Advice on co-worker taking drugs at work

Soldato
i think that's kind of the point, this wasn't just before hand, it was during shift. And you can do what you like in your home as long as it's out of your system before you get behind the wheel of a car or are put in a position of responsibility.

But how do you prove that? For the amount of time I've smoked and the amount I smoke it would show up in my system even if I didn't smoke for a week or two, even longer if they did a hair test. Am I not supposed to drive or work for that length of time?

Soldato
The railways would sack you on the spot if they found drugs in your system, and rightly so. I'd expect no different from a company like this.
Even if you have nothing still in your system, simply knowing that you're into drugs sets a really bad example for the kids.
Absolute nonsense. The fact I smoke is no worse than the fact I'm sure most of you enjoy an alcoholic drink in the evenings. Don't bat an eyelid if someone wants a glass of wine but if someone wants to smoke a joint they get demonised.

It's not reefer madness. The double standards and absurd view people have on drugs whilst giving alcohol, which is worse especially when compared to cannabis, a pass is mind blowing.

Associate
Drinking a glass of wine in the evenings is not illegal.
Smoking a joint in the evenings is illegal.

This is not a thread to debate your views on the legality of smoking cannabis or how it compares to alcohol

The guy is in a position of responsibility for the security and care of minors.
If he turned up stinking of beer and whiskey it would also be gross miss conduct and grounds for instant dismissal.

Soldato
Nah, not since Uni, about 25 years ago. :) All depends how much it affects his work imo.

lol, tbh, I've nothing against it if you're at home. For me, as long as it can have a negative effect on anyone else then there are issues. So driving, working etc.

But how do you prove that? For the amount of time I've smoked and the amount I smoke it would show up in my system even if I didn't smoke for a week or two, even longer if they did a hair test. Am I not supposed to drive or work for that length of time?

I believe it's to do with certain chemicals in the blood still being there within X hours after smoking if I remember correctly. You can have signs you've smoked for days but the part that affects cognitive abilities has a shorter life span. It's no different than drinking and driving. I think it's 12 hours after your last drink before you are really considered safe to drive. It's been a while since I saw the documentary on it.

I've been out with people drinking, then we've rolled into work 12 hours later all fine, I used to work with a lad who would light a joint as we left work and he'd walk with me until we got to my car and he'd walk home. No issues with that.

I've had someone turn up to work still hammered and he admitted it, I sent him home and he was sacked 2 days later. That's from a company that provides a beer on a friday afternoon too :D

Associate
Report it as a Safeguarding concern to the local area Safeguarding children board. Let them know it was reported to the employer but they didn't take appropriate action.
The LSCB won't ignore it.

Soldato
Drinking a glass of wine in the evenings is not illegal.
Smoking a joint in the evenings is illegal.

This is not a thread to debate your views on the legality of smoking cannabis or how it compares to alcohol

The guy is in a position of responsibility for the security and care of minors.
If he turned up stinking of beer and whiskey it would also be gross miss conduct and grounds for instant dismissal.

Technically smoking it isn't illegal. Possession is. Regardless, literately drinking a poison doesn't make you any more sensible than someone who smokes.

Anyway, I agree with you. Anyone turning up to work intoxicated with anything may as well pack up their belongings

Soldato

That's your choice to take a drug which stays in your system for that long, no one is forcing you (I assume? Blink twice if you need help!).

I realise the effects don't last that long, but you do need to be aware of the risk that if you do happen to get tested, then it may be an issue.

I have the same problem with people taking drugs as I do alcohol, I.e. None as long as they aren't under the influence whilst in a position of responsibility.

Ultimately it comes down to being sensible, not taking the ****, and not whinging about the consequences when/if you fail a breathalyser or drugs test.

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe it's to do with certain chemicals in the blood still being there within X hours after smoking if I remember correctly. You can have signs you've smoked for days but the part that affects cognitive abilities has a shorter life span. It's no different than drinking and driving. I think it's 12 hours after your last drink before you are really considered safe to drive. It's been a while since I saw the documentary on it.

I've been out with people drinking, then we've rolled into work 12 hours later all fine, I used to work with a lad who would light a joint as we left work and he'd walk with me until we got to my car and he'd walk home. No issues with that.

I've had someone turn up to work still hammered and he admitted it, I sent him home and he was sacked 2 days later. That's from a company that provides a beer on a friday afternoon too :D

Yeah I believe it is something like 12 hours, for alcohol at least. Though I'm an exceptional lightweight so a few drinks often wipe me out for longer than 12 hours!

