing that general ideas on how Radeon can be a better card can only be what one see's Nvidia do. There is no originality nor unique thought.
However, Radeon has offered: Freesync, Radeon Overlay (both at desktop and in game), Frame Rate Radeon Target Control, Image Sharpening, Radeon Anti Lag, Enhance Sync, Tessellation Control, Virtual Super Sample, Chill, etc.

Now they are offering a new Uarch which alleviates the short comings of GCN providing a performance boost using a lower end gpu that beats the V64 and competes well with a Radeon 7. Which hasn't been fully optimized in drivers yet. Furthermore, they are following a traditional trend of allowing AIB's to create their own PCB's and thermal solutions. Granted it could have been done earlier but that's neither here nor there.

I'm all for New ideas that would help Radeon be a better card. But would prefer Fresh, New ideas though. However, if it can only be "just" an observation on what Nvidia is doing with RTX that's something that I cannot give much credence to. :(

So to that end I have only one thought. Does AMD's lower end GPU, 5700 series, need a dual axle fan to mirror Nvidia's RTX series simply because someone noticed? No. No they don't. Because, at the very lest, the added cost would have prevented them from lowering the target price of the card to a level that is so attractive today! And, create a influx in mindshare that Radeon hasn't seen in a long time. :D

This is such a one sided post that literally ignores anything Nvidia have done when mentioning AMD features (Nvidia were first with many of these things)

5700XT's done absolutely nothing for mind share for AMD. The owners thread if you go by the numbers had/has (Don't know how it's stacked up after another week) less than the Vega 56, the Vega 64 and Vega VII in the same time frame. That is factual evidence that this hasn't been as well received as people like you would like to think.

The 5700XT is far from a bad product. I've repeatedly touted how good I think its performance is for the segment it's meant to be in, and it's the best price/performance product in a poor market place.

But, if it had a better cooler it would have been better received that's a fact.

Soldato
But, if it had a better cooler it would have been better received that's a fact.

The cooler itself is absolutely fine, it's jut the Radeon software that limits the fan to a max of 42% and runs at ~20% most of the time. Keeps it nice and quiet but also means it gets warm. Set up custom fan %ages based on temps and it cools very well, just becomes much louder obviously.

Associate
You're dead right the problem has been the media coverage combined with a ****** blower cooler, which everyone has made sure to bitch about in their reviews.

Honestly the blower isn't that bad from a cooler perspective. However I also think it was the wrong move for the card. Having a good simple dual fan solution would have been better and these blowers never did appeal to most users outside of business manufacturers.

The other wrong move was mistiming the release. Please AMD stop being **** and releasing the AIB cards months after the AMD version and killing the enthusiasm for your products. Nvidia does this far better than you and each time they kick you in the nuts as a result. Even with the own goals of RTX and RTX Super.

Caporegime
The cooler itself is absolutely fine, it's jut the Radeon software that limits the fan to a max of 42% and runs at ~20% most of the time. Keeps it nice and quiet but also means it gets warm. Set up custom fan %ages based on temps and it cools very well, just becomes much louder obviously.

The cooler's fine if you want to just run it out of the box and leave it. It's acceptable, that's it.
On the flip side if the software ramped it up to keep it cooler, it's now more audible. People are craving lower acoustics these days.

It either would have been received better with a better cooler, or it wouldn't. And given that there's a lot of talk about the blower in reviews then one would have to believe my hypothesis is correct.

Last edited:
Soldato

You know what's amazing though? That Radeon's lower end Part, using RDNA 1.0, can do 1440p and compete with Nvidia's Super Line up which was also just released. This bolds well for the 5800 series.

And I hope Radeon does offer blowers for them 5800 series as well.

Associate
You know what's amazing though? That Radeon's lower end Part, using RDNA 1.0, can do 1440p and compete with Nvidia's Super Line up which was also just released. This bolds well for the 5800 series.

Me too, if only for the water cooling crowd. I just hope they release the AIB cards at the same time and allow the 5xxx cards to flex their muscles properly. Oh and don't have duff drivers at release...

Caporegime

Why would you hope they offer blowers?
All we need is reference designs. They can have quality cooling and because their reference PCB's that follow a spec means they can have waterblocks made for them.

I only expect a 58XX series rather than both a 58XX and 59XX. 5700XT's a 225W part at the end of the day, it's in the upper end of mid range.

Soldato
Me too, if only for the water cooling crowd. I just hope they release the AIB cards at the same time and allow the 5xxx cards to flex their muscles properly. Oh and don't have duff drivers at release...

Yup, just like the good ole days. I think things will go a lot smoother when that happens though as this will be Radeon's 2nd SKU.

IMHO I think what's taking so long now is that AIB's who want to sell their "branded upper echelon" cards they don't install HSF's only (although they could) but the PCB as well.

Soldato
Gents lets not forget that AMD blower while inefficient doesn't cut from the sales of the AIB partners, and waiting a month isn't the end of the world.

Since last October there have been comments from Nvidia AIBs that were very unhappy from Nvidia selling dual fan cooler, in addition to the GPUs been pre-overclocked to max and charging really high prices for the chips.
It completely reduced to the ground the profit margins for the AIBs, and many cannot get ahead without seriously overpricing their products because they cannot make profits by using custom coolers better than the one FE is coming with. Custom made PCBs are almost restricted now to 1 top model, and not from all manufacturers, and some used Pascal coolers for cost cutting. The Aorus/Gigabyte is a good example here, using the same cooler from Pascal on Turing also. Others have even have worse coolers than the reference model, due to cost/profit. Look at some of the 2060S custom cards performing worse than the reference model.

Contrary to AMD side, they have plenty of room to move, flexibility to build their own boards and coolers and the chips are not voltage locked like both Pascal and Turing have been the last 3 years.
Ofc there are exceptions of half a.sed jobs like the Asus V64 Strix, having engineering defect for more than a year, until a new revision came out.

Back
Top Bottom