• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Associate
thought i would lob this grenade and see what develops. up until a few weeks ago all i read was stories over how RTX was useless on this gens GPUs and how DLSS was also useless.

then i read a few other counter posts (especially once metro exodus was updated) to say the experience has improved.

so i bit the bullet bought a 2080 amp extreme (so its on par with a 2080 super) and have been experimenting with metro exodus.

the experience RTX brings to the table is to be better than HDR. I am not convinced that RTX will be necessary for all games ie fast action shooters spring to mind but on a game like metro which is all atmosphere then the addition of RTX is great.

also to my tired eyes the image DLSS looks identical on my 4k TV when on or off.

obviously those wanting high frame rates and 4k are not going to be satisfied. But for me who's TV is caped at 60fps anyway playing metro at around 45 fps on a xbox controller is fine

its clear that DLSS will continue to improve as well - metro's implementation has got better since patched.

most of the negative metro posts pre-date the patch.

this website has a post patch update review and its all very rosy

https://hothardware.com/reviews/metro?page=3

Man of Honour
Full rtx doesn't, a light smattering of rtx and down sampling does work, meh.

The only time I have seen a decent amount of RTX working is in the Port Royal bench using overclocked RTX Titans in SLI to get good fps, sadly that is just a synthetic bench and not a game.

RTX is one and probably two generations too early.

Soldato
The only time I have seen a decent amount of RTX working is in the Port Royal bench using overclocked RTX Titans in SLI to get good fps, sadly that is just a synthetic bench and not a game.

RTX is one and probably two generations too early.
Yeah we can't really count benchmarks, we need full rtx in games, and it just isn't here yet

Caporegime
Im going to have to give up the tommy tanking, and get myself to specsavers too, as i too can't see a difference in Exodus, with the DLSS on, what with everyone saying, its a just a blury mess, thats what i was expecting, but i was surprised, yeah, maybe if i stop playing the game, and shove my face right up against the screen, and scan about, i might go, oh aye, it does look a bit blurier here/there with DLSS on, but i don't play my games like that :p

Associate
Once you're done with your post-purchase rationalisation, you might want to visit the local opticians for an eye test.
lol indeed.

Put simply RTX is crap in almost everything so far, and that everything is not much in the first place.
Nvidia brought this out too early and too under developed, another 12-18 months down the line with better support and more grunt...fine.. but all it seems to have done is give AMD a lifeline to get there house in order as the performance of Nvidias cards has not improved like we were used to.

Soldato
The issue for me that for a jump from rastorisation to ray tracing I want the ray tracing to look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMSuGoYcT3s

Not just rastorisation with lots of added on reflections and a drop in frame rate.

Ray tracing is the future. We are still on biplanes though rather than Concorde.

That demo runs at 50fps on a 2080ti, whats the problem
It's a realtime demo, no CGI

Man of Honour
As you say you can get better, 20/15 isn't uncommon and there are quite a few other factors other than Snellen chart performance that determine the quality of your eyesight ;)

With my prescription my eyesight is corrected to better than 20/20 with 6/5 (metric).

Associate
I had to strain and peek to notice a visual difference between DLSS on and off in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, there was a slight one so I didn't use it being a fiddly fidelity chaser.
Ray Tracing in it was very good and I notice in all games I've since played the apparent antiquity of the shading.
4k 32 inch monitor. Up to date prescription glasses.

It is quite reasonable to want to use a GPU for 3 or 4 years (or more). Having RTX now sets you up for all the games that will be coming to have it.
GPUs of the future will be better at it, but that's not helpful if you need one now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom