Windows 10

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No.

Google Chrome is the fastest, most stable, most responsive and overall the best internet browser currently available.

I use both Firefox and Chrome and typically Firefox feels faster because of the way everything is laid out in the UX and how v70 renders pages now compared to before. Bookmarks management in Firefox is also superior. You STILL cannot add a separator in Chrome to pad out bookmarks in any given folder. You have to use a blank bookmark with a name like "---" to pad bookmarks out for any sort of organisation structure.

Anyway I did a Basemark test and got the following:

Firefox
basemark_Firefox70.jpg

Chrome
basemark_Chrome78.jpg

So yes, whilst Chrome is compatible with more web standards, Firefox 70 is faster to render content and is more responsive as a browser.

Has it been 4 yrs since W10 came up on us! Time does fly.
Anyway 5 yrs or so ago I came on OCuk and was pointed in the right direction for a new build (Spec in sig) and also purchased a OEM W7 disk to go with it. I like W7 but time is now running out.
Not long back I purchased a W10 key here on MM so my question is should I now convert to 10 with the setup I have - I am willing to buy a new SSD to put it on. I do have a laptop with W10 on but just can't stand it due to slide finger mouse bit - Using a mouse was better.
Is it just a case of getting used to it or is W10 really that much better.

Thanks

A touchpad? A staple feature on every laptop in existence surely this is nothing new to you :p

Anyway, yes Win10 is a marked step up from 7. More features and if you use the start button right click as well as utilised pinned taskbar items, it is just as power user friendly, if not more (Task Manager is superior as an example giving you more info). It's also a faster OS in general given the hardware optimisations and support put in place by MS.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use both Firefox and Chrome and typically Firefox feels faster because of the way everything is laid out in the UX and how v70 renders pages now compared to before. Bookmarks management in Firefox is also superior. You STILL cannot add a separator in Chrome to pad out bookmarks in any given folder. You have to use a blank bookmark with a name like "---" to pad bookmarks out for any sort of organisation structure.

Anyway I did a Basemark test and got the following:

Firefox
basemark_Firefox70.jpg

Chrome
basemark_Chrome78.jpg

So yes, whilst Chrome is compatible with more web standards, Firefox 70 is faster to render content and is more responsive as a browser.

A touchpad? A staple feature on every laptop in existence surely this is nothing new to you :p

Anyway, yes Win10 is a marked step up from 7. More features and if you use the start button right click as well as utilised pinned taskbar items, it is just as power user friendly, if not more (Task Manager is superior as an example giving you more info). It's also a faster OS in general given the hardware optimisations and support put in place by MS.
Lol the score is almost double on chrome!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No, double would be 1741, 1253 is nowhere near "almost double"!

The score is based on the CSS and HTML5 standards capabilities. It's worth noting that very few websites out there employ the full scope of what they have to offer so any limitations are unlikely to be seen by you or I, or in fact most other people on the web.

What will be noticed however is browser performance when loading pages and how fast it responds... Which is where Firefox is pretty much 100%

Soldato

Anyway, yes Win10 is a marked step up from 7. More features and if you use the start button right click as well as utilised pinned taskbar items, it is just as power user friendly, if not more (Task Manager is superior as an example giving you more info). It's also a faster OS in general given the hardware optimisations and support put in place by MS.[/QUOTE]

I just couldn't think of the word touchpad - it is rubbish on laptop but my new smart phone it's great.

Thanks for the reply - I will now seriously sit down and see if I can persuade myself to update. - I am a old dog so trying to teach myself new tricks is hard going. :rolleyes:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There are good and bad touchpads I guess, the Dell Inspiron and lower end laptops have terrible touchpads which have visible latency but something a little better specced has a really responsive touchpad.

If the key you bought allows an upgrade, then you can seamlessly do that and keep all your data in the process. If your Win7 is bogged down with crap over the years though then best to start fresh.

Man of Honour
On the plus side applying the updates so far has been quick - on the down side modal dialogue popping up over me actually doing stuff prompting something like "Important updates ready for you" with restart, not now, OK options :(

I honestly don't get how MS developers can either be so out of touch with this stuff or OK with it behaving like that.

Soldato
Well windows ***** 10 update has broke my HDR in UHD :mad:
When I pick UHD in Nvidia the screen is UHD YCbcr 422 \ 8pbc and Limited Output colour depth.

