• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Associate
I recently got done with Shadow of the Tomb Raider which has RTX shadows and DLSS.

Ended up disabling both and using the built SMAAT4X.

The DLSS gave an overall blurry image at 3440x1440. This was easy to notice and in some places added crawling.

The visual RTX impact was minimal but had a performance hit regardless.

SMAAT4X was the opposite. It works everywhere and at all times. So the performance envelope I had was spent on that instead of RTX or DLSS. The IQ with SMAAT4X is amazingly clean and natural.

BF5 is another game where I don't turn on RTX. In MP which is the only mode I play, you get a notable performance penalty at all times for very little PQ gain.

I'm glad RTX is around and hope it gets better.

Soldato
If it's a static object then you might as well used static shadows. Dynamic lights/shadows can be still cast over the top. The end result looks the same but has a much lower cost. But having everything "ray-traced" is the current fad.

Soldato
The truth is, RTX and DLSS both suck in the current state and are no where near ready for the market.

Both are impractical, were dangled like a carrot on a stick and the fanboys took it in hook line and sinker.

IMO anyone who is arguing otherwise must have more money than sense and must be pretty desperate to justify the unjustifiable premium.

Susceptibility to marketing isn’t cool so let’s not pretend otherwise.

(Sorry to **** all over the parade but come on now people)

Last edited:
Soldato
The truth is, RTX and DLSS both suck in the current state and are no where near ready for the market.

Both are impractical, were dangled like a carrot on a stick and the fanboys took it in hook line and sinker.

IMO anyone who is arguing otherwise must have more money than sense and must be pretty desperate to justify the unjustifiable premium.

Have you tried RTX or DLSS?

Soldato

Have your tried rtx or dlss?

HRL

HRL

Soldato

Yep, RTX and DLSS are a bit underwhelming in general at the moment, though RTX does look great in the few titles that currently support it.

However, and it’s a BIG but, virtually no-one bought an RTX card for the RTX features. I bought a 2080Ti because it’s better than all of the other cards out there, RTX Titan aside, and needed something more powerful than a 1080Ti. I’d never have bought one if they performed the same as a 1080Ti, just with RTX included.

And I doubt I’m the only one TBH.

The only thing that I can understand people bitching about is the prices, which are admittedly nuts.

Associate
OP
Dude, that’s sunshine’s line!

Lol :p
Have you tried rtx or dlss

As someone else posted I did not get a 2080 for rtx. I also waited until the price came down to a reasonable £630 level. I don't find it overpriced. I think I paid £500 for my last card a 1080gtx. I managed to get a good price for the 1080 so the price to ugrade was neither here nor there. I look at rtx as a nice bonus as well as the 2 free games. To me control is a game changer with rtx and I am pleased to be able to sample it today rather than having to wait another 9 months etc. I would however not pay £1200 for a decent 2080ti. That's taking the Michael

Soldato
Yep, RTX and DLSS are a bit underwhelming in general at the moment, though RTX does look great in the few titles that currently support it.

However, and it’s a BIG but, virtually no-one bought an RTX card for the RTX features. I bought a 2080Ti because it’s better than all of the other cards out there, RTX Titan aside, and needed something more powerful than a 1080Ti. I’d never have bought one if they performed the same as a 1080Ti, just with RTX included.

And I doubt I’m the only one TBH.

The only thing that I can understand people bitching about is the prices, which are admittedly nuts.
Have you tried rtx or dlss

As someone else posted I did not get a 2080 for rtx. I also waited until the price came down to a reasonable £630 level. I don't find it overpriced. I think I paid £500 for my last card a 1080gtx. I managed to get a good price for the 1080 so the price to ugrade was neither here nor there. I look at rtx as a nice bonus as well as the 2 free games. To me control is a game changer with rtx and I am pleased to be able to sample it today rather than having to wait another 9 months etc. I would however not pay £1200 for a decent 2080ti. That's taking the Michael
I bought a fury X , then a Vega 56 and 64 crossfired them, then bought a Radeon 7 with the money from the Vegas sold. Then sold the Radeon 7 for a 2080 then sold that and bought a 2080ti second hand.
I would never have bought a 2080ti new, let alone for rtx. The ti cost 100 more than the 2080 or the Radeon 7 cost brand new, only got it for the raw performance and having a chance to see rtx was a tech fetish bonus.
But.... Rtx is awesome now I've seen it in tech demos and a few games, it works great the hit on performance is worth it if you want to see games in a new light (pun intended) control is breathtaking.
You're breathtaking

Soldato
According to Nvidia, the meaning of life is to make the GPU market as boring, drawn out and predictable as possible..

RTX and DLSS will have a point in the future but for now it’s an impractical novelty.

A poor implementation to drag the rear end out of things until Intel and AMD play their hand.

Forgive me for not getting excited about it lol.

Soldato
According to Nvidia, the meaning of life is to make the GPU market as boring, drawn out and predictable as possible..

RTX and DLSS will have a point in the future but for now it’s an impractical novelty.

A poor implementation to drag the rear end out of things until Intel and AMD play their hand.

Forgive me for not getting excited about it lol.

I take it you've never tried RTX or DLSS then judging by your uninformed comments.

Caporegime
I bought my 2080Ti for Raytracing and glad I did. Control is amazing and runs surprisingly well. DLSS helps massively also and not had anything noticeable to make me turn it off. I see a lot of posts bigging up RT in Control and I understand why but then I see a lot of posts from others dissing it, which leads me to question, "do they have an RTX card?"

Back
Top Bottom