Ordered - Any mistakes? £1,800 gone.

Associate
OP
Looks pretty good to me.
Sweet :)
Yeah got the RAM last week for £5 less. Can potentiall Overclock to 4000MHz.
The case, ive had a nightmare with. It needed to be aesthetically pleasing to be in keeping with the house and needed to be good airflow. (also ChugNorris knocked £15 off for me)
PSU was the only impulse buy. could have got a corsair 750w for £40 cheaper but it's a quality PSU and Titanium rather than gold. (Meant to be over £210 so a massive saving - and wont upgrade again for years).

Buy her some chocolates.

Good idea, might throw in a back rub for good measures.

Soldato
Personally I am unsure why anyone needs a 360mm AIO to cool a 3700X, it's not like you can overclock them much, and they don't run particularly hot at the worst of times anyhow.

As tammzy said, 1TB+ SSD would have been a good shout, especially as they are ~£90-110.

Oh yeah, the PSU. You can guarantee that in 7 years time or whenever, you decide to upgrade the first thing someone will ask will be how old is your PSU, and then the'll draw in air through their teeth, just like a mechanic would and say, "best replace it just to be safe". The corsair PSU is a much, much better buy, and the efficiency rating is utterly pointless unless you are leaving them on 24/7 for years on end, you'll save 50p in electricity per year if you are lucky.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys.

Delivery is coming Monday. Will probably do as suggested.

Send the Seasonic PSU and the WD BLACK 500GB SSD back. Order the Corsair PSU and a 1TB SSD. The PSU "downgrade" will cover the costs for the larger SSD.

Associate
OP
Any suggestions on the 1TB SSD?

(Usually the recommended is the Sabrent Rocket @110 but they're now £150...)

Was looking at the Corsair MP510 960GB @£105.

Associate
Get differing opinions on this, but I've gone ahead and ordered the Intel 660p 1TB for £90. Benchmarks say one thing, but actual users seem to love it.

A serious WTF at that 110 to 150 jump. Did that just happen this morning???

Man of Honour
I've gone ahead and ordered the Intel 660p 1TB for £90.
the 660p is decent, but as i've said in your own thread, it's based on QLC nand, which has a shorter lifespan compared to TLC nand.
sure in most use cases, one will never hit the lifetime write cycles...but...seeing as the jump from TLC nand to QLC nand was supposed to give cheaper SSDs based on lower quality nand - to the tune of ~20%
the actual price difference do not reflect this and the price differential is actually minimal at best
so i see no point getting inferior technoiogy

Man of Honour
Good points. I'll get a Corsair for £105 if I go for a second nvme for the new build.
to be honest, i highly recommend you to cancel your 660p order and get a nvme with tlc nand instead. especially if you're going to do video editing with lots of writes

Associate
I think that order is already out and I should receive tomorrow morning. I'll call them up and ask if I can return/exchange or something.

Seems people are waiting till Friday for prices to drop. Not sure if that'll make any difference to the cpus I'm choosing from, but perhaps the Pro Carbon or some 1TB nvme's will come down in price...

Waiting is hard!

Back
Top Bottom