• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PS5 AMD GPU will support RT

Soldato
OP
Can we then assume it's more RDNA 2 than it is 1. Pretty much every gpu can do RT so can claim RT support. The question is if they are saying RT support do they mean it does it well or has added hardware to do the job well.

For Sony to be putting it in to the PS5 it must be able to do it to a certain standard surely.

Man of Honour
Sony pretty much confirming here that the AMD GPU in the PS5 supports ray tracing.

I find that significant as it means AMD do have hardware that can do RT.

It has never been a question about if a GPU can do RT - but whether there is enough performance to make it worth doing at a passable quality level. Pascal can do RT by employing its compute architecture and some CPU processing but it is at best 6x slower than Turing which limits its to around 600p@30 FPS for a reasonable visual quality path tracing implementation.

Associate
It has never been a question about if a GPU can do RT - but whether there is enough performance to make it worth doing at a passable quality level. Pascal can do RT by employing its compute architecture and some CPU processing but it is at best 6x slower than Turing which limits its to around 600p@30 FPS for a reasonable visual quality path tracing implementation.
Yeah my 1080Ti can run the RT benchmark in 3D mark, badly I if I do say but can run it.

Associate
Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia released a fire breathing whore of a RTX GPU to undermine the next gen consoles in terms of Ray Tracing performance.

I'm not expecting amazing Ray Tracing performance from these consoles. They need to be sold at 400/500 GBP max to target the casuals.

Soldato
I'm not expecting amazing Ray Tracing performance from these consoles. They need to be sold at 400/500 GBP max to target the casuals.
And in traditional fashion, the console makers will eat losses on the hardware to recoup via software. Have you heard what's going into the PS5 Pro? No way in hell could Sony even break at £500 ish, but £500 ish it will be.

Associate
Unless you love first party exclusives or are tied heavily into the eco-system, there isn't much, if anything to be excited about from next gen.

And in traditional fashion, the console makers will eat losses on the hardware to recoup via software. Have you heard what's going into the PS5 Pro? No way in hell could Sony even break at £500 ish, but £500 ish it will be.

Making a loss on console sold ended with PS3/360. That won't happen again.

Soldato
I have no problem in a £500 console of its optional e.g. ps5 pro.

I think of peoe want it/their kids scream loudly enough they would get bought.

Normal people **** away £3k+ a year on 20 a day so a console for £500 is chump change

Soldato
It was closer to a GT 7600 IIRC

The PS3 was not a 1080p gaming machine.
It might have been 1080P for the very very odd game, but certainly anything like uncharted was very much 720p

I am not sure where that comes from. Do a google, the ps3 chip is pretty much a gtx7800 and has higher clocks. The chip in the xbox 360 was a 1900/1950 based chip with some similarities to the 2900. They were high end chips at the time.Most console chips are based on the pc but with some differencies depending on what the platform developer wants. I was running a 1900xtx at the time and it could do 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom