break fluid change how often?

Soldato
Hi

On my Ford focus I believe its recommended to have a break fluid change every 2 years, should I stick to that .

I wonder if its actually necessary to get it changed that often as some car manufactures suggest 3+ years I believe.

Does anyone go longer without changing it?

Soldato
It is meant to be every 2 years but I've left some of my cars for 3 years or so without any problems. I've got one of those electronic brake fluid tester pens that I check the fluid out with every so often to make sure it hasn't absorbed too much moisture so I just keep tabs on it with that when I know it's beyond the point it should be changed.

Soldato
OP
It is meant to be every 2 years but I've left some of my cars for 3 years or so without any problems. I've got one of those electronic brake fluid tester pens that I check the fluid out with every so often to make sure it hasn't absorbed too much moisture so I just keep tabs on it with that when I know it's beyond the point it should be changed.

I normally get it changed at a service, and a break fluid change is about £50 I think, which is why I wanted to leave it until next year when it has a minor service, my car has major this year, I know these things can be done myself, but I would rather get someone else to do it.

Caporegime
Hi

On my Ford focus I believe its recommended to have a break fluid change every 2 years, should I stick to that .

Yes.

I wonder if its actually necessary to get it changed that often as some car manufactures suggest 3+ years I believe.

Is it necessary? No , but it is recommended.

It's also recommended you don't drive with less than 2mm tread on tyres but I've seen people driving with bald tyres. So it's up to you. But usually recommendations are there for a reason.

Does anyone go longer without changing it?

I'm sure many do. I've just had mine changed after 3 years but I only do 1K miles per year in that car. So my thinking was I don't use it much so I can take the risk of not getting it done for an extra year, I also use racing brake fluid which is a much higher spec which costs a lot more too (8 times the price of normal fluid) so it can take an additional year in between I would think even if it's lost some of it's braking properties it should still be a lot better than the crap most people use.

Going forward though I'll probably get it done every 2 years as I start using the car more often.

Soldato
Mine was over 4 years old when I first got the car, lost three calipers due to them corroding from the inside out. This is due to the amount of water that the fluid has absorbed. They are recommended to be changed for a reason.

If you are moderately comfortable with DIY you can bleed fluid through in all of 30mins tops. Alternatively, you can get a tester as mentioned earlier and then you'll be able to know when it needs doing and you can pay the £50 or whatever people charge for it now.

Soldato
Mines 4 years old and I don't plan on doing it any time soon.
The focus was 12 years old before it had the fluid changed and it was still fine.

Soldato
Just buy a testing pen and check. They're not expensive at all, and will at least give you some idea of when it needs doing.

Man of Honour
I change mine every two years as per the recommended frequency. It takes no more than half an hour and all I need to pay for is the fluid at £15. It is recommended to change it due to moisture getting into the fluid over time which can then corrode components from the inside out.

Soldato
While I feel 2 years is ott, the coat will be massively offset should any of the nipples shear off. I wonder if changing every 2 years (and possibly replacing nipples) would stop it happening completely.

Associate
At £50 it's £25 a year over the recommended interval. Is it even worth going against the manufacturer's recommended interval? If it's due this year and you have a service this year, get it done then. If it's due next year and you will have a service then, get it done then. I'm not really sure why it matters on the minor Vs major service?

Soldato
OP
At £50 it's £25 a year over the recommended interval. Is it even worth going against the manufacturer's recommended interval? If it's due this year and you have a service this year, get it done then. If it's due next year and you will have a service then, get it done then. I'm not really sure why it matters on the minor Vs major service?

Thanks for all the responses, as for the major vs minor, I was just stating that due to the service price difference, wanted to save some money where I can, but I think I will just get it changed this year.

Caporegime
Wow at this thread, we are taking about brakes here. Why would you mess about? And yes ‘it’s been fine’ is because you haven’t got into a situation when the fluid would boil. This is pure luck rather than alpha male skills/***** cost saving.

:)

Associate
Just follow recommendations of manufacturer IMO, waiting a year probably won't have any ill effect but if it's going in for a service anyway just get it done then!

Soldato
OP
Wow at this thread, we are taking about brakes here. Why would you mess about? And yes ‘it’s been fine’ is because you haven’t got into a situation when the fluid would boil. This is pure luck rather than alpha male skills/***** cost saving.

:)

Not quite sure who's post you was referring to, I only asked the original question just because I heard that some other car manufacturers recommendation is 2-3years + , maybe its 2 years recommendation from all of them now though. For your peace of mind I got the break fluid changed exactly 2 years ago and have been since I owned the car. Just wanted to be sure my dealership aren't just trying it on when it might not be needed, as they ask me if I want it changed before they have even looked at the car and checked if does need changing.

Man of Honour
Surely if it's in the service schedule then the garage should do it automatically when it's required? Only asking because I haven't had my car serviced at a garage for years. It's so old it just doesn't make any sense to have things done at a garage plus I was a mechanical engineer in the RAF so I carry out all the servicing and maintenance myself in accordance with the service schedules.

IIRC VW group are 3 years, then every 2 years
Which seems to reinforce the fluid is good for longer than 2 years. There was a US report floating around some point ago that showed that actually modern brake fluid absorbs 1-2% water fairly quickly and then stabilises, so in theory it doesnt get any more water content as it gets older.
To me the far more likely effect is the clean fluid being far better for seals in the ABS and calipers themselves prolonging life of those very expensive (relative to the cost of some brake fluid) components.

Soldato
Do garages actually bleed it through when they replace or just top it up? Place near me their 'master service' is just a top up.

Associate
Do garages actually bleed it through when they replace or just top it up? Place near me their 'master service' is just a top up.

From my experience it's a full bleed... That master service doesn't sound very masterful if that's all they are doing! Do they only top up the engine/gearbox oil too in lieu of changing it? What about the headlamp fluid?

Back
Top Bottom