Bending question

Man of Honour
I have the XSPC bending kit which has all the tools you will need apart from a heat gun which I already had anyway. After watching a couple of random videos on youtube I had a bash at my own. Messed up the first bend but took my time after that and got the others bang on. I tend to make the pipe a little longer than needed and then trim to size after bending. You waste a bit of extra pipe but it's better than doing it too short. Use lots of soapy water on the silicon bending insert so you can pull it out after bending. Since then I have picked up a Barrow mandrel set and hardline pro measuring kit from our MM so my next effort can be a little more complex if needed.

Soldato
I have the XSPC bending kit which has all the tools you will need apart from a heat gun which I already had anyway. After watching a couple of random videos on youtube I had a bash at my own. Messed up the first bend but took my time after that and got the others bang on. I tend to make the pipe a little longer than needed and then trim to size after bending. You waste a bit of extra pipe but it's better than doing it too short. Use lots of soapy water on the silicon bending insert so you can pull it out after bending. Since then I have picked up a Barrow mandrel set and hardline pro measuring kit from our MM so my next effort can be a little more complex if needed.

I think personally the mandrel kits are so cheap it’s a no brainer, particularly for a novice.

main watch out to add also is that the inserts are often sold advertised incorrectly with metric/imperial conversion so make sure it fits snug in the tube.

Soldato
Hi guys

First time bending tubing.

What's a good method to measure tubing with 90 degree bends In?

Any good guides, or how have you guys done it?

Thanks

I used to either mark the silicone and insert it to the tube then bend on the line. Or I used to mark the tube itself with a pencil and then clean it off after bending.

Best way is to ensure you leave enough so you can cut it perfectly to length after bending. And use the above methods if you plan to make multiple bends in the same tube. All trial and error and learning how it bends and such.

The mandrel kits will help greatly with bending to the angles you require.

Also don’t use a hacksaw. Get the kid shown above by pasty. Much easier to cut and flat and square each time.

Soldato
Can you buy pre bent tubing?

I'm currently making my first water cooled system. I've ordered all the hardware, just need to sort out the water-cooling parts I need now. I had no idea you had to bend the tubing yourself!

Man of Honour
Mayhems Pastel, X1, Ultra Pure H2o and Aurora are safe to use with just about any tubing, be it soft or hardline. I have been using X1 red for a couple of years with PETG hardline and the tubing is as clear now as it was the day I installed it. If you click on the product page for any of Mayhems fluids and click on the second picture to blow it up you will see a chart that lists which of Mayhems fluids can be used with different tubing/hardline. For example see here.

Soldato
Mayhems Pastel, X1, Ultra Pure H2o and Aurora are safe to use with just about any tubing, be it soft or hardline. I have been using X1 red for a couple of years with PETG hardline and the tubing is as clear now as it was the day I installed it. If you click on the product page for any of Mayhems fluids and click on the second picture to blow it up you will see a chart that lists which of Mayhems fluids can be used with different tubing/hardline. For example see here.
Thats a good bit of info that, thanks! I’ll be going with XSPC PETG, any issues with this particular brand of tubing? I know with soft tubing it can discolour over time dependant on fluid used.

Soldato
@Jay85 it's worth pinging Mayhems a shout just to be safe. I know they've launched a new product that explicitly states PETG safe, thereby suggesting that certain coolants of theirs weren't previously.
I’ll give them a shout, don’t they have a rep here as well? Really dont wanna get my bends right only for them to go **** up with the fluid being incompatible... haha

Back
Top Bottom