Beef Use By Date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
My parents have abused me my entire life and they still do. I wasn't allowed to cook most of my life and I defo wasn't allowed to cook meat until only recently. They also move everything I setup in the kitchen which means forgetting I had ingredients and then they go bad and spending hours finding something because my stepmother doesn't talk to me and my dad isn't in the house and I am usually too scared to ask him as he has SERIOUS anger issues and asking him anything makes him get angry, and we have multiple properties right next to each other and stuff gets taken between them and sometimes they just throw my stuff away.

My dad often damages food cookware I buy because he's a very aggressive dumb idiot and does things like use my new blade to cut a watermelon over the edge of the kitchen sink which means the blade slams down onto the edge of the metal sink as he very aggressively attempts to cut the watermelon, leaving the kitchen sink with an unsightly mark and the blade damaged.

He also has terrible hygiene along with all other male members of this 'family and extended family' (extended family live in the other properties). The light switch ALWAYS has some black grime on it as does the fridge DOOR. The DOOR FFS sake. Why do you need to touch the damn door when theres a handle on it?! Same with all the cabinet doors.

Also he is aggressive with everything in general, so around the sink after he has used it is water everywhere including water dripping down the front of the cabinets under the sink - and that water isn't always clean water.

There has been a lot of violence I have suffered from at their hands not to mention the emotional abuse. Learn what creates human behaviour. If someone is dumb, skinny, ripped, muscular, very knowledgeable etc, it is due to their environment which includes all the people in it not just the physical environment (which is not what environment really means in this context).

So no. I don't know how to cook for myself. And I'm trying to learn. I also was hospitalised and shot with morphine due to what I think was minced beef. Read one of my previous posts for more detail.

Let me learn in peace.

You sound like you need help from somewhere other than a computer forum..

Configure your trust so someone can pm you

Last edited:
Soldato
3 hours over.... You checked the NHS Web site?

Are you like a baby that suddenly became an adult a bit like that film Big?

Lol come on, wtf kind of smartass reply is this? The OP said he's cooking properly for the first time. He's asking for advice in the correct forum and you take the **** out of him. It's always the ones that never post in La Cuisine (your previous posts show that) that come along once in a while just to troll.

What do you put each portion into to freeze? Cling film would be dangerous for like raw chicken breast and beef right? Too thin so can tear easily?

Yeah, I just wrap in cling film and put that in the container the chicken or beef came in as in my photo below. I suppose it could tear but I've not had any problems so far. A freezer ziplock bag would be better.

20190913-005229.jpg

Associate
OP
So far the hellofresh recipes have been disgusting. The Prawn Thai Curry is utter vile. The chicken chow mein was not nice but not disgusting. It contains 22g of sugar per serving I ate 2/3rd's which is around 33g of sugar. That's as much sugar as in a can of cola. It's their disgusting premade paste's and sauce's. My god. Utter vile. Can't believe white people can palate this garbage. I LOVE AUTHENTIC Mexican and Indian food. Keyword being authentic. Best to go to the countries and stay with families and eat street food to get authentic. Which I have done.

Hellofresh is like some kid decided to make 'recipes'. They are stupid simple, all the recipes call for the same veggies and they are either courgette, carrot or a red pepper. Not even joking. Oh and red chilli which has no heat to it at all and tastes like red pepper.
I almost puked with the Thai Curry one. I just finished cleaning up having made it and I am starving because it was too vile for me to put in my mouth.

Any recommendations for AUTHENTIC Mexican recipes? Not the garbage on sites like bbc and pretty much every site that comes up with a google search.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I just wrap in cling film and put that in the container the chicken or beef came in as in my photo below. I suppose it could tear but I've not had any problems so far. A freezer ziplock bag would be better.

20190913-005229.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I thought you meant like you bu those £25 5kg chicken breasts or however many kg's it is from the butchers and you take them out and cling film them then store them all in the freezer in just their cling film stacked ontop of each other or a similar fashion. People that bulk buy in bulk like that; only I have no idea how they freeze the chicken breasts as cling film sounds dangerous.

Any ideas?

Also why do you wrap your chicken in cling film then put it in the fridge?

Soldato
Holy racial stereotyping Batman!
lol what is going on with these forums lately. Seems to totally accept racism, anti-semitic abuse et al now. I mean, worse than usual :o

Dunno what he expected from HF, it's clearly for people who can't cook. For authentic Mexican I'd recommend the Thomasina Miers books because that's what I've used. But then again, she's a white English girl so he probably won't like it...

