SuperHub 3 router / modem mode?

Soldato
Has anyone on 350/500Mbps changed from running the SH3 in modem mode back to running the SH3 as a router , is it bearable or does it feel like a downgrade with issues?

Last edited:
Soldato
What's a 'fixed network'? Are you talking about Ethernet?

If you have devices that can use Ethernet then going to a wireless connection is always going to be a downgrade. How much of a downgrade will depend on both the equipment and the use case.

If you were using their hub in modem mode you must have had a router plugged in. The choice of that router will have an impact on any comparisons.

Knowing why you'd want to do this in the first place would also help you get more informed answers.

Soldato
Sorry you don't understand the question , i'm not after opinions , only the experience from SH3 users who understand what a fixed hard-wired Cat network is (in modem mode) that have swapped over to Wi-Fi only on the SH3.

You've missed the point, bremen1874 wasn't questioning you because he doesn't understand the question or terminology, he was asking because it's painfully obvious that you don't understand what you're asking from the way you structured the question and your subsequent reply.

Associate
I'm staying in Modem mode until they release the SH4 in a few months as some people say the superhub jitter has been fixed but others say it's still the same with random drop outs resulting in a power cycle to get back online.

Your question would be better suited to the VirginMedia forum so it stays on topic. ;)

Soldato
OP
BAH! :(

I'm fedup with all the extra clutter running in Modem mode , looks like it's best if i wait for the new superhub , thanks.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Associate
At the root of all this is the fact that the somewhat weak CPU (processor) inside the modem component of Virgin’s router (Puma 6) was taking on too much work while processing network packets

Recently some Virgin Media customers have also claimed that the fix may be negatively impacting their WiFi performance (perhaps not too surprising given how the load has been switched around inside), but as we’ve said before there’s a limit to what the ISP or Intel can do about all this (underpowered hardware) and others report no such issues.

Yeah , spoffle is spot on as no amount of firmware tweaking is going to completely fix it , None of the superhubs have been of a very high spec so lets hope they get it right for the new Docsis3.1 SH4 or none of us will get good gigabit speeds.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The super hub 4.0 is apparently using the Arris modems.... Arris modems were in the hub 3.0.

Some details here:

"On the whole this is an improvement over the Hub 3 but we’re disappointed to see no USB ports on the back. We should point out that the Puma 7 chipset was also affected by that aforementioned latency bug from 2-3 years ago but it’s extra performance made this easier to resolve (in theory this shouldn’t be a problem any more for the Hub 4"

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-future-hub-4-gigabit-connect-box-router.html

Permabanned
I am sure the HUB 4 has been talked about in another thread, it has 1Gb/s Ports so cannot do 1Gb/s over Ethernet but possibly can on WIFI AC (it has no WIFI 6/AX), they get away with the 1Gb/s + 10% Extra Contention on top claim due to the fact the build in Samknows App will show VM can deliver 1Gb/s to the HUB4 from the Coax just not to your PC.

1Gb/s NIC about 950MB/s max (guesstimate ) so 1Gb/s+10% you are loosing out on I guess 200-300Mb/s due to the LAN ports limitation.

I believe she touches on these points in her video.

Annotation-2019-12-26-101341.jpg

Soldato
I am sure the HUB 4 has been talked about in another thread, it has 1Gb/s Ports so cannot do 1Gb/s over Ethernet but possibly can on WIFI AC (it has no WIFI 6/AX), they get away with the 1Gb/s + 10% Extra Contention on top claim due to the fact the build in Samknows App will show VM can deliver 1Gb/s to the HUB4 from the Coax just not to your PC.

1Gb/s NIC about 950MB/s max (guesstimate ) so 1Gb/s+10% you are loosing out on I guess 200-300Mb/s due to the LAN ports limitation.

I believe she touches on these points in her video.

Even if VM put 2.5Gb or faster LAN ports on the router, the number of consumer devices that actually support the standard is tiny at this stage and the consumer hardware pricing to do so is disproportionately high. As long as they deliver greater than 1Gbit to the hub, they can claim to be the fastest gigabit connection provider, as it’s the connection to the hub that you pay for, it’s just going to take multiple clients to max it out for the user.

Back
Top Bottom