Green Party MP calls for all woman cabinet

Man of Honour
Green MP Caroline Lucas calls for an all female emergency cabinet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49314840

I don't want to discuss the Brexit angle of this story. Please keep Brexit discussions to the Speakers Corner thread as they will simply get moderated out of this one. But what is distasteful about this story is how anyone thinks it's acceptable in 2019 for them to call for a cabinet made up of just one gender, at the blatant discrimination of the other.

"And I believe this should be a cabinet of women.

"Why women? Because I believe women have shown they can bring a different perspective to crises, are able to reach out to those they disagree with and cooperate to find solutions."

By her implication she is suggesting that men are not as good as women at getting cooperation to find solutions. I can only imagine the uproar if this were switched around to say, for example, "Nigel Farage called for a cabinet of only men because they are more robust in times of disagreement".

Her call for a cabinet of only women is blatant discrimination and should be called out as such. I hope that her party don't agree with her position on this.

Man of Honour
At the very least I'd want to see her prove it was the case first.

Otherwise it is no less prejudice than the other way around.

Caporegime
Discrimination today is fine and seen as some kind of virtuous thing so long as you do it the opposite way to how it was done a few decades ago.

Caporegime
Best candidate for the job.

If you want different perspectives then you need people from different backgrounds from all classes and genders.

I want to agree with her but Kennedy did fine solving the Cuba Missle crisis and he is a man. So I don't think a 100% woman cabinet is the answer; just right people in the right job.

Soldato
I was really surprised to read this this morning.

If a man posted the same thing asking for all-man cabinet, there would be a massive uproar...

Caporegime
At the very least I'd want to see her prove it was the case first.

Otherwise it is no less prejudice than the other way around.

Agreed

If you are going to say something like that, you should use facts and statistics to prove your point.

Which may exist of course, I really don't know.

Soldato
But this has nothing to do with actually putting this into practice. It's just Caroline Lucas and the Green Party getting some free air time to appeal to their base who no doubt love this kind of nutkins.

Associate
Playing to her tiny fringe base and turning off the wider electorate who would have considered the Greens as an alternative to the current showers. Not exactly well thought out.

In all honesty I don't think this is a political tactic. I think a lot of feminist politicians honestly believe all the problems of the world would be solved if straight white men could be made to disappear.

Soldato
They've had my vote in the past. Well this will make me think a little harder now in future elections. I cannot support selections based on the uncontrollable factors of a persons makeup, race/sex/so/etc etc - it's incredibly dangerous when you think about where it could lead.

Back
Top Bottom