TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
It’s quite fun watching some of the more savvy people on YouTube basically tell the tv licensing goafers to go and do one. It’s quite amazing the sense of entitlement that they have, I even watched one get told where to go only for them to return a little while later with a Policy enforcer or Police officer as they are known to the masses, only then for the chap to basically tell the policy enforcer where to go too, he even managed to get the policy enforcer to admit on tape that they don’t really understand the law they just enforce it.

It was highly amusing watching them try all sorts of tactics which ultimately failed and left them looking rather stupid.

Link? :)

Soldato
Live TV is anything that is broadcast live. Apply a little bit of common sense here. This includes streaming that is live content. I wish they would just display a banner when this is the case on ALL sites where live streaming is required just like what is on the BBC iPlayer site now that you need to log in and declare you have a TV licence.

This isn't true.

Twitch, youtube etc are considered online broadcasts, not live tv. The only exception to this is BBC online broadcast.

lol.

Soldato
It’s quite fun watching some of the more savvy people on YouTube basically tell the tv licensing goafers to go and do one. It’s quite amazing the sense of entitlement that they have, I even watched one get told where to go only for them to return a little while later with a Policy enforcer or Police officer as they are known to the masses, only then for the chap to basically tell the policy enforcer where to go too, he even managed to get the policy enforcer to admit on tape that they don’t really understand the law they just enforce it.

It was highly amusing watching them try all sorts of tactics which ultimately failed and left them looking rather stupid.

The police can't force their way in unless they have a warrant and I doubt they are going to kick doors in over a TV licence. It would be a bit embarrassing if they didn't find anything.

Soldato
Question I don't pay my TV Licence but every month I get threatening letters to pay.

So I don't really watch TV, we have an ariel outside but it's councils property and it's wired to downstairs flat too I think. I also have two TVs but I never watch any live TV, even on demand I don't use, the ariel isn't connected. I don't want to pay for something I never use.

I've never had a visit from them yet.

Soldato
Question I don't pay my TV Licence but every month I get threatening letters to pay.

So I don't really watch TV, we have an ariel outside but it's councils property and it's wired to downstairs flat too I think. I also have two TVs but I never watch any live TV, even on demand I don't use, the ariel isn't connected. I don't want to pay for something I never use.

You aren't legally required to pay for a license.

Man of Honour
What if it's a recording from another time that you've chosen to play at exactly the same time it's being broadcast? You didn't think of that did you?
Eh? Broadcast starts 7:00, finishes 8:00.

Watch programme during this window, you are considered to be watching live.

How can it be recorded from another time whilst also being played at exactly that time whilst simultaneously not being live?

Soldato
What if it's a recording from another time that you've chosen to play at exactly the same time it's being broadcast? You didn't think of that did you?
Unless you have access to a time machine wouldn't that be impossible and even with the time machine still illegal if you didn't have a TV licence.

Associate
So even though I did the notv thing the start of this year, I've had someone visit and try to visit and no ice recieved a letter saying it I don't let them know by September that were still here they will assume we have moved?

Why the **** would you assume we've moved in 9 months, what a waste of tax payer money.

Associate

Disconnect the aerial and reset the TV.

Capodecina
Soldato

So I don't really watch TV . . . I don't want to pay for something I never use. . . .
Have you replied to any of these letters? Frankly, if you don't you can't sensibly expect them to stop.

Incidentally there is something of a contradiction in the latter part of your post. either you DO or you DON'T watch live or record on your two TVs.

Soldato

How can it be recorded from another time whilst also being played at exactly that time whilst simultaneously not being live?
Because re-runs exist.

Unless you have access to a time machine wouldn't that be impossible and even with the time machine still illegal if you didn't have a TV licence.

Re-runs. I was also joking though, but the TV licensing only deal with breaches of the law with regards to the TV license. They'd have zero remit enforcing something else just because it might be illegal.

Soldato
Have you replied to any of these letters? Frankly, if you don't you can't sensibly expect them to stop.

Incidentally there is something of a contradiction in the latter part of your post. either you DO or you DON'T watch live or record on your two TVs.
They spam me with letters occasionally as well. I also don't watch live TV, but I can't be bothered to contact them about it because it can get worse than them spamming you with letters.

Receiving a comical letter about how I'm under investigation for the 10th time really isn't much of a hassle to me to be honest, because that's as far as they'll ever go it seems. They don't even knock, they just put letters through and go. If I tell them and then they start wanting to visit and come in, well I'm not really gonna go along with that.

Soldato

There's plenty of times when a programme is aired again.

So if programme A runs from 07:00 to 08:00 on Monday and runs again same slot on a Thursday. You obtain a recording of programme A and watch this on Thursday at 07:00.

It's just pointing out corner cases.

Associate
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, have a read of TVLR Forums - they have all the information that you need to know.

https://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php

Basically don't bother responding to them after you have initially told them you don't need a licence, it makes no difference, you still get spammed mail accusing you of being a thief, it just lets them know it's an "active" address.

If they turn up at your door, say nothing, sign nothing and just close the door in their face, like you would for any other door-to-door sales person - which is all they are, sales people.

Back
Top Bottom