**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
Depends if you're looking at the 4 or 4 XL, I'm worried the smaller 4 will suffer with the 2800mAh battery and 90Hz screen, even if it is only a 1080p panel.

One of the early youtube reviewers reckoned that the display is only at 90hz when you're looking at it. That would be an interesting way of improving battery life, but I haven't heard anyone else mention it yet.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
That is true its been confirmed, 2800 mAh is still pretty small though, and chances are if your screen is on you're looking at it. ;)

Soldato
128gb storage and a fingerprint scanner may have been enough to sway me.

But then there is one thing the Pixel 4 may have and that is better battery life. It's not all that great on my S10+.

I was concerned by lack of fingerprint. However I have seen a fair few videos of the face unlock and by all accounts all be it early its the fastest around.

Soldato
That is true its been confirmed, 2800 mAh is still pretty small though, and chances are if your screen is on you're looking at it. ;)

It's like stop-start tech on a car I suppose. All the little times you're stopped (or not looking, in the case of the phone) add up to something that might be worthwhile in some usage cases. Like you suggest, it's not likely to add too much to the overall longevity.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Lets hope so. As long as Soli works it should be OK. (!)

Question: Am I right in saying the wireless charging with the Pixels is only fast with the Pixel stand but slow with any other standard wireless charger? You can use a wireless charger that isn't a Pixel stand right?

Edit: nevermind, answered my own question. - https://www.androidcentral.com/does-pixel-4-support-wireless-charging

Last edited:
Soldato
And yet it wont work, because nobody is going to ditch their Apple phones, and the Apple ecosystem for a knock off version full of bugs, unfinished software, and very poor ecosystem in comparison... not to mention getting about 20% of the value of the phone back after 2 years. Apple can get away with having relatively underwhelming specs because the software is beautifully optimised, the same sadly cannot be said for Android.

Basically because Google tax; they are trading on the reputation of vanilla Android, but unfortunately for Google, that is not the draw it used to be for consumers. Other Android manufacturers are actually making a better fist of it now IMO, with more features and more reliability, people don’t really generally care about feature updates anymore. Vanilla Android alone is not worth paying the premium for, not when you can get £200 phones with that so called selling point!

As for the lack of wide angle, basically they expect people to use the photosphere function instead. It works fairly well, but it’s a lot of effort compared to a proper UW lens and can result in artefacts unless you’re looking at a completely static image with no moving objects.

Google seem incapable of learning from their mistakes at this point. The amount of people I’ve seen on forums and reddit suggesting they are going to move to Apple now makes me think that Google are facing an uphill battle from here. Given their propensity for abandoning products, I honestly wouldn’t be completely surprised to see them give up with phones within the next five years - not the OS, but the actual hardware. They just don’t seem to be able to compete, which is mind boggling for a company of their resources.

I disagree with most of this, I moved from the iPhone 7 (having had the previous ones over the years) to the Pixel 2 XL, and then the 3XL and now ordered the 4XL - for me, the software is just the same as iOS, I genuinely do not get what everyone wants with this phone? Good quality camera, good apps, looks good, can watch videos in good quality, I could go on...

I literally haven't cared about a headphone jack for about 5 years, wireless headphones are the future, people just need to move on.

I will agree with you on the value though, these phones do not hold anywhere near enough value compared to Apple, but then that is the same with the Samsungs as well, not exclusive to Google Pixels, also, Apple is a 'fashion' brand with their handsets, people buy into that.

Soldato
I was concerned by lack of fingerprint. However I have seen a fair few videos of the face unlock and by all accounts all be it early its the fastest around.

Not as quick as fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone when taking the phone out of your pocket. ;)

I'm not too bothered about small battery size either, I carry around power bank in my back pack 99% of the time even though I hardly ever need to use.

Soldato
Not as quick as fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone when taking the phone out of your pocket. ;)

That depends. If you measure it from when you're ready to use it to it being ready to be used... it is as quick by all accounts. Pick it up or take it from your pocket and it's scanning already, and unlocked by the time you're looking at it.

Soldato
That depends. If you measure it from when you're ready to use it to it being ready to be used... it is as quick by all accounts. Pick it up or take it from your pocket and it's scanning already, and unlocked by the time you're looking at it.

As long as it works reliably I'm not too bothered though I'm sure I will miss finger print scanner at the start.

Soldato
One of the early youtube reviewers reckoned that the display is only at 90hz when you're looking at it. That would be an interesting way of improving battery life, but I haven't heard anyone else mention it yet.
No doubting this is fact but I can't think of a time when my phone is on and I'm not looking at it. At a push maybe when I'm using it as a Satnav. So when I'm not looking at the phone the screen will be off 99.9% of the time so therefore the refresh rate shouldn't come into it?

Associate
I disagree with most of this, I moved from the iPhone 7 (having had the previous ones over the years) to the Pixel 2 XL, and then the 3XL and now ordered the 4XL - for me, the software is just the same as iOS, I genuinely do not get what everyone wants with this phone? Good quality camera, good apps, looks good, can watch videos in good quality, I could go on...

I would have agreed but mine has been unreliable for me, sadly. Possibly got a lemon, but then I read on reddit about all the problems with the Pixel 3, which seemed to be even more numerous than with the 2. So it seems their quality control isn't all that. If someone could assure me that I would get a quality product which was generally dependable then it would STILL have my interest. The normal SD855 and 6Gb of RAM never bothered me. I am all about the UX and when a phone is glitching out all the time then it undermines your confidence in it.

Then again, this iPhone I'm using I've found 2 annoying faults already today, so I am actually starting to wonder if I am the problem and I simply expect too much from these things. I am unsure as everyone I know just tells me I'm unlucky with everything I buy (was the same with cars, always seemed to run into every documented fault going), but then I wonder if I just notice things that other people just don't notice or care about....

With that in mind, I probably shouldn't rule it out even yet....

Edit: and on the subject of FPS v FaceID, I actually LOVE that its got faceID, it works great on this iPhone and my phone was always unlocking itself in my pocket due to my hand being in my pocket and catching the sensor, so I'm not going to miss that.

Soldato
No doubting this is fact but I can't think of a time when my phone is on and I'm not looking at it. At a push maybe when I'm using it as a Satnav. So when I'm not looking at the phone the screen will be off 99.9% of the time so therefore the refresh rate shouldn't come into it?

Didn't they say it will only run at 90hz when the phone detects it's required? To me that sounded like it will only run at higher rate when watching videos, playing or scrolling through things.

Soldato
Didn't they say it will only run at 90hz when the phone detects it's required? To me that sounded like it will only run at higher rate when watching videos, playing or scrolling through things.
THAT makes more sense but I definitely saw the review where the guy said it was when you were looking at it - pretty sure it was mrwhostheboss or whatever he's called.

Associate

iPad Pro has a 120Hz screen and that adjusts the refresh rate on the fly. Hopefully a similar system will be in place here. If it could adjust to 60 / 24 fps for video, 1 fps for a static screen and 90 Hz when scrolling or navigating the OS, that would be ideal. Problem i have is Android is never always butter smooth at all times and I feel a 90Hz screen could make that even more obvious / jarring. Time will tell... :)

Soldato
How will verifying purchases work without finger print reader? How do I login to apps? Buy things from play store? Purchase above the £30 contact less amount?

With Apple, you double-press the side button to bring up Apple pay, then you look at the phone (for FaceID authentication) and hold the phone at the reader. It's fairly quick and easy and I assume the Pixel 4 will employ a similar method.

Back
Top Bottom