I used to be able to pick 12 bpc and Full Colour depth. To give me HDR in RDR2 game.

I thought it was Nvidia drivers..but no it's crappy beta windows 10

Caporegime
Why does Windows 10 keep updating apps like Phone, Alarms, People, Sticky Notes every few days when I check for updates to make sure my Game Pass games are the most recent. There's 15 of them in the queue now. Takes little time to update them but why does it do it so frequently? They can't be bug fixing this often surely.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
May I suggest you take that nvidia card out of your pc, open your window and fling it outside and get yourself an 5700 XT. Lol :p

Then if you want an extra boost to your mental health and wellbeing, grab a sledge hammer and take one good swing at that card.

I am telling ya Loadsa, the end result:

Bank account = -
Mental health = +++

:p:D

On a serious note, surely there is a way of stopping that? I never had that issue? Will be getting a 3070 on launch and don't want to be dealing with that if it is a new thing..

Caporegime
May I suggest you take that nvidia card out of your pc, open your window and fling it outside and get yourself an 5700 XT. Lol :p

Then if you want an extra boost to your mental health and wellbeing, grab a sledge hammer and take one good swing at that card.

I am telling ya Loadsa, the end result:

Bank account = -
Mental health = +++

:p:D

On a serious note, surely there is a way of stopping that? I never had that issue? Will be getting a 3070 on launch and don't want to be dealing with that if it is a new thing..

Its tempting! :D

Only way to stop it by the looks of it, is to pop a later than 432 driver on, as in that thread, umpteen things have been tried to stop it, so they can stay on their earlier drivers, but nothings worked.

Has anyone else got weird fluctuations on Ethernet, when going into the Task Manager ?

Mines going 8kbps,16kbps, sometimes up to 40kbps, and even 64kbps constantly

Found what was doing this, that CfosSpeed, so killed it. :p

Never had it installed before, so done a google to find out what it is, so is it really needed ?

Since i killed it, everything seems just the same :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Found what was doing this, that CfosSpeed, so killed it. :p

Never had it installed before, so done a google to find out what it is, so is it really needed ?

Since i killed it, everything seems just the same :D
Did you install ethernet drivers? If so, then it could be part of the drivers - Google seems to indicate traffic shaping, so perhaps software to prioritise gaming traffic?

Caporegime
Did you install ethernet drivers? If so, then it could be part of the drivers - Google seems to indicate traffic shaping, so perhaps software to prioritise gaming traffic?

Its a pre-built this one (as i couldn't be arsed to build my own this time :p), it comes with my board the CfosSpeed utility, and yeah, its traffic shaping, supposed to give maximum speed, while ensuring minimal ping, but since ive killed it, ive not noticed any difference, apart from it no longer constantly sending/receiving, and i don't play online games, so i can't see the need for it.:D

Soldato
Has a recent update borked Windows?

My desktop the other day woke up middle of night from sleep blank screen and constantly when restarted was blank screen on desktop and restarting explorer.exe wouldn't fix it. Anyway that seems to have corrected itself BUT it takes ages to restart or shut down.

Now my laptop was stuck in aeroplane mode and takes ages to restart ??

The ethernet adaptor in device manager just says windows is still configuring class config or something

Ok, uninstalled latest quality update and I have wifi back BUT restarting is taking AGES!

Both my PC and laptop don't do anything for about 2 minutes after I've pressed the shut down button too

Last edited:
Caporegime
Has a recent update borked Windows?

My desktop the other day woke up middle of night from sleep blank screen and constantly when restarted was blank screen on desktop and restarting explorer.exe wouldn't fix it. Anyway that seems to have corrected itself BUT it takes ages to restart or shut down.

Now my laptop was stuck in aeroplane mode and takes ages to restart ??

The ethernet adaptor in device manager just says windows is still configuring class config or something

Ok, uninstalled latest quality update and I have wifi back BUT restarting is taking AGES!

Both my PC and laptop don't do anything for about 2 minutes after I've pressed the shut down button too

Im not having any issues, last updates i got, were the 1909, couple of Realtek ones (as using the onboard sound), and those 432 Nv drivers that we're forced, which ive since updated to the latest.

Back
Top Bottom