I've done the Serious Eats pork carnitas a few times. They're awesome.

Associate
OP
lol what is going on with these forums lately. Seems to totally accept racism, anti-semitic abuse et al now. I mean, worse than usual :o

Dunno what he expected from HF, it's clearly for people who can't cook. For authentic Mexican I'd recommend the Thomasina Miers books because that's what I've used. But then again, she's a white English girl so he probably won't like it...

I've done the Serious Eats pork carnitas a few times. They're awesome.

It is not racist. White people have VERY bland palates compared to ethnics. For example. Indian restaurants have all made their dishes to cater to white peoples tastes. Aka less heat and specific spices.

Think of typical traditional British cooking. Going back through history very clearly shows white peoples foods vs ethnics.

I google'd this Thomasina and she co founded wahaca. Wahaca's food is NOT authentic Mexican and is pretty crap in taste and quality.

A quick extract from one of her books visible for free on Amazon using 'look inside':

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mexican-Food-Simple-Thomasina-Miers-ebook/dp/B005ZTBZ50

She writes 'When I first travelled to Mexico, I was under the impression that chillies were either red or green and either hot or damned hot. Instead I found dozens of different varieties .... etc etc''.
Just goes to show that white people DO have bland palate bases. She wasn't even aware of the huge variety of chillies that exist let alone using them in her cooking.
Mexicans are BORN into it. They don't need to learn it as white people do in their 20's+.
Same applies for Indians etc etc.
This of course only applies to functional healthy families where the parents teach and allow their children to cook and can cook well themselves.

My parents have a family friend whose cooking is INCREDIBLE. My stepmothers and my aunties cooking is **** in comparison.
The family friend who is their age, has made the same dishes my stepmother has made and they were AMAZING. She has also made dishes that I have always hated, but I tried them because her food tastes so damn good, and oh my. I loved those same dishes I had hated my entire life.

So the skill, knowledge, experience and what region and specific area and even street an ethnic family come from, plays a huge role in the taste of their food.

White people DO have a more bland palate vs ethnics. No question about it. Go to any typical British white persons house vs an Indian. Indians have literal cabinets with shelves full of various spices, herbs etc. Over 50 spices in one household easily stocked in large quantities due to the amount they use daily.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think of typical traditional British cooking. Going back through history very clearly shows white peoples foods vs ethnics.
You're confusing race with geography. I won't deny "traditional" British cooking uses less spices but that doesn't mean all white people have boring palates. There you've jumped to making an assumption about race. What you actually mean to say is more western or European people.

I google'd this Thomasina and she co founded wahaca. Wahaca's food is NOT authentic Mexican and is pretty crap in taste and quality.
Tell that to the two Mexican girls I work with. They would never say it's as good as Mexico city tacos but they find it pretty authentic in places and more to the point - tasty. Wahaca's food is great, I trust my tastebuds well enough to know it. Don't give us that rubbish that because Thomasina is a white European she can't make an authentic Mexican recipe. That's as bad as the people having a go at Gordon Ramsey's new Asian restaurant. Guess what, the world's a small place now and with the right research and travel, it's very easy for a decent chef to go out and find the "authentic" recipes. If you don't like it because a white person has made it.. well flip that on its head and tell me how it sounds back to you...

So the skill, knowledge, experience and what region and specific area and even street an ethnic family come from, plays a huge role in the taste of their food.
I'd never deny that.

White people DO have a more bland palate vs ethnics. No question about it. Go to any typical British white persons house vs an Indian. Indians have literal cabinets with shelves full of various spices, herbs etc. Over 50 spices in one household easily stocked in large quantities due to the amount they use daily.
I have a huge amount of spices in my house because I enjoy cooking. My girlfriend used to live with a Punjabi girl who couldn't cook for toffee. It was embarrassing. She had no spices and no idea. Again, you're making broad assumptions about race which create quite negative connotations. Talk about 'British people' or 'Western people' all you like...

I'm guessing a couple of British guys winning 'best restaurant in the UK' for their northern Thai restaurant would send you absolutely crazy? https://www.standard.co.uk/go/londo...t-at-national-restaurant-awards-a3860331.html

Associate
OP
You're confusing race with geography. I won't deny "traditional" British cooking uses less spices but that doesn't mean all white people have boring palates. There you've jumped to making an assumption about race. What you actually mean to say is more western or European people.

