Mountain Biking

Soldato
Bit sad to see my old Rockhopper go, lots of memories, my most fond trying to keep up with full suspension people on inappropriate trails. And in with the new Fuse:

nXJyT9Og.jpg

wEcaTgv.jpg

Traction is incredible on the Fuse. It has boost spacing, 34mm stanchions and a through axle which do make a noticeable difference to the stiffness and confidence in the front end. Over all it definitely gives confidence to take on gnarly stuff over the Rockhopper.

Downside are it feels slower to accelerate, and I've not found the sweet spot to reduce the bounce from the rear end. I would also prefer a more progressive spring, I seem to be blowing through travel too easily and it's diving under braking more than the old bike. Not sure if the slacker head angle would be contributing to that?

Last edited:
Soldato
Downside are it feels slower to accelerate, and I've not found the sweet spot to reduce the bounce from the rear end. I would also prefer a more progressive spring, I seem to be blowing through travel too easily and it's diving under braking more than the old bike. Not sure if the slacker head angle would be contributing to that?

Probably the mass of the wheel with the large tyre on. I assume the wheel builds are alu and hub is steel?

I remember switching to titanium and hope Ti hubs, the mass difference made it accelerate far faster.

Soldato
Most likely you're old fork was better. What fork is it?

Can you add tokens like rockshox etc

Old one was a Rockshox Recon SL, sprung not air. It was quite progressive stock, I liked it. The new one is a Manitou Magnum Comp. I think you can put tokens in the Pro one but I'm not sure about the Comp. It's my first air fork so only just learning about tokens etc.

Associate
ALPE D’HUEZ MOUNTAIN BIKING – HAS THIS RESORT BEEN OVERLOOKED BY MANY?

Finding the ‘Spirit Of Alpe D’Huez’

Alpe D’Huez, what can I say? We fell in love with this place after just the first day. Sadly we were not able to make it last year due to an injury which saw my MCL ligament torn, We did however keep in touch with the tourist office and arranged to visit again when we next headed down that way. We had planned to visit this resort as we had been told there was some good riding to be had, and we were certainly not disappointed.

Our plans meant that we would be arriving during the Triathlon. However this caused us no issues, other than the fact there were many roadies on the famous 21 bends that head up into resort from the valley floor. You immediately get the feeling that this place is road bike heaven for a lot of people, but look past that and there’s more to Alp D’Huez than meets the eye. Compared to Les Gets for example that we rode earlier in the holiday, there seemed to be a quieter atmosphere out on the trails which we enjoyed and meant for some awesome rides...

READ MORE
HTML:
https://mtbvanlife.co.uk/alpe-dhuez-mountain-biking-has-this-resort-been-overlooked-by-many/

Caporegime
You need two bikes for when one is broken, in for a service or something else infuriating that means you can't ride. Also you halve the wear and tear.

I'm full of excuses for N+1.

It's a great spec that and I am a fan of Whyte but their bearings are **** and will probably fail quite quickly - so if you're hand with the tools you can sort it for not much effort.

Associate
Recently replaced my Canyon Strive with a Giant Trance 1.

I'm now looking to add another HT. My On-one Inbred has seen better days so going to use this mainly through winter.

Been looking at Whyte 905 v2 - https://whyte.bike/collections/trail-enduro-900-series/products/905v2
I've been looking at that Whyte since it came out a month or 2 back. I already have a YT Jeffsy and wouldn't mind a HT for bad weather/winter, backup, and an occasional change. The spec looks ace, but I'm torn about the 2.8" tyres... When I tried 2.6" tyres on my Jeffsy it started sliding around on mud more so (which is understandable, as you kinda want thinner tyres with mud), so 2.8" for a winter bike almost seems counter-intuative. Hell, I can feel the side-walls roll on the 2.4" tyres I use, so I'm a little concerned that 2.8" could be quite wobbly unless they're pumped to a high psi, which kinda defeats their purpose?

After seeing GMBN Blake do the Mega on the Nukeproof Scout Comp, I'm almost in a toss-up between that and the Whyte. But, I think it will Oct by the time the 2020 Nukeproof is available to see the spec-list on that. I used to have a T-130, so feel some loyalty to Whyte, but I kinda feel it's worth waiting to see what the new Scout Comp is offering before pulling the trigger...