Funnily enough the reason I have my job now is because my predecessor was quite a fan of alcohol and came into work quite clearly steaming and got the sack. Then i got a new job! So I should thank those rules :p

That's your choice to take a drug which stays in your system for that long, no one is forcing you (I assume? Blink twice if you need help!).

I realise the effects don't last that long, but you do need to be aware of the risk that if you do happen to get tested, then it may be an issue.

I have the same problem with people taking drugs as I do alcohol, I.e. None as long as they aren't under the influence whilst in a position of responsibility.

Ultimately it comes down to being sensible, not taking the ****, and not whinging about the consequences when/if you fail a breathalyser or drugs test.

Yeah I'm not silly enough to turn up to work after having a smoke. Well, not any more. I used to when I was a student and working in retail but I didn't really care about that job but if they did I would've knew it was my own doing.

I had some friends die in a car crash due to drink driving when I was 16 so I never drive even if having a drink with a meal. Just not worth the risk. To be honest, that crash and losing 3 friends was pretty much what put me off of drinking. I've only recently been able to have a glass of wine mostly as my partner was nagging me about never sharing a drink

Soldato
Absolute nonsense. The fact I smoke is no worse than the fact I'm sure most of you enjoy an alcoholic drink in the evenings. Don't bat an eyelid if someone wants a glass of wine but if someone wants to smoke a joint they get demonised.
That is how people see it, though, so until it gets fully legalised you're stuffed.
They don't want a filthy ******* junkie looking after their kids any more than they'd want them driving a train or managing our nation's atomic weapons... which is why they will sack you on the spot if they find any drugs in your system.
Moreover, the individual in the OP is clearly affected by their drug use and their work is suffering. They should be booted out, no question about it.

Soldato
OP
I assumed live-in akin to those who work at a family home not an actual care home, sorry.

Yeah, I've known a lot who have done this sort of work and it's been fairly brutal in terms of par/reward, which is sad really. Probably earn more working as an HCA in a hospital and more-or-less choose when she wants to work too!
The benefit of her job for us is that she does 38 hours in 2 days, (14 hour shift, paid 10 hour sleep, followed by another 14 hour shift) It isn't full on all the time currently either, the kids have to go to school during the day and as I said above they are older, there is another house she was placed at for a while and they have younger children, 1 of whom has at least 3/4 physical interventions a week, so that house is a lot more full on.
I have gone fully self employed so I can work my hours around her (we have 2 young children)

with regards to my OP, the only worry for my partner is that its a very female dominated environment and they can all turn on each other very quickly, one of the seniors is largely disliked by everyone because of her attitude, at the start of my partner's placement there she got on with this particular senior, then one small thing happened and now she makes my partner's life uncomfortable whilst on shift.
When the manager that was sacked was under investigation, everyone was backstabbing and covering thair own backsides, her worry is that if she goes above her manager it will make her "bad guy", she is currently quiet good friends with the manager and they get on, so she enjoys working there, but if everyone ended up being like the senior she would be miserable, so I think she is reluctant to go higher so as not to upset the apple cart too much.

Soldato
Anyway, I agree with you. Anyone turning up to work intoxicated with anything may as well pack up their belongings

People routinely turn up to work intoxicated, and even pop outside for regular top ups throughout the working day.

Its called tobacco, and if you think this isn't intoxication, just look at what happens to a typical smoker if they are denied their fix for a day or two (Or even a couple of houes)

(Same of course also applies to coffee)

So, one is making a sort of value judgement here in that some sorts of intoxication are OK and others are not...;) :p

Associate
Its called tobacco, and if you think this isn't intoxication, just look at what happens to a typical smoker if they are denied their fix for a day or two (Or even a couple of houes)

That's not intoxication though, because smoking doesn't affect their ability to function properly.

Soldato
People routinely turn up to work intoxicated, and even pop outside for regular top ups throughout the working day.

(Same of course also applies to coffee)

So, one is making a sort of value judgement here in that some sorts of intoxication are OK and others are not...;) :p

You leave my coffee alone! I shall not have a bad word said about that tasty brown nectar :p

Associate
If they're smoking and then driving within 24 hours they will fail a roadside test, so just report it to the local police and let them pick the person up for driving under the influence

Soldato
Goes to show how desperate the care sector is for staff when companies choose to turn a blind eye to this kind of thing.

(I'm not anti-cannabis either, just anti-turning-up-stoned-to-do-a-responsible-job-of-work-where-people-depend-on-you.)

Associate
How sure are you about that?

Clearly