Not all. The majority. No doubt about it. Ethnic daily cooking involves 'exotic' spices and many of them. My local huge Tesco doesn't stock any of the ingredients my stepmother and aunty need let alone spices. So my dad makes a monthly trip to London which is a good 2 hours away to get the ingredients needed in bulk.
Chipotle chillies aren't available either. No fresh spices and chillies are available at my local Tesco.
Wanna cook Jamaican? Gonna have to go to London and find a small Jamaican supermarket or store for that.

Tell that to the two Mexican girls I work with. They would never say it's as good as Mexico city tacos but they find it pretty authentic in places and more to the point - tasty.

What are you talking about? Wahaca?

Wahaca's food is great, I trust my tastebuds well enough to know it.

You have low food standards then. Have you even been to Mexico and other countries? I have lived in other non-western countries for years being ethnic myself.

Don't give us that rubbish that because Thomasina is a white European she can't make an authentic Mexican recipe. That's as bad as the people having a go at Gordon Ramsey's new Asian restaurant. Guess what, the world's a small place now and with the right research and travel, it's very easy for a decent chef to go out and find the "authentic" recipes. If you don't like it because a white person has made it.. well flip that on its head and tell me how it sounds back to you...

Never said it's because of her ethnicity. She is a white person raised and born in a western country. She travelled to Mexico for a bit and then co founds a franchised 'Mexican' restaurant. LOL. LOL At you thinking Wahaca is even CLOSE to authentic.

I'd never deny that.

I have a huge amount of spices in my house because I enjoy cooking. My girlfriend used to live with a Punjabi girl who couldn't cook for toffee. It was embarrassing. She had no spices and no idea. Again, you're making broad assumptions about race which create quite negative connotations. Talk about 'British people' or 'Western people' all you like...

Nope. So some punjabi girl couldn't cook. Big deal. Doesn't change the importance of the food culture a person is BORN into.

I'm guessing a couple of British guys winning 'best restaurant in the UK' for their northern Thai restaurant would send you absolutely crazy? https://www.standard.co.uk/go/londo...t-at-national-restaurant-awards-a3860331.html

Awards mean nothing. Go to Thailand and a street vendor might be able to outdo them. You cannot change the fact that the food culture you are born into is the one you are a master of IF you learn to cook.

Don't know how to use quotes on this site so my replies are within the quote above for some reason.

Soldato
Wanna cook Jamaican? Gonna have to go to London and find a small Jamaican supermarket or store for that.
What's your point? Why not order online? Again, you seem stuck in this old world-view that white simpletons don't know their spices and can't cook anything apart from beige food :confused: Sorry bud, the world's changed. And stop using the term 'ethnic' like that, it sounds daft and childish. Northern Irish people could be considered 'ethnic', do they cook spicy food all the time?

What are you talking about? Wahaca?
Yes.

You have low food standards then. Have you even been to Mexico and other countries? I have lived in other non-western countries for years being ethnic myself.
lol "low food standards". Really? You want to go down that road? And have I been to "other countries" ummmmm yes. Honestly this argument is going nowhere because I'm pretty sure you're under 14 with the way you are writing. And you're 'ethnic' ? Ethnic what? You can't be classed as an 'ethnic' (minority) in everyone country you've lived in. So please, do spill the beans. What's your background that makes you think you can talk down to all white people when it comes to spices? lol...

Never said it's because of her ethnicity. She is a white person raised and born in a western country. She travelled to Mexico for a bit and then co founds a franchised 'Mexican' restaurant. LOL. LOL At you thinking Wahaca is even CLOSE to authentic.
Some recipes would be, some recipes wouldn't because she has adapted them to use British ingredients. E.g. British cheese instead of queso fresco. But she says that, she is afterall trying to create recipes that people can recreate at home in the UK. I'm not going to go round in circles on it, I get so annoyed at people debating what is 'authentic' and just because she's a white British person doesn't mean she hasn't done her due diligence. I think it's extremely unkind to dismiss someone who has been the biggest proponent of Mexican cuisine in the UK, it smacks of having a massive chip on your shoulder and honestly I'd half expect you to start waving the 'cultural appropriation' flag any minute now :rolleyes: And you say it's not because of her ethnicity yet you immediatelybring up the fact she's white again?...

Awards mean nothing. Go to Thailand and a street vendor might be able to outdo them. You cannot change the fact that the food culture you are born into is the one you are a master of IF you learn to cook.
And plenty of street vendors would be utterly awful, too. I don't disagree with that. I disagree with you saying that someone from a different country can't cook another country's cuisine well enough. Marco Pierre White was the youngest chef to ever win 3 Michelin stars and he'd never even been to France.

Don't know how to use quotes on this site so my replies are within the quote above for some reason.
You hit the quote button. Or the multi quote button.

Soldato
I ate some burgers last night, purchased on Thursday, cooked yesterday evening. They smelled fine but there were patches of whitish mold around the corners.

Did them in the BBQ and normally have burgers slightly pink, but given the above I cooked them through. Absolutely fine.

During June when we had that really hot spell, I ate some burgers that had been left out overnight in the heat, after being cooked the evening before. They had been cooked, from frozen, and parts of the inside of the burger were still raw. The burgers were originally puchased out of the reduced section in the supermarket as they were going out of date.

How many food safety rules have I just broken?

Again, perfectly fine.

These are just two examples of things like this I do all the time, and it's not through ignorance, I understand food hygiene.

Yet I never seem to get ill?

Soldato
Glad to get the thread back on track!

I probably wouldn't risk burgers left out overnight (when it's warm). They're going to be sitting in the danger zone (8c-63c) for 8-24hrs (24hrs assuming you left them in the evening and cooked them the next). That's a very real risk of getting ill, so I'm curious as to why you're being quite happy about it. Do that every day for a week and I'm sure you'd get ill at least once. Again, it's all about risk versus reward for me.

Caporegime
I ate some burgers last night, purchased on Thursday, cooked yesterday evening. They smelled fine but there were patches of whitish mold around the corners.

Did them in the BBQ and normally have burgers slightly pink, but given the above I cooked them through. Absolutely fine.

During June when we had that really hot spell, I ate some burgers that had been left out overnight in the heat, after being cooked the evening before. They had been cooked, from frozen, and parts of the inside of the burger were still raw. The burgers were originally puchased out of the reduced section in the supermarket as they were going out of date.

How many food safety rules have I just broken?

Again, perfectly fine.

These are just two examples of things like this I do all the time, and it's not through ignorance, I understand food hygiene.

Yet I never seem to get ill?

We do all having varying constitutions though, I've never had food poisoning, even when I have had the same food that has made others ill. The one time I thought I had, turns out my appendix had exploded, haha.

Soldato
We do all having varying constitutions though, I've never had food poisoning, even when I have had the same food that has made others ill. The one time I thought I had, turns out my appendix had exploded, haha.

Ouch, yea dont envy you on that.

I do think you build up a tolerance and better immunity getting little doses of nasties here and there.

I used to work in a sewage treatment plant and they said you'd build up a good immune system, that and working as a lifeguard in swimming pools as a kid, the swimming pools being the dirtier of the two believe me.

Caporegime
Ouch, yea dont envy you on that.

I do think you build up a tolerance and better immunity getting little doses of nasties here and there.

I used to work in a sewage treatment plant and they said you'd build up a good immune system, that and working as a lifeguard in swimming pools as a kid, the swimming pools being the dirtier of the two believe me.

Totally, hence people having issues with Mexican/Indian food when the locals are fine, they just have an adapated tolerance.

daz

daz

Soldato
Only time I've ever realised I had food poisoning was after a caesar salad at a hotel in vegas. Had a terrible 24 hours after that... can only think it was poor hygiene in the salad prep, perhaps someone not washing their hands between handling something raw and the ingredients that went in to it.

Generally speaking I'll adhere to use by dates on chicken, fish and mince. Something like a vacuum packed steak I'll give a bit of leeway to.

daz

daz

Soldato
Just to add, Wahaca is much better than what came before it - i.e. the **** poor tex-mex that was typical of 'mexican' food in this country.

daz

daz

Soldato
Any recommendations for AUTHENTIC Mexican recipes? Not the garbage on sites like bbc and pretty much every site that comes up with a google search.

I get my dried chillies from here:-
https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/whole-dried-and-smoked-chillies/

You'll probably also want to try to get some real corn flour tortillas, but I haven't found a good source for those in the UK. You can try to make your own tortillas but I've not attempted that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom