Cooling advice heatsync

Associate
Hi all,

I am not a hardware expert so thought i would drop a thread on this forum looking for some advice.

The liquid cooling system on my PC has died today and i will be looking at replacing it.

I want to replace it with a heatsync and fan(s) if possible, please can someone advise an appropriate replacement?

My setup is below:
  • Mother board is an Asus X99 USB 3.1 Pro
  • Processor: I7 5820k 6 Core LGA 2011
  • Liquid cooling system i am looking to replace is a XSPC open loop system which is now easily over 4 years old (which is why i think it has died)
  • 64GB DDR4 RAM
  • Geforce GTX 980 Ti 6GB graphics card
  • Couple of drives.
  • Plenty of fans in the case 6 in total
Photos are here, hopefully you can see them:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TWNKQzdyUWFEOGxiUkpPTWxDalpXWkZfb2Uwb3lB

Uses:
I mainly use it for running multiple virtual machines doing moderate to high intensive tasks so do need decent cooling.

Luckily my processor is not fried and boots up to windows but then i have to shut it down as core temp shows 60's and 70's for the temps.

Since the cooling system has died the PC has only been booted up twice and has been on for no more than a minute at a time.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For anyone who may view this in the future i ended up going with the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 135 mm Silent Wings Fan CPU Cooler. Pretty easy to install it comes with all kit, screwdriver, thermal paste etc

Temps on idle when not doing much are mid 20's to 30 (i do have a couple of other fans)

Here is an image of it installed and working away:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/M89qGymBsJNjDNTY9

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I am not a hardware expert so thought i would drop a thread on this forum looking for some advice.

The liquid cooling system on my PC has died today and i will be looking at replacing it.

I want to replace it with a heatsync and fan(s) if possible, please can someone advise an appropriate replacement?

My setup is below:
  • Mother board is an Asus X99 USB 3.1 Pro
  • Processor: I7 5820k 6 Core LGA 2011
  • Liquid cooling system i am looking to replace is a XSPC open loop system which is now easily over 4 years old (which is why i think it has died)
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Geforce GTX 980 Ti graphics card
  • Couple of drives.
  • Plenty of fans in the case 6 in total
Photos are here, hopefully you can see them:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TWNKQzdyUWFEOGxiUkpPTWxDalpXWkZfb2Uwb3lB

Uses:
I mainly use it for running multiple virtual machines doing moderate to high intensive tasks so do need decent cooling.

Luckily my processor is not fried and boots up to windows but then i have to shut it down as core temp shows 60's and 70's for the temps.

Since the cooling system has died the PC has only been booted up twice and has been on for no more than a minute at a time.

Thanks
Asus X99 Pro/USB3.1 has about 78mm center CPU to near side of PCIe socket and 55mm center CPU to near side RAM socket.

Would help to know exactly what RAM you have and what case it is all in. Then we can tell you what will fit.

Associate
OP
Asus X99 Pro/USB3.1 has about 78mm center CPU to near side of PCIe socket and 55mm center CPU to near side RAM socket.

Would help to know exactly what RAM you have and what case it is all in. Then we can tell you what will fit.

Apologies for the late response, i will tell you exactly what RAM i went with and what fits as i know one day someone else searching google will want the answer.

I went with the following:
Cooler: Be quiet Dark Rock 4 (not the pro version)
RAM: 2 x Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 RAM Kit 2400MHzBLS8G4D240FSE

So you can fill all 8 DIM slots with 4GB RAM sticks and it fits pretty well, and the Dark Rock heat sync isn't as big as some of the pictures online make it look.

Here is a picture of it all in, however i had to re-seat it the opposite way after this picture so if you are using my post to weigh up your installation make sure you fit the heat sync so the fan cable can reach the PSU fan input on the motherboard so the correct way would be with the "be quiet" writing UPSIDE DOWN

The Fan for the heatsync will only clip to ONE SIDE and this is the side of the heat sync with the rubber feet on.

Also the length of the cable is only short so make sure you look at my picture below and mount if the correct way around as the 1st time i mounted it the wrong way and the cable wont reach.

Picture mounted incorrectly:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Ni01TGZXZ29wSXI2ZmRWbzBVRnpkaXZtdEFGbDVn

Here is a picture of it mounted correctly, the fan sits over the top of RAM so their is room:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=V3pYLWtuZTZOX3c5bTJiZlhLNV95WWd3d0Y0S1ZR

Key Points for this board:
  • Bare in mind if you decide to go with 64GB of RAM for this board you need to populate all grey DIM slots first before you can populate the black DIM slots
  • If you lose some of your RAM slots you may need to re-seat the heat sync, this happened to me

Temps are good the heat sync is very quiet, i would highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom