The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Fair enough - I'm not a great one for how a car looks from the outside, is there the odd mark, 1mm alignment issue etc ?? - I drive a car to go from A to B and enjoy the drive. I don't look at the outside of my car very often. I spend a lot of time in my car driving to clients houses etc. IS it comfy, does it drive well, does it make financial sense, how's the radio/music, how comfy are the seats, are the kids safe in the car. Those are the things for me.

I suspect someone would find many faults with my car if that's the case - I just don't have the time or the inclination to be as picky as others about the merest of marks/defects. If there is nothing major or obvious, then why bother? Driving in the UK roads is likely to end up with stone chips, kerb wheels, damage etc.

Basically - does it affect my enjoyment/comfort of driving the car that there is a tiny gap here or there on the outside? No....I get in and enjoy the drive.

Not trying to start an argument with anyone about it - I'm probably too laid back about these things to bother. More things to life than minuscule marks here and there.

daz

daz

Soldato
Drove the Model 3 today at Westfield, unaccompanied for an hour which was really nice. Just chucked the keys - shown a couple of bits and told come back at at 4, which was a really pleasant surprise compared to how some companies make you jump through hoops to even get a test drive, let alone an unaccompanied one!

It was 'just' the Standard range I drove, and even though the car I buy would probably be the Performance one, I was really impressed with the car. If my wife was looking for a car I'd be tempted to buy two - one P for me and one S+ for her. I just need to work out if I can make the Model 3 work as a 'main' family car. So just weighing up about long journeys, luggage space and how I feel living in a semi-rural part of the world (the Chilterns) where a larger 4x4 isn't a necessity but is a nice to have to get up/down hills and around generally when we have snow and other bad weather. Just this morning for example I dropped my son off at nursery and waded my car through what was probably 20cm water to get there, with a Tesla I'd have had to turn around and do a mile and a half detour, but that's true of any 'normal' car really.

Perhaps I'm not ready to go fully electric yet.

Soldato
Finally found a photo of the new 20" grey wheels:

3ny12lga7ps31.png

daz

daz

Soldato
So I did some man maths and I'll be saving a decent chunk of money getting a Model 3, the difference in fuel means it almost pays for itself. So I have placed a deposit on the Performance model, grey with white interior. Hopefully delivery before Christmas.

Soldato
So I did some man maths and I'll be saving a decent chunk of money getting a Model 3, the difference in fuel means it almost pays for itself. So I have placed a deposit on the Performance model, grey with white interior. Hopefully delivery before Christmas.

What were you driving before to make a performance model break even??

My SR+ more than pays for my Golf but it'd cost another £200 a month for the long range version.

Soldato
2019.36.2.1 ea332ad update downloading for me.

If you hold down the advanced button on the software screen, it will force the car to check for an update.

Just did it and mine is happily downloading now.

Soldato
Just this morning for example I dropped my son off at nursery and waded my car through what was probably 20cm water to get there, with a Tesla I'd have had to turn around and do a mile and a half detour, but that's true of any 'normal' car really.

Perhaps I'm not ready to go fully electric yet.

The specs will never declare this as they don't want people taking stupid risks but the wading depth for EVs has much more potential than any combustion car. All the drivetrain is sealed and it doesn't require air/oxygen! If the water was high enough it would eventually float or cause other issues when it reaches sensitive electricals/fuses. I would put money on 20cm being fine. I think an I-Pace can do 50cm or so (from memory - might be wrong!)

Soldato
What were you driving before to make a performance model break even??

My SR+ more than pays for my Golf but it'd cost another £200 a month for the long range version.

I should have changed my order to the Performance when I saw it for £430 a month :(.

I'm paying £311 (from April) for an SR Plus including tyres, maintenance, tyres and breakdown. 10,000 miles.

I was paying around £560 a month for my Octavia vRS when including fuel at £200 a month.

Nice saving.

Soldato
I picked mine up today. Seems ok, a bit noisy on the motorway and I have nowhere to charge it which is a bit annoying. A charger goes in at work on Thursday so I should be OK until I get one installed at home (it's been a mess around as there is a bit of groundworks needed)

Soldato
Think I worked it out as ~4ppm with the M3.

You are working on an average cost at 15-20ppkWh then? Massive saving on your current fuel bill, if that was our Merc with the same mileage we do now we'd be saving £2,700 per year or more.

I'm just going through the several gazillion Electricity companies and tariffs to get the best deal for charging mainly at home, it's a minefield so much competition now.

Soldato
Edinburgh is pushing out 15-20 cars a day currently - that's 150 odd cars a week. That's just one place alone.

For that many a day I've seens very few around the town.

What's the depreciation like on the Teslas? Too early for the model 3 but what about the others?

Soldato
For that many a day I've seens very few around the town.

What's the depreciation like on the Teslas? Too early for the model 3 but what about the others?

The fuel saving saved me from the depreciation.

The Model S has depreciated heavily, the problem here is that they may be undervalued as the reason cars currently depreciate is due to increased repairs as time goes on. In theory the cost to repair should stay relatively stable for many thousands of miles so why would they depreciate heavily. The only thing that would cause them to depreciate heavily is new technology coming.

Back
Top Bottom