Jizzy's Log

Associate
EDIT: Build finished see photos page 2.
7Zp7a13.jpg

Original Post:
To start with this first post will be boring, but I'm going to use it to track my work trying to make my pc stable.

I'll post full specs later, but I'm running a 9900k on a old H115i.
Current Setup:
- Original SP140's original fans set to max (2000rpm)
- CPU @ 4ghz constant
- Idle temp package 61-64c
- Water temp 46-47c
- Voltage set at 1.1v in bios
- Max voltage shown on HWiNFO 1.092
- Hyperthreading Disabled
My temps are irregular, i could restart and get idle of 50c, restart again and have 60 again.
Screenshot:
upFzU8k.png

- Load under Aida64 - for 26 seconds
8pjnZ0Y.png

Obviously something is not right. I have re-applied thermal paste 4 times with no real change in results. I know the 9900k run hot, but not this hot.
I am about to remove the cooler again, setup push pull with 4 brand new ML140's and a corsair commander pro for fan management.
I am also at the same time, going to put rubber washers on the H115i, if the ones I have purchased will fit correctly, as I have read the older versions sometimes have too long of a thread for certain motherboards.

I will post back after I've done this, also one last note, since typing this, letting the cpu cool it has now settled on idle @ 55c.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I didn't post again as it ended up being like 2am by the time I'd ran the Aida test and had to be up in 4 hours.

I fit the rubber washers I'd purchased, a bit of a gamble as I didn't know the size to get, but found a pack of multiple sizes on toolstation £2.29, so was worth the gamble. Used the smallest ones in the set. LINK

After squeezing in push pull with the ML140's it was a very tight fit in my TUF 501 GT Case, and really awkward to do. See the below photo (before ram was put back in, ignore the messy cabling, had to take off the shroud etc to get everything, will tidy up later)
LqD8k7t.jpg

Idle:
Current Setup:
- case open, no dust filters and both sides open
- 4 x push pull ML140 pro fans set to max (2000rpm)
- CPU @ 4ghz constant
- Idle temp package 39-41c
- Water temp 32-33c
- Voltage set at 1.1v in bios
- Max voltage shown on HWiNFO 1.092
- Hyperthreading Disabled
kIcCii4.jpg

Aida after 30 mins:
Package Max temp: 68c but would fluctuate between 63-65c
SLhR7T1.png

So for now it appears that I may of solved my problem. However in the past couple of weeks I've had it work ok for a day or two and then the temps increase, possibly air in my AIO, so at the minute the air might be in the radiator but over time may move to CPU block and I see increased temps again.
For now I have set the fans on "quiet" mode which left them running about 750rpm and is much quieter. Still idled around 40c.

I also installed the Corsair commander pro unit to manage fans lights etc, really only needed for the fans, not fussed about lighting too much. However so far I am not too impressed as the Corsair link software kept loosing it and showing it again, then would show fans running at 10,000 rpm then loose connection again, but this was when I had all the other monitoring software open and running the Aida test, so may of been a conflict.

Associate
OP
dark rock pro 4 and get ALL those cores running 4.9ghz !!!!
The plan will be to increase it further then 4ghz, but it wasn't even stable @ 3.6. Need to be stable and reliable before pushing it too much. As of last night's tests though its looking better at the moment.

Soldato
The plan will be to increase it further then 4ghz, but it wasn't even stable @ 3.6. Need to be stable and reliable before pushing it too much. As of last night's tests though its looking better at the moment.

bit odd as 9900k should be stable 4.6ghz all cores !

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9900k

and normally you need 360 aio for running 5ghz all cores with 9900k - min i recommend is alphacools eisbaer 360LT which is 100% copper

Associate
OP
bit odd as 9900k should be stable 4.6ghz all cores !

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9900k

and normally you need 360 aio for running 5ghz all cores with 9900k - min i recommend is alphacools eisbaer 360LT which is 100% copper

Its sort of why I started this log, as I was having issues and going to log it all down, but atm I'm using the 280mm H115i (old version) with push pull ML140 pro fans. Over the next couple of days I'm going to increase the Ghz once I know this is stable. I prefer bigger fans, so I've seen the 420 alphacool AIO, which after measuring when having everything out, might just fit with some minor modification to my case.

Associate
OP
On bootup on the system today, fans still on silent mode, the temp is 53-56c. Case still open on front, and both sides.

Also, changing them to max, for 10 mins and theres no difference.

Edit: also forgot to mention, water temp on H115i was around 49-50c, aida tests made max temps get up to 85.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update, I tidied up the wires a bit, put the dust filters, side panels etc. on and at the same time I tilted the entire case 45 degrees to raise the front and gave it a bit of a wobble. ( in my mind to move bubbles from the cpu block into the radiator )

Now on boot, temps are 37-40 on idle, 33-34 water temp. Running Aida atm, its around 60c after a couple of mins. Fans set on quiet mode and are running around 1250rpm under load.

Associate
OP
After 1 hour of running aida, max temp was 64c, max water temp 41.5. Fans still set on quiet mode, about 1250-1300rpm.

Associate
OP
Update for this evening. On booting up today I was getting 48-54c idle. Water temp around 41c.
Still very inconsistent results, but I suppose its hard to tell without an ambient temp, but will buy a thermometer tomorrow to give a better idea.
However I will say its not 10c hotter then yesterday.

Also after 30 mins of aida this evening, max temp got to 87c, but stayed around 80-82c for most of the test. Water temp 55c.
Even considering that it may be a slightly warmer day, its not 10-15c hotter then yesterday.

Associate
OP
Update, spent 3-4 hours playing cod ww2 last night and at roughly 40-50% load my temps stayed around 60c.

This morning on idle i'm getting 47-53c idle temps. Water temp 41-42c.

Soldato
It is a bit strange as 100% of 9900k’s will do 4.7-4.8Ghz all core at those kind of temperatures.

Think mine at 4ghz does it at about 40 degrees on prime 95 even with my old AIO at minimum fan+pump speeds. Considering my old AIO only had two fans.

I’d say there is something wrong with that cooler especially with that water temperature unless the fans are completely switched off.

Cool log though hope you get it sorted and running as it should be.

Associate
OP
It is a bit strange as 100% of 9900k’s will do 4.7-4.8Ghz all core at those kind of temperatures.
Think mine at 4ghz does it at about 40 degrees on prime 95 even with my old AIO at minimum fan+pump speeds. Considering my old AIO only had two fans.
I’d say there is something wrong with that cooler especially with that water temperature unless the fans are completely switched off.
Cool log though hope you get it sorted and running as it should be.

I was planning to post an update later, but yeah that was my thoughts, as the pump was on high, and the ML140 fans on push/pull set to high.
I'm planning to do a custom loop, but had other things come up which had to be taken care of first. Soon I'm going to dismantle the entire thing and see if I can make some adjustments to try and fit 2 x 420mm radiators in my case. Official specs says 360 or 280 on both top and front, but there is more space there, but might need some dremel adjustments.
I also have a digital thermometer now to log ambient temps as well.

Associate
OP
Update for the day now.
-------------------------------------------------------
Idle

Ambient temp: 23.7c

CPU:
CPU Temp: 51c
CPU Usage: >5%
CPU clock: 4ghz (with speedstep enabled)

H115i

Water temp: 42.6c
Pump mode: Performance
Fans: 4 x 140mm (ML140 push/pull)

CPU V Bios Set: 1.1
CPU VID (HWiNFO): 0.703v minimum
CPU VID (HWiNFO): 1.087v max
Hyperthreading: Disabled

Aida64 @ 5 mins

Ambient temp: 22.9c

CPU:
Max CPU Temp: 94c
CPU Usage: 100%

H115i

Water temp: 58c
Fans: 4 x 140mm (ML140 push/pull)

Associate
OP
Slight changes today, I've switched from Corsair link software to iCue.

Idle

Ambient temp: 28.1c

CPU:
CPU Temp: 52c
CPU Usage: >5%

H115i
Water temp: 45.5c
Fans: 4 x 140mm (ML140 push/pull) @ 1300rpm fixed

Aida64 @ 1 mins

Ambient temp: 28.3c

CPU:
Max CPU Temp: 94c
CPU Usage: 100%

H115i
Water temp: 53c
Fans: 4 x 140mm (ML140 push/pull) @ 1300rpm fixed

It was hotter today doing the testing, but I only let the test run for 1min before it was @ 94c.

As its the weekend now, going to strip down the system, take everything out the case make a block of wood to the size of a 420mm radiator (roughly 460-470mm) and see if I'll be able to fit it in. The plan is if I can modifiy them to fit, get 2 x 420's in 1 on top and 1 in front and do a custom loop.

My issue with doing a custom loop is that my graphics cards are hybrids with AIO coolers but there would be no where to mount if I put a radiator in front, so either I sell them and buy new cards and blocks (or prebuilt cards with blocks).
Or I dismantle the cards, and try and mount a GPU block (not whole coverage of card) where the current block is for the hybrid but loop it up in my custom loop.

Soldato
Even just a new AIO would solve all of your problems.

Does seem like a lot of messing around though to sell the cards. Buy new ones and blocks etc plus all the parts, just for a custom loop.

Don’t get me wrong custom loops are amazing, love mine. But with all the gear you have does seem a lot of hassle.

Associate
OP
An update from yesterday, so I took most of the components out of the case so I could see if a 420mm radiator would fit in, but unfortuantely they won't. Not top or front ... atleast not without major holes being cut into this case.

However I did notice whilst looking closely at my hardware that there was too much tension on my graphics cards being mounted at the front, the tubes were just not long enough, which was causing my graphics cards pcb to warp/twist slightly.
So I changed from having the 2 to 1 graphics card, and mounted the radiator on the rear fan mount and threw another fan on it for push/pull.

From this:
V4DtfPJ.jpg

To This:
mmRilYu.jpg

After putting it all back together, I had issues getting windows to recognise the one graphics card, but after fully removing old drivers and re-installing the latest ones it corrected that. Windows was putting "Error 43" saying there was issues with the device.

Also on first boot, I thought I had fixed my CPU heating issues, as at idle it was running around 30c (ambient 23c), ran Aida test for about 35 mins and the hottest it got up to was around 60c, mostly at around 55c on load.
iEMOld2.jpg
However as I restarted the PC a few times temps soon increased and now i'm idling at 55 again.

I also contacted corsair customer support today because I checked back and found that I purchased my H115i less then 5 years ago, which means it should be covered under corsair's warranty.
However my only worry is I don't have a replacement cooler to use if I send it back.

Associate
OP
So a large update. WARNING Lots of photos below.

I'm still in the process of dealing with Corsair and RMA'ing my H115i, I just need to send it to them ... however I have decided I am going to do a custom loop. I ordered all the parts I needed however some of the parts I didn't order from OCuk (Shame on me) so they haven't arrived yet. I've got most of the small bits, fittings, tubing, liquid etc. that I ordered from OCuk but the big stuff radiators, pump & res etc I ordered elsewhere.
I got 2 x used Heatkiller universal GPU blocks off MikeTimbers here on the forums to modify my 2 Seahawk hybrid 1080ti's and adapt the current cooling plate to work with the water block.
One GPU is still in use in the PC till I get all parts here, the other ... is below.

I didn't get a photo before starting so either look up at my earlier photos to see it in my case. Photos are a mix of phone camera & DSLR.

With shroud removed:
cCwlrXp.jpg

With the Corsair H55 block off:
NqLWYc2.jpg
JvfmQUV.jpg
1252dY3.jpg

Cooling plate off:
4QGEJNz.jpg
o5nzYkA.jpg
TLTmjbh.jpg

Now the mess begins, out comes the dremel:
JKbsf4H.jpg
PXFPHci.jpg

Test Fit 1:
9SO2cwL.jpg

More dremel:
NMMwsOQ.jpg
qKWI38T.jpg
i7s1tzI.jpg

Test fit2:
Ni3OjKK.jpg
lQX9Z3j.jpg

More dremel:
UuvwXzi.jpg
1hhJuY3.jpg
9NnJz7o.jpg
pCUZbe1.jpg

Now it could have been finished there ... but my delivery still has not come. You have to do something to pass the time...

k6M7Ygx.jpg
xUHTojV.jpg
9o74UAj.jpg
xMJDTKE.jpg
SMxnOEQ.jpg
LoZIr0Q.jpg
27cccc.jpg

28aaa.jpg

And then we get to the final thing, what you've been scrolling for ...

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Yes there are plenty of imperfections in the painting & dremel work, at the end of the day I'm no professional, and most of it won't be seen once put in my case anyway. If I was worried about that I could have photoshopped it perfect so you would have never known anyway.

I will also say the original had a light up MSI logo, which I have preserved and should still work through the gold paint on the top but won't know until I turn it on once I get my other parts and do the loop.

I also changed it from a Sea Hawk to a Sea Awk.

Back
Top Bottom