• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
same here - pc gaming on a 75 inch 4K TV is much more immersive than sitting in front of a monitor (thats another discussion thread right there). DLSS for my set up is brilliant. No change in image quality and a big improvement in FPS
So when you created this thread you thought that most people on the PC game on tv’s and assumed they were lying about DLSS being crap? :p

Soldato
same here - pc gaming on a 75 inch 4K TV is much more immersive than sitting in front of a monitor (thats another discussion thread right there). DLSS for my set up is brilliant. No change in image quality and a big improvement in FPS

But, you don't need DLSS if you are sitting that far away from the TV. Just use a lower resolution and you would get the same result.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
@melmac @TNA

Just out of idle curiosity, have either you used RT & DLSS @ 4K?

For me at least SOTTR and Metro Exodus look great with RT and DLSS on. Certainly better than using a lower resolution, I’ve tried it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@melmac @TNA

Just out of idle curiosity, have either you used RT & DLSS @ 4K?

For me at least SOTTR and Metro Exodus look great with RT and DLSS on. Certainly better than using a lower resolution, I’ve tried it.
Nope. But there are loads of screenshots and videos online showing what DLSS offers and it does not live up to what it was hyped up to be and the same can be achieved without any DLSS which makes it underwhelming. Might get better yet though with better AI training. Hopefully as I will be getting a 3000 series card and it will come handy as I do game at 4K when I game.

Soldato
Nope. But there are loads of screenshots and videos online showing what DLSS offers and it does not live up to what it was hyped up to be and the same can be achieved without any DLSS which makes it underwhelming. Might get better yet though with better AI training. Hopefully as I will be getting a 3000 series card and it will come handy as I do game at 4K when I game.

Most screenshots and comparisons are zoomed in as if you eyeballs and making direct contact with the computer screen.

Soldato
DLSS is kind of an excuse for Nvidia to make use of the investment they made in tensor cores.

RT performance is very underwhelming and requires a lot of heavy "optimisation" to get something playable. But in the end due to the "optimisation" the final product is often low quality, even when it ways "Ultra".

If you are buying Turing, don't go buying it for RT, it's not worth it. Next gent will give much better performance, First gen AMD RT should exceed that of a 2080Ti by a nice multiple from what i have heard on the grape vine.

Soldato
DLSS is kind of an excuse for Nvidia to make use of the investment they made in tensor cores.

RT performance is very underwhelming and requires a lot of heavy "optimisation" to get something playable. But in the end due to the "optimisation" the final product is often low quality, even when it ways "Ultra".

If you are buying Turing, don't go buying it for RT, it's not worth it. Next gent will give much better performance, First gen AMD RT should exceed that of a 2080Ti by a nice multiple from what i have heard on the grape vine.

Makes sense. AMD is using's its shader cores to do Ray Tracing, while Nvidia uses RT cores to do Ray Tracing. So while nvidia cards only have a few hundred cores for ray tracing, AMD will have thousands

Associate
OP

brilliant so you post about how terrible DLSS is yet you have not even tried it yourself. The reason i started the thread in the first place was due to posters like you who attack DLSS /RTX yet have not even tried it themselves. Hopefully this thread will be of use to those sitting on the fence about whether to get this generations RTX cards. I am very glad i took the leap as metro exodus in its current form is amazing with RTX and DLSS

Associate
brilliant so you post about how terrible DLSS is yet you have not even tried it yourself. The reason i started the thread in the first place was due to posters like you who attack DLSS /RTX yet have not even tried it themselves. Hopefully this thread will be of use to those sitting on the fence about whether to get this generations RTX cards. I am very glad i took the leap as metro exodus in its current form is amazing with RTX and DLSS
Amd path tracing is the way forward:p;)

Soldato

But dont you sit far enough away from your big screen that you cant see the difference DLSS is making ? I'm not saying that approach is wrong but I'm curious as to why you would start a thread to bemoan people who are slating DLSS when you sit too far away to see what it's doing yet you're trying convince everybody else that DLSS is great?

I dont know. The real problem with DLSS is that it's a massive programming workload for not much gain. Every game has to be coded for it, every game needs 'AI' learning which is why I think people keep mentioning Metro and not much else - because Metro is the one thats improved the most. That's great, I guess all we need to do is wait for every other game to catch up too?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
But dont you sit far enough away from your big screen that you cant see the difference DLSS is making ? I'm not saying that approach is wrong but I'm curious as to why you would start a thread to bemoan people who are slating DLSS when you sit too far away to see what it's doing yet you're trying convince everybody else that DLSS is great?

I dont know. The real problem with DLSS is that it's a massive programming workload for not much gain. Every game has to be coded for it, every game needs 'AI' learning which is why I think people keep mentioning Metro and not much else - because Metro is the one thats improved the most. That's great, I guess all we need to do is wait for every other game to catch up too?

I sit at round 7 foot from my TV so at 75 inches i notice a difference between full 4K and 1440p. I also notice a very small difference if using resolution scaling at 80%. (usually on text in games)

I notice no difference in metro with DLSS on or off. so for me DLSS is better than 80% scaling

Soldato
I have played Metro @ 4k on a 2080ti with RT and DLSS. With DLSS off it was slightly clearer to the eye but unplayable. With DLSS on I felt the image still looked good and RT looked good in this game. This was after the DLSS upgrade though so never got to play the blurry mess DLSS was at first. The problem with DLSS is it just doesn't work until way after launch and even in other games remains a mess. RT will come good eventually when we actually have the gpu power to get the job done without relying on DLSS and the like.

Back
Top Bottom