Push or pull through radiator ?

Associate
Getting ready to build my ITX machine this weekend (motherboard arrives later today), I want to put my Corsair H100X into use. Instead of using the stock fans I am using the Corsair ML120 Premium fans. However I am unsure whether to mount the fans in a push or a pull configuration ? The radiator will be top mounted, and the fans on the radiator will be the only ones in the PC except for the fans on the graphics card (open shroud with dual fans). I want the best airflow environment/best thermal dissipation that is possible in this ITX case (Sharkoon QB One) when using this AIO solution.

ds_qb_one_en.jpg.c10c98e77762bab30ce1e7176f44324a.jpg

QB_ONE_09.jpg.16bc1cd9cdef3a5208b032599857a659.jpg

Man of Honour
Push or pull makes very little difference to a radiator's performance. However, if you are talking about having it set up as a intake or exhaust I would set it up to exhaust out of the case and the pictures seem to show exactly that. ITX cases tend to be thermally challenged so the last thing you want is for the radiator to dump it's heat inside the case.

Associate
2c for intake fans

I think I saw it in buildzoid video building a pc with fans on intake push through radiator effectively exhausting hot air into the case.
Justification made sense, you want to cool the water in the radiator the most effectively (by cold outside air), so that CPU temp is lower. All other components only care to have some air moving around, not that it is 10C lower.
The hot air from gpu will still get exhausted by positive pressure.

If these are the only fans it also makes sense to put them behind a dust filter on intake.
The alternative exhaust configuration would mean dust will get in through all other holes and you can't filter all of them.

Edit: confused push and pull with intake and exhaust.
fans should be blowing into the radiator, not sucking from radiator. So always push.

Last edited:
Associate
Push or pull makes very little difference to a radiator's performance. However, if you are talking about having it set up as a intake or exhaust I would set it up to exhaust out of the case and the pictures seem to show exactly that. ITX cases tend to be thermally challenged so the last thing you want is for the radiator to dump it's heat inside the case.
This. Forcing warm/hot air out would naturally suck cold air in. I would go with exhaust.

Associate
OP
I ended up trying 3 sets of fans all pushing the air through the radiator and out up the top. I had originally installed the Corsair ML120 Premium fans, but they were just way too noisy at 1500rpm (they are rated at 2400rpm). At full rpm they sound like a couple of Pratt & Whitney F100 turbofan engines. The performance at 1500rpm was also quite lackluster on my Corsair H100X where the temperatures at max load (running AIDA 64 / OCCT) on the Ryzen 9 3900X would hit around 92~95°c, at a bearable noiselevel.
I then ordered a set of 2 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax Black fans and 2 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans. The latter weren't in stock at the time of ordering so I recieved the NF-F12 first. And they were soooo much quieter running at their max 1300rpm than the Corsair ML120 at the same rpm, and the temperatures were also much better now stabilizing at 84°c at max load (AIDA 64 / OCCT).
However today I got the NF-A12x25 PWM fans, and I thought what the heck I'll give them a try. And I must say these are absolutely beasts running at 2000rpm they are ever so slightly louder than the NF-F12's at 1300rpm. The load temperatures now stabilizes at a constant 79°c during AIDA 64 / OCCT stresstesting. So while the colours don't match particularly well with the brown/beige of these fans instead of the Black Chromax fans, I dediced to keep them in the ITX build because they cool so well with a minimal noise increase during absolute load which the PC never will reach during normal usage.
View attachment Cszy8vT.jpg
View attachment QtNgjyu.jpg
View attachment UQ3e9P8.jpg

Associate
Push-Pull did not change my maximum temps by anything over just three fans pushing. Wow that is one small case.

Last edited:
Associate
Push-Pull did not change my maximum temps by anything over just three fans pushing. Wow that is one small case.
Usually don't, unless there isn't enough radiator surface. Allows for lower rpm to achieve same results. But never needed to run any half decent fan full speed to keep the coolant at optimum temperature.

Soldato
Pull as exhaust with anti- draft foam material sandwiched between spacers acting as a plenum.

Gentle typhoon fans , the masters of static pressure.
They will last forever:)

Back
Top Bottom