I also saw Commencal have their new 27.5 HT available: https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta-ht-am-essential-c2x29150736
But 2.8" tyres and 160mm travel fork, seems crazy?!? I know that aggressive HT's are a thing, but 160 fork is going some, especially with the additional give of the 2.8/+ tyres.

Soldato
I've been looking at that Whyte since it came out a month or 2 back. I already have a YT Jeffsy and wouldn't mind a HT for bad weather/winter, backup, and an occasional change. The spec looks ace, but I'm torn about the 2.8" tyres... When I tried 2.6" tyres on my Jeffsy it started sliding around on mud more so (which is understandable, as you kinda want thinner tyres with mud), so 2.8" for a winter bike almost seems counter-intuative. Hell, I can feel the side-walls roll on the 2.4" tyres I use, so I'm a little concerned that 2.8" could be quite wobbly unless they're pumped to a high psi, which kinda defeats their purpose?

After seeing GMBN Blake do the Mega on the Nukeproof Scout Comp, I'm almost in a toss-up between that and the Whyte. But, I think it will Oct by the time the 2020 Nukeproof is available to see the spec-list on that. I used to have a T-130, so feel some loyalty to Whyte, but I kinda feel it's worth waiting to see what the new Scout Comp is offering before pulling the trigger...

I also saw Commencal have their new 27.5 HT available: https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta-ht-am-essential-c2x29150736
But 2.8" tyres and 160mm travel fork, seems crazy?!? I know that aggressive HT's are a thing, but 160 fork is going some, especially with the additional give of the 2.8/+ tyres.

The tyre size was a concern for me. My mate has the Nukeproof Scout and that has 2.6.

My current HT is 26x2.25 so the Whyte would give me something different.

You need two bikes for when one is broken, in for a service or something else infuriating that means you can't ride. Also you halve the wear and tear.

I'm full of excuses for N+1.

I meant i couldn't justify buying the next model up not another bike :D

Caporegime

Bird?

Soldato

I have a Production Privee Shan Kremer. It's an "agressive" hardtail with 160mm forks. 'Normal' size tyres with 2.35 width i think, maybe 2.4. I can only imagine that 160mm forks with 2.8" tyres is even better. My Shan handles amazingly.

Soldato
Caporegime
I have a 905 from 2018 and it's a great bike! Just watch the sizing, as the reach on them is pretty long, so I find if you were a large a medium might fit as well.

The reach is normal, shorter than some. Personally I wouldn't downsize. But worth trying. It's probably because of the seat angle, more than the reach

Soldato
I have a 2016 Shan, 2018 Bird AM Zero and now a 2019 Shan, all are aggressive HTs with 160mm travel. Both Shan's on 2.3 tyres and the bird on 2.4. you wouldn't get much bigger than a 2.4 into the Shan. The Bird will take larger. The Bird handles better.

Caporegime
I have a 2016 Shan, 2018 Bird AM Zero and now a 2019 Shan, all are aggressive HTs with 160mm travel. Both Shan's on 2.3 tyres and the bird on 2.4. you wouldn't get much bigger than a 2.4 into the Shan. The Bird will take larger. The Bird handles better.

Wow! Why?

Why so many? What's best? I assume the Shan?

Soldato
Wow! Why?

Why so many? What's best? I assume the Shan?

Good question. I'm a sucker for a unique paint job. The new Shan is great and been nicely brought up to date with bottle boss and stealth dropper routing. They are essentially the same. I have one Shan on diamond shocks and the bird and other, new Shan on MBR ribbon air. The ribbon airs are much better than the DVO diamond. In fact, the MBR are the best shocks I've ever used.

The Bird is an absolutely fantastic frame, but it tires quickly, and whilst more nimble than the Shan, it's not as good overall

Caporegime
Good question. I'm a sucker for a unique paint job. The new Shan is great and been nicely brought up to date with bottle boss and stealth dropper routing. They are essentially the same. I have one Shan on diamond shocks and the bird and other, new Shan on MBR ribbon air. The ribbon airs are much better than the DVO diamond. In fact, the MBR are the best shocks I've ever used.

The Bird is an absolutely fantastic frame, but it tires quickly, and whilst more nimble than the Shan, it's not as good overall

I'd love a set of MBRs, my pikes are awful.

Back
Top Bottom