Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
Do it, I just did it right now.

My point was that many people are suffering with sudden and severe FPS drops and stutter in game, I figured your benchmark was showing the same. Genuinely happy it runs and runs well for you.

Yea, it sucks for those having issues. As it truly seems like a lottery, my wife is playing on a very similar rig to me, but with a 1080 ti instead and she's had no issues either. Yet we have a friend who has an almost identical system to me and he's been informing us that he can barely play it due to stutters.

I hope R* get some patches out ASAP to solve the problems.

Soldato
Unfortunately, it does seem there are a lot of issues, whilst I haven't experienced a single problem and it runs amazingly for me. It looks as though a lot of people are having issues, so it may be worth holding off, as someone said previously, it's a bit of a lottery if it works or not.

ummm well yeah, what you expect with a GPU that costs more than most peoples PC. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'm not getting pissy, I've been playing the game without stutters at very good fps with everything ultra lol, I've nothing to prove. I'm just trying to help others understand the expected performance from a specific setup for those who might have the same setup as it's a common mish mash of PC components.

And sure, load up Borderlands, I'm almost certain it will have the same. I'll do the same as I've also got BL3 installed.

Not wanting to add to the argument but it doesn't really go that low for me. I get min 25, max 117 and average 65.

Permabanned
l9xUfEh.jpg

Some of the people in this thread! :p

This sums up some of the thoughts on here perfectly. A lot of it basically comes down to the fact its a super demanding game and it may be running great for you bu not everyone has a GPU thats a 1080ti or upwards.

Granted though, there are some people who are just straight up having problems but telling everyone its running great for you with your 2080ti is beside the point really.

Soldato
Just trying to help and contribute. If I had a less powerful machine and no issues the conversation wouldn't be as hostile it seems.

Anyway, I'm testing a bunch of options to see where I can spot the dip causing the low fps. And it seems its gsync.

Soldato
cGLSvs7.png

It was either gsync or changing the option from 'Optimal power' to 'Prefer Maximum performance' in nvidia control panel. Thanks for highlighting @McBain , I'd have lived with that thinking it was normal! I've tested enabling gsync back and it looks like it's the power option in the nvidia control panel. Which would make sense, the GPU underclocking heavily between scenes and ramping up and down.

Caporegime
cGLSvs7.png

It was either gsync or changing the option from 'Optimal power' to 'Prefer Maximum performance' in nvidia control panel. Thanks for highlighting @McBain , I'd have lived with that thinking it was normal! I've tested enabling gsync back and it looks like it's the power option in the nvidia control panel. Which would make sense, the GPU underclocking heavily between scenes and ramping up and down.

I'm here to help :p

haha, glad you got it sorted! I wish I could run that benchmark :(

Permabanned
Just trying to help and contribute. If I had a less powerful machine and no issues the conversation wouldn't be as hostile it seems.

Anyway, I'm testing a bunch of options to see where I can spot the dip causing the low fps. And it seems its gsync.

Wasn't having a go at you Agnes, I can see you trying to help people as usual.

Soldato
I'm here to help :p

haha, glad you got it sorted! I wish I could run that benchmark :(

Dude, I really hope R* pull their finger out. It's a seriously cack launch on their part.

For what it's worth, I've always disabled Windows game bar and DVR options, as I know they can also cause havoc in some games. And try disabling Windows Bluetooth as that's caused launch issues and stability issues for me before in other games.

Game bar - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-and-remove-game-bar-windows-10-creators-update

Bluetooth - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-bluetooth-windows-10

Associate
i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz + 1080 running @ 1440p and im averaging about 40-45 fps with everything set to high apart from Textures and Lighting which are set to Ultra.

Im perfectly happy with that, if i push the settings further it drops to about 30fps but for some reason it still feels and plays relatively smooth, possibly because i have Gsync monitor ?

It reminds of the Crysis games where low FPS still feels as smooth as some other games with higher FPS. Is this because of motion blur ?

Caporegime
Dude, I really hope R* pull their finger out. It's a seriously cack launch on their part.

For what it's worth, I've always disabled Windows game bar and DVR options, as I know they can also cause havoc in some games. And try disabling Windows Bluetooth as that's caused launch issues and stability issues for me before in other games.

Game bar - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-and-remove-game-bar-windows-10-creators-update

Bluetooth - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-bluetooth-windows-10

Thanks but those were disabled pretty much as soon as I installed Windows as I've had problems with Game Bar etc in the past, can't remember what game it was though, possibly BF5 and stutter IIRC.

Other things that I know can cause problems and might help others are any sort of overlay like Afterburner/Riva. Unfortunately those are all disabled/closed and it hasn't helped me.

At least these issues are fairly widespread, not that I enjoy other people having the same problems but at least if lots of people are raising it they should get fixed sooner.

Soldato
Thanks but those were disabled pretty much as soon as I installed Windows as I've had problems with Game Bar etc in the past, can't remember what game it was though, possibly BF5 and stutter IIRC.

Other things that I know can cause problems and might help others are any sort of overlay like Afterburner/Riva. Unfortunately those are all disabled/closed and it hasn't helped me.

At least these issues are fairly widespread, not that I enjoy other people having the same problems but at least if lots of people are raising it they should get fixed sooner.

I know it is a long shoot but did you check out this suggestion that Usher posted some pages back ?

Try checking Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable 2015-2019, no games can start without it and I noticed this game included an update as it installed but some may have failed to install it properly. You can soon check by looking to see if you have one dated Nov 5th

Caporegime
I know it is a long shoot but did you check out this suggestion that Usher posted some pages back ?

Thanks but yeah, also made sure .NET etc is all up to date :(

Someone on Reddit mentioned to try and run a repair on the C++ distributable as well, done!

Dont think there's much out there I haven't done short of a complete reinstall of Windows.

Associate
Finally got it to work, rolled back a BIOS update, was on 42d rolled back to 40. Did get a new error though but gave me the chance to run the game in safe mode and been working fine since.

Ryzen 2600
1070ti

Benchmark (All high settings, 1440p, 2x AA)
min fps - 3.9
max fps - 60
Average fps - 41.5

Back
Top Bottom