Windows 10

Soldato
I updated 2 other laptops fine but it isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened post an update (on different systems).

My Driver Booster 6.6 software told me two updates available driver wise, one was Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and Network driver, so I'm installing those first before the Windows update.
WU installed fine on my laptop :) .

Last edited:
Soldato
I just updated to Win10 1903 the other day on 2 machines. Both coming from 1803.

On the main PC I had to use the windows update assistant as WU kept stopping at 93% install.

On the laptop it updated through WU. No problems on both.

I don't understand why we have to keep having these 'feature updates'. I'm not using any new features, and I suspect the vast majority of the public are like that. But having these updates and risking a bug to happen that in some situations can only be 'fixed' by a fresh install of windows is what made me nervous to update. If I was a business person and relied on Windows 10 and kept hearing the update horror stories I'd be even more worried.

They need to start splitting the features and security parts in to different updates, making features optional.

Associate
I can't believe that the news about people being screwed over by the latest Microsoft updates hasn't got more attention. For the past couple of weeks my machine has been acting like there is a poltergeist waiting for me to go and make a cup of tea so it can reset, or wait for me to start watching a movie or something and then reset, or have a conversation with my friend and suddenly reset........i replaced literally every part of the PC over the course of the last 2 weeks and only just today i find out about all this crap about the Intel security issues/windows update issues which seem to be connected. I now have a spare motherboard, went up from 16GB of RAM to 32GB of RAM and have a spare PSU aswell now. And because it took so long to figure all this out i doubt i have the right to get refunded anymore. I had recently been thinking about being a good and proper citizen and actually PURCHASE a legit copy of Windows for once but this has just made me despise and loathe them. My specs are GA-Z97X-SLI rev 1.2 motherboard, i7 4790K CPU and GTX 1080 FE so if anyone else with the same config has the same crap going on then you know who's to blame.

Man of Honour
They need to start splitting the features and security parts in to different updates, making features optional.

Definitely - though it should use the same (unified) backend and delivery system for updates but security updates should be integrated with Windows Defender IMO (obviously going to need some features to allow for 3rd party AV, etc. as an alternative to that side of Defender). Most people wouldn't even mind if security updates were much faster and more streamlined in operation if they were applied at bootup automatically if it just meant the occasional moderately longer boot.

Soldato
I can't believe that the news about people being screwed over by the latest Microsoft updates hasn't got more attention. For the past couple of weeks my machine has been acting like there is a poltergeist waiting for me to go and make a cup of tea so it can reset, or wait for me to start watching a movie or something and then reset, or have a conversation with my friend and suddenly reset........i replaced literally every part of the PC over the course of the last 2 weeks and only just today i find out about all this crap about the Intel security issues/windows update issues which seem to be connected. I now have a spare motherboard, went up from 16GB of RAM to 32GB of RAM and have a spare PSU aswell now. And because it took so long to figure all this out i doubt i have the right to get refunded anymore. I had recently been thinking about being a good and proper citizen and actually PURCHASE a legit copy of Windows for once but this has just made me despise and loathe them. My specs are GA-Z97X-SLI rev 1.2 motherboard, i7 4790K CPU and GTX 1080 FE so if anyone else with the same config has the same crap going on then you know who's to blame.
Sadly people don't always keep things up to date as often as they should do, then Microsoft changes something in Windows that requires the most current drivers, software or firmware/BIOS to be installed so it works as intended. I don't agree with Microsoft's method of forcing people to their ways and methods - just search online for Creative driver issues with Windows 10 1903 and you will see what I mean. But that's just a small selection.

I always make a point of keeping my system as up to date as possible. BIOS, software, drivers can all be checked for updates quickly.

Obviously check the motherboard manufacturer's page for BIOS updates.

Software can be checked by using the likes of SUMo or Patch My PC.

Drivers I use nothing else except Snappy Driver Installer Origin.

You can probably see that I usually stick to portable software to check for my updates. That's because I keep them on a USB stick for other machines. It shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes to check the above, perhaps a little longer to apply BIOS updates and reset the BIOS to defaults.

Associate
Sadly people don't always keep things up to date as often as they should do, then Microsoft changes something in Windows that requires the most current drivers, software or firmware/BIOS to be installed so it works as intended. I don't agree with Microsoft's method of forcing people to their ways and methods - just search online for Creative driver issues with Windows 10 1903 and you will see what I mean. But that's just a small selection.

I always make a point of keeping my system as up to date as possible. BIOS, software, drivers can all be checked for updates quickly.

Obviously check the motherboard manufacturer's page for BIOS updates.

Software can be checked by using the likes of SUMo or Patch My PC.

Drivers I use nothing else except Snappy Driver Installer Origin.

You can probably see that I usually stick to portable software to check for my updates. That's because I keep them on a USB stick for other machines. It shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes to check the above, perhaps a little longer to apply BIOS updates and reset the BIOS to defaults.

Thanks for the reply, I do try to keep everything up to date. The motherboard drivers,graphics drivers etc, the BIOS and windows itself. I tried every single BIOS for that board too, all of them make no difference to the situation. I know they do have a non-public BIOS (F10c) that has microcode updates that patch the vulnerabilities to do with this new threat that was discovered inside the CPU, why they haven't got it up on their website is a mystery to me and because it's the weekend i have had no reply back from Gigabyte tech support either. The latest official Beta BIOS for those boards is F10b and it doesn't improve anything. Hopefully F10c will fix it or Microsoft. I'll give that driver program a try i'm curious to see what it says, thanks!

EDIT: Just tried that program, wow! No spyware crap, nothing scaring me into giving them money or anything like that it just works and found about 16 drivers it says are out of date!?!!??! Why doesn't windows update keep ontop of that stuff? This is going into my collection , thanks again!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the reply, I do try to keep everything up to date. The motherboard drivers,graphics drivers etc, the BIOS and windows itself. I tried every single BIOS for that board too, all of them make no difference to the situation. I know they do have a non-public BIOS (F10c) that has microcode updates that patch the vulnerabilities to do with this new threat that was discovered inside the CPU, why they haven't got it up on their website is a mystery to me and because it's the weekend i have had no reply back from Gigabyte tech support either. The latest official Beta BIOS for those boards is F10b and it doesn't improve anything. Hopefully F10c will fix it or Microsoft. I'll give that driver program a try i'm curious to see what it says, thanks!
No problem. The only time Snappy Driver Installer Origin has given me any bother is with touchpad updates on laptops, but a quick driver rollback fixes that. Other than that I have good faith in it.

Caporegime
Update out to fix the Patch Tuesday issues (Black Screen etc...), as well as an update for the .NET Framework v3.5, and v4.8.

Finally Fixed! Windows 10 1903’s Windows Sandbox, Black Screen, and Several Other Known Issues

Microsoft delivered a cumulative update to Windows 10 May 2019 Update earlier today. The update brings a long list of general fixes and quality improvements to the latest version of the operating system. It also finally resolves the Windows Sandbox issue that was first spotted in May right after the release of version 1903.

The Windows Sandbox would fail to start with an error code “0x80070002” or ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND on devices in which the operating system language is changed during the update process when installing Windows 10 May 2019 Update, version 1903.

Related Back to School Flash Deal: Permanent Authorized Windows 10 And Microsoft Office Keys

Microsoft has today addressed this problem with the release of KB4512941.

Not the only problem to be fixed with today’s Windows 10 1903 non-security update
Along with the Windows Sandbox issue, Microsoft has also fixed five other known issues that affected Windows 10 version 1903. These include:

• Apps using Visual Basic 6 (VB6), VBA, and VBScript may stop responding with error
  • Issues updating when certain versions of Intel storage drivers are installed
  • Initiating a Remote Desktop connection may result in a black screen
  • Devices starting using PXE from a WDS or SCCM servers may fail to start (0xc0000001)
  • Domain connected devices that use MIT Kerberos realms will not start up
Windows 10 May 2019 Update has stayed away from any major, devastating bugs. However, a few small issues continued to pop up that affected a small subset of Windows 10 users. With today’s release of KB4512941 (Build 18362.329), there are now only two known issues left in this version of the operating system, one of which is specific to Surface Book 2. These include:

• Updates may fail to install and you may receive Error 0x80073701: Installation of updates may fail and you may receive an error, “Updates Failed, There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later” and “Error 0x80073701.”
  • The dGPU may occasionally disappear from device manager on Surface Book 2 with dGPU: Some apps or games that needs to perform graphics intensive operations may close or fail to open on Surface Book 2 devices with NvidiadGPU.
While fixes have only arrived today, Windows 10 version 1903 experienced a massive growth last month, tripling its Windows 10 market share. With today’s release and the resolution of several known issues, many more users will be open to finally hit that update button.

Microsoft is on its way to test the upcoming Windows 10 version 1909 along with the 2020 edition of the operating system. It’s interesting to see the company working on three different versions at the same time, testing something completely new, something with a few simple quality improvements, and then working to address the issues in the already released version. The Windows maker has also decided to release the upcoming Windows 10 October 2019 Update as a cumulative update, focusing more on performance and quality of the OS than any new features.

https://wccftech.com/fixed-windows-10-1903s-windows-sandbox-black-screen-issues/

The patch Tuesday issues fixer, is an Optional for me, so i havn't installed it, as im not suffering any issues from the Patch Tuesdays update.

Soldato
Reading these comments I'm glad my parents computers have both failed to install the latest feature update. Annoyingly though one is now stuck in an update loop where it downloads, installs, reboots, reverts back due to failed update and starts the whole process again. Windows update troubleshooter finds nothing wrong and being an old laptop driver updates stopped a while ago.

I just wish they'd give users control over updates, these old machines don't need new features just basic security updates.

Man of Honour
I just wish they'd give users control over updates, these old machines don't need new features just basic security updates.

Problem is that runs contrary to their Windows as a service model :( ultimately though the purpose of an OS is to enable the end user so if it gets in the way it automatically fails at its one purpose in life.

Soldato

V F

V F

Soldato
Its Patch Tuesday again guys :(

With all the past and recent complaints of 1903 I've decided to postpone feature updates for a year while keeping security updates to 20 - 25 days. I'm sick of beta testing Microsoft's crap.

I'll stick to 1809 until they get their crap together.

Back
Top Bottom