• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why are GPUs so expensive?

Caporegime
I do not think we should use car comparisons personally.

For me I do not play online or any twitch games that massively need more than 60fps so 4K is very doable for me. The Titan XP I had was perfect, but once I was done playing all the demanding games I sold it. With a 3070 I think I will be set for a long time.

Plus many new games have a in game resolution slider so I can lower resolution a little or all the way down to 1440p if needed. Recently played The Outer Worlds with my Vega 56 (overclocked) and it managed fine :D

But yeah, big difference from 1080p to 2160p my man, for my eyes anyways ;)

I have better than 20/20 vision so there is nothing wrong with my eyes either. the difference isn't as big as what people make it out to be. i even have a 4k screen on my phone can't really tell the difference on that either.

on my 4k tv which is 55 inches it's a lot easier to tell the difference. on a monitor you only ever focus on like 10% of the screen anyway. yes there is a difference but IMO for pc gaming it isn't worth it.

however I always use 4K content if I can on the tv.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have better than 20/20 vision so there is nothing wrong with my eyes either. the difference isn't as big as what people make it out to be. i even have a 4k screen on my phone can't really tell the difference on that either.

on my 4k tv which is 55 inches it's a lot easier to tell the difference. on a monitor you only ever focus on like 10% of the screen anyway. yes there is a difference but IMO for pc gaming it isn't worth it.

Could be the way the cones work or something like that because I see a big enough difference that it puts me off. Otherwise I would be on 1080p and save the money.

Permabanned
Could be the way the cones work or something like that because I see a big enough difference that it puts me off. Otherwise I would be on 1080p and save the money.

It causes eye fatigue too straining to see into jungle foilage at people shooting is a pain. And the annoying visual flickering too from alliasing is another where i find 4k mandatory.

Soldato
While people are talking about monitors.

I've always thought that triple monitors was best for gaming. So on a Battlefield type game, the centre screen is the main screen where your aiming, but the 2 monitors on the side are giving peripheral vision. I would honestly prefer 3 x 20" wide screens, then say a single 28" wide for instance.

Soldato
I believe the most I’ve paid for a GPU is £300. It’s hard to justify anything more than that to play games.

I paid £500 for a 1080 2 years ago and its not getting replaced for a good while yet. It pained me to spend that much as i'd only gone up to about £300 before but i wanted something that would hopefully last a bit longer. To be honest its doing fine still so hopefully i can get another couple of years out of it at least. When i see prices of up to £1300 i properly wince... However, if people are prepared to spend that then there isn't much we can do i guess? Its their money after all. I guess they could also just be doing the same as me? I.e. they are spending £1300 on a GPU but will use it for the next 5-10 years. :confused:

Soldato
OP
Looking back, I bought an ''EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING'' for £710 second hand almost 2 years ago.
Id have never have dreamed of paying that much for a GPU, but 2 years of use, 500 days still left on the warranty and it looks like they still sell for around £600 second hand. Suppose if you are careful they are sort of worth it

Associate
yeah but it took 6yrs and that only works as a solution if the 5700 has enough grunt for your needs, where the problems really start is the higher tier particularly at 4k.

I enjoyed my R9 290 for each and every year of that 6. It was faster than my GTX 1060 (one fan can't oc). It would have lasted longer but it is blocked and i went back air. Sitting in the closet still with the block on. The 5700 is twice as fast and uses almost same power as the GTX 1060.

Got two Ryzen rigs, so i needed two cards that will suite my needs at an affordable price. Got me another navi.

Permabanned
Stop Upgradeing every year or two & stop pandering to their high prices and they will soon drop their prices or go bankrupt. Simples.

Let's imagine that all gamers begin to upgrade every year. Will the TSMC factories have enough manufacturing capacity to satisfy that gigantic demand? Nope, of course.
What happens is that those people who buy every year negatively influence the availability of products for all the others, especially the people whose upgrade cycles are 4 years and more.

The factories will begin to complain that there is not enough demand, and begin to release products not every year (like graphics cards) but once in 7 years (like PlayStation 4 in November 2013 and PlayStation 5 in Q4 2020).

We are screwed anyways.

Soldato
Can't remember who made this but it explains everything:

x145Ixn.png

Soldato
As a 2080ti owner, I'm one of the idiots paying the high prices. Doesn't change the fact that a little bit of wee comes out every time I boot up a game, turn everything up and get frame rates of 100+ (mostly!). Life's too short to worry about what your hobby costs you :D

Soldato
Back in the 90s, people played Doom with a thick black border around the screen because graphics cards of the time couldn't handle full screen.

Games came with settings nobody could use with hardware at the time.

Even today, games come with settings and resolutions I can only dream of. Nothing has changed.

We just had a blip 10 years ago when graphics cards got really cheap. Now the prices are back to where they used to be.

Soldato

I guess it depends on a lot of factors. Eyesight, viewing distance etc.

Even now 4k to me is a big step up in terms of visual improvement. I went from 1080p to 4k many years ago and was astounded by the difference and that was just with a £400 TN 28” 4k panel. I even used 4k dsr at the time and was still blown away.

I find my 55” 4k tv looks very very good. But close up it doesn’t look anywhere near as crystal clear as that 4k monitor did. I miss it to be honest.

Permabanned
Most people sit too far away from a 4K TV and even a 1080p TV as they grew up sitting across the room from a 22-32" SD CRT and a mobile phone is too small to benefit from 4k (it is pure marketing bigger numbers is better).

My phone is 1440p, make my old 1080p phone look big and blocky but I would not want to go 4k but it does record in 4k obv to output to a bigger screen it would be nice).

Soldato
Back in the 90s, people played Doom with a thick black border around the screen because graphics cards of the time couldn't handle full screen.

Games came with settings nobody could use with hardware at the time.

Even today, games come with settings and resolutions I can only dream of. Nothing has changed.

We just had a blip 10 years ago when graphics cards got really cheap. Now the prices are back to where they used to be.

I'd say GPUs are over-specced these days. Hardly anyone is playing at resolutions over 1440 and even mid range stuff is good enough to run most things on high settings.

Back
Top Bottom