Mountain Biking

Associate
ragley1.jpg

finally got round to finishing off the Blue Pig today. Nicely timed to finish just as it got too dark to ride :(

I originally intended it to be a cheapo build, using a few spare bits I had kicking about, but after digging through the bits, there's a reason why they're not being used (100+ stem, short handlebars, old old avid brakes, etc). so, it's ended up being far more newer parts than intended, and probably a LOT cheaper to just buy a complete build...

Ragley Blue Pig frame (sprayed the inside with Fluid Film for corrosion prevention. Helitaped the outside main tubes)
SRAM GX groupset (tempted to change the chain to X1, as it's meant to improve shifting)
RS Yari fork, 160mm
E13 TRS+ rear wheel, which originally came with my Jeffsy CF Pro (rear rim was buckled, so rebuilt with rim from the old front)
Hope Fortus 35 Front wheel (boost fork, so was an excuse not to reuse my E13 front, and use the parts for above)
Mavic Claw Pro XL 2.5" tyres front and back. Spares I had, but they're a bit too soft for the back and will die quickly.
SRAM G2 RSC brakes, with 180mm rotors
Nukeproof Horizon 35mm stem
Nukeproof Horizon 780mm riser handlebar
Brand X headset
Deathgrip thick grips
Brand X 150mm dropper (cable still a tad too long, will re-shorten when I know the correct height I want it, after a ride)
Some old DMR pedals. Might change to Superstar Evo sometime.
The original seat from YT

feels a lot heavier than my Jeffsy full suss... lol...

My original plan was to put the 160mm Yari on the Jeffsy, and the 150mm Fox 34 from the Jeffsy on this. But, YT's steerer tube looks to be cut about 5mm too short, so I'm trying the 160 here and thinking I can run it with slightly more sag and increase the mid/late progression with a 3rd token.

Soldato
So it looks like it might not be too BB and going from a Nomad 2 to a 5010.

New stuff I'd need,
Fork.
Wheel set and tyres.
Seat post.
Headset

Everything else should transfer across with some new things like gear cable, maybe new hydraulic hose as well.

The 5010 CC though £3,099 cheapest I've seen.

Think I paid about £1,800 for my Nomad 2.

Not sure what id get for selling my current wheels and Lyric RC2DH.
Would have a Nomad 2 frame with Canecreek double barrel air fitted as well.

Soldato
I finally got around to digging out my old bike. It hasn't been used in about 5 years due to one reason and another so has been a bit neglected. The dog managed to chew through the gear cables when he was a puppy so I'm giving it a bit of an over haul. New tyres are on order and I replaced the cables yesterday, they just need adjusting so they work properly. Everything else seems to be working OK so will hopefully be able to give it a blast soon.
c4sqKA9l.jpg

Caporegime
That looks pretty good for the money. I might even take a punt at that one, have a 5% voucher for it as well.

Looks the one I had from Lidl. Absoutle crap, IMO.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...olsstand&icb=bspot1-a-week45_2019_xtoolsstand

Got one of these now (though I'm sure I paid less) and it's so much better than those cheap stands. They don't clasp right, and you have to constantly mess about with it. Most of the time I couldn't be bothered using it. I mean for £30 it's ok.

Soldato
So this is the plan so far.

Santa Cruz 5010 CC Medium
Santa Cruz Reserve 30 wheel set
Fox 34 Performance Elite

Some questions,
As the rear is now boost will my SRAM X01 GXP cranks be okay?
Which dropper, seems a lot of love for the fox/marzochi dropper?

My current stuff should move across.
Hope Tech V2 front and M4 rear, probably drop to a 180 disc on the front.
XX1 casette, mech and shifter.
Easton Haven cabron bars + hope 50mm stem.

Associate
when i bought the bits for my Ragley recently I needed to choose a boost specific chainset (for a DUB BB). But, I can't see an obvious X01 boost vs non-boost chainset option :S

CRC don't seem to mention boost or non-boost on their X01 cranks.
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/crank-18624/l-24 list boost under both their options.

But... I think you could probably use your same cranks, and get a new chainring, with a different offset? I think 3mm offset is for boost and 6mm is non-boost. so, if you can just swap that, it will save some $ - worth some research...

Soldato
Thanks that makes sense. Could try one of those oval rings while I'm at it as well.

Next thing I need to consider is frame size.

My Nomad is medium with a reach of 383mm, even the medium 5010 I'd 440mm, bit stuff in reading suggest I may even benefit with the large at 460mm.

Should still for a 150mm dropper if my maths is right.

Nomad BB height + seat tube is 788mm, 5010 is 739 and 764mm. Hope I have that correct.

I have often felt im a bit sat upright on the Nomad. But 460mm reach seems a big increase.

Last edited:
Associate
but, it's that the theoretical reach? When you're actually sat on the bike the wider the bar and longer the stem, the longer the actual distance you need to reach?

So, moving from med (440) to large (460) could be helped by reducing your stem from 50 to 35? only a 5mm increase in reality?

I'm on the med/large cross-over too and I've always gone for med. Just with the thought of a lighter bike - especially as a modern geometry med is still probably longer than a 5 year old large. But, each bike is different, so find pinkbike/singletrack forum threads about the bike and try to weigh up from existing owners if med feels big, or a large feels small to decide?

Caporegime
So this is the plan so far.

Santa Cruz 5010 CC Medium
Santa Cruz Reserve 30 wheel set
Fox 34 Performance Elite

Some questions,
As the rear is now boost will my SRAM X01 GXP cranks be okay?
Which dropper, seems a lot of love for the fox/marzochi dropper?

My current stuff should move across.
Hope Tech V2 front and M4 rear, probably drop to a 180 disc on the front.
XX1 casette, mech and shifter.
Easton Haven cabron bars + hope 50mm stem.

Could probably put some spacers on the chainrings?

I did with my xt stuff, to make the chainline better. With some longer bolts.

Soldato
Yes direct mount, so looks like I can easily get a boost chainring for it.

It's amazing how many new standards there are in only a few years.
Hope my old stuff will bring a grand or so in.

Nomad 2 alloy frame in lime green medium.
Canecreek DB Air 215x63
Rockshox Lyrik RC2 DH 170MM

Back
Top Bottom