Smart motorways with hard shoulders only used at busy times are "too complicated for people to use"

Caporegime
Smart motorways with hard shoulders only used at busy times are "too complicated for people to use" and won't be built in the future, Highway England's boss has said.

Smart motorways with hard shoulders only used at busy times are "too complicated for people to use" and won't be built in the future, Highway England's boss has said.

Jim O'Sullivan told MPs the government-owned company will not build any more "dynamic" smart motorways, where drivers use hard shoulders at busy times, because too many motorists do not understand them.

Parts of the M1, M4, M5, M6, M42 and M62 have already been converted but it is not clear what the cost has been.

Mr O'Sullivan said drivers are confused about when they can use the hard shoulder and when it is closed to non-emergency traffic.

He told the Commons' transport select committee that some hard shoulders on dynamic smart motorways are only open to traffic during morning and evening peaks, but this catches out some drivers when their routine changes.

"People whose normal daily commute takes place at 8am or 9am, if they've been to the dentist and come out at 11am they drive down the hard shoulder," he said.

"When we close it at other times of the day, people still drive down it.

"We get people who stop there when it's a running lane.

"What we also find is, because people aren't sure if it's a hard shoulder or a running lane, even when it is open, the usage of that running lane is much lower because people aren't sure whether it's a hard shoulder or not.

"I don't think we will be building any more dynamic hard shoulder smart motorways. They're just too complicated for people to use."

Other smart motorways include a type where all lanes, including the hard shoulder, are open apart from when there is an accident.

Controlled motorways have variable speed limits but retain the hard shoulder for emergencies.

Concerns about smart motorways have been raised over the past few years, with a number of drivers being killed after stopping in live running lanes.

In March, Derek Jacobs, 83, was killed after his car was hit when he stopped in the fast lane on a section of the M1 in Derbyshire converted to a smart motorway.

A woman was killed months before on the same stretch of road after leaving a broken down car.

However, Mr O'Sullivan insisted smart motorways are "as safe or safer than conventional motorways".

He added: "I would prefer to break down in the live lane of a managed motorway or a smart motorway than I would prefer to break down on a live lane on a conventional motorway or on a dual carriageway."
https://news.sky.com/story/end-of-d...mplicated-says-highways-england-boss-11843218

About time.

I've always found "smart" motorways anything but once you add into the mix non smart drivers....

Discuss.

Edit:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/no-more-dynamic-smart-motorways.18868320/

Oh well! :o :D

Soldato
We had/have the safest motorways in Europe, they shouldn't have messed with it.

The more confusing and distracting they make it the more accidents there will be.

Soldato
I'm amazed that people can genuinely find it difficult to pay attention to signage but at the same time, I don't see this as a bad thing.

I shouldn't be surprised, especially since only the other day I was driving on the M25 with the signage clearly stating to use the hard shoulder and there wasn't a car in that lane for quite a few miles. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was doing the 60mph limit and just undertaking cars for a good 3 minutes plus before finally having to move into lane 2 to overtake. The concept of the hard shoulder being a lane at certain times really isn't difficult, but people are absolute morons.

Soldato
I'm amazed that people can genuinely find it difficult to pay attention to signage but at the same time, I don't see this as a bad thing.

I shouldn't be surprised, especially since only the other day I was driving on the M25 with the signage clearly stating to use the hard shoulder and there wasn't a car in that lane for quite a few miles. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was doing the 60mph limit and just undertaking cars for a good 3 minutes plus before finally having to move into lane 2 to overtake. The concept of the hard shoulder being a lane at certain times really isn't difficult, but people are absolute morons.
A bit like the none 24 hour bus lane near me, it's like a private road sometimes:p.

Man of Honour
If they are too complicated to use should you really be in charge of a vehicle?

It is a good point but I think the reality is modern life has forced a lot of people onto the roads that wouldn't otherwise choose to be driving.

Soldato
They are changing the m27 here to have no hard shoulder only emergency refuges at set distances so I guess it’s tough luck if you break down in the wrong area as drivers will need to follow the signs warning them..

Soldato
This was just a cost cutting measure to add an extra lane to motorways for less money, only now they've discovered people aren't as smart as the new system.

I endured 2 years of commuting through roadworks and reduced speed limits while they put this on the M4, same on the m5 afterwards, so imo all it has achieved is a lot of wasted time and resources.

Soldato
Good. Bit pointless anyway, when the majority of drivers seem to prefer sitting in the middle lanes.
Rather that spending more money converting the hard shoulder into a running lane that few people use, I'd rather they spend it on educating drivers on how to use the existing lanes more efficiently.

Soldato
They are changing the m27 here to have no hard shoulder only emergency refuges at set distances so I guess it’s tough luck if you break down in the wrong area as drivers will need to follow the signs warning them..

Yea thats why they are dangerous, especially at night.

The default rule used to be never drive on the hard shoulder, now its sometimes drive on it. If you break down its now far more risky.

Soldato
Have not yet been on a motorway used in smart mode .. but are all the hard shoulders guaranteed free of debris with good drainage ? that would be my aversion
.. ok - if they are just being depolyed during traffic jams at slower speeds ....

Associate
Put the money towards systems or funding for traffic police to deal with the ***** who sit in the middle lanes oblivious to whats happening around them. Those idiots effectly half the capacity of the motorway.

Associate
I think the issue is probably more due to people being paranoid at the prospect of being fined for following advice from the signage that's actually outdated, or incorrect, for the current conditions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom