Windows 10 FAQ

Permabanned
Man of Honour
I disagree. Apple have a better patching schedule and update/upgrades than Microsoft at present. Microsoft are getting better I think personally speaking from experience.

I don't spend much time using Apple stuff but last time I had anything to do with it they still allowed the user to effectively control how updates were done? I think Windows 10 is the only one that approaches it this way and pretty much all other OSes do it different for very good reason.

Permabanned
I don't spend much time using Apple stuff but last time I had anything to do with it they still allowed the user to effectively control how updates were done? I think Windows 10 is the only one that approaches it this way and pretty much all other OSes do it different for very good reason.

Apple allow you to manually patch a system or automatically. You get to chose with one button, which works! :)

Soldato
I disagree. Apple have a better patching schedule and update/upgrades than Microsoft at present. Microsoft are getting better I think personally speaking from experience.

You want the best for updates and patching then go Linux, their patching is better then anybody else you can name , far above Apple :) .

C64

C64

Soldato
edit thought ds4 was causing file explorer to hang freeze but it wasnt just happened again
no idea whats causing this pulling my hair out, it will just freeze hang when im exploring files it seems to happen if you dwell too long

Last edited:
Soldato
Morning all

I need to wipe and install a clean copy of W10 Pro x64 via a bootable USB pen (I have the key on the base) but I can't seem to find a copy?

Links in the OP appears dead (Not surprised after all this time) are there any live links Microsoft or otherwise I can use

Thanks!

Permabanned
Thanks for the link, I found that last night and created a bootable USB completed the install and its showing as a Home version? Not Pro

I didn't see anywhere to select the version to install

Give this a go with the ei.cfg method in the iso

https://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-select-windows-10-pro-edition-during-clean-installation/

If you have a pro key then you could just upgrade the edition of windows once you installed windows 10 home. Works fine.

Actually, give me a sec I will download the PRO ISO and upload it somewhere within the next half hour if you can't do it.

Soldato
Soldato
A couple people saying the ei.cfg method no longer works with 10, haven't tried it myself as I haven't needed too. I'm downloading x32/x64 versions of Windows 10 on a PRO machine and will upload the iso in a sec.

It's 15% done already.
I've just tried it and it worked perfectly first time, loading Pro now ;)

Thanks for that, was frustrating me last night!

Soldato
I have just spent the last three days trying to install W10.
I have W7 - It started off with Firefox crashing then blue screen saying windows has shut down to stop your PC getting damaged. - Took graphics card out and resorted to built in one - still errors - changed memory - still no luck - Tried Marcrion restore to a backup from 5 months ago - didn't work - Put W7 disc in to try a repair - that didn't work so deleted all on HDD then reformatted it.
Put W7 disc in and it got as far as click install - then a box with a few options so clicked next -Message came up "load driver" - WHAT driver - tried a few more times then gave up.
I have W10 on memory stick I used to put W10 on backup PC. That did the same it want's a driver. - Done all sorts of thing and in end found W7 Ultimate on a disc in cd box - That loaded as it's 32bit - It runs out tomorrow as I don't have the key - I have W7 and 2x W10 keys.
Looking online this seems to be a well known problem with all sort of fixes - I can't fix it - I am now out of my depth.
My last hope is the CD I am burning from link above and chosen W7 again. I will be very surprised if this disc works as I still have the original and that didn't work - I have done this loads of times in last 20 yrs and never had a problem.
My board is a Gigabyte GA Z87 and i5 4670 and no updates (Flashing worries me)

If there is anyone in North Shropsire (Whitchurch) who is willing to help for a fee obviously I would be grateful.

I did call the local PC repair man but he won't work in your house and my PC weighes a ton..

Soldato
Forget any Win 7 DVD or disc.

Go to someone else's computer, go to the Microsoft Windows 10 download site.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

(All of the instructions are on this site)

Find the option - install Windows 10 on another PC via the iso on a USB stick (A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space) and create the installation media on the USB stick (which becomes "bootable").

Insert this in your PC and BOOT from it, You must also have connected the SSD or HD on which you want to install windows (preferably just formatted without windows on it) - you may need to press F8 or F12 to get the boot options menu (or something else - this is PC specific). If the installation drive has an old version of Windows - choose format at the install stage.

Boot from the USB stick and "install" Windows 10 as instructed. Put in the Key when requested (windows 7 or 10 key, either should work).

Windows 10 should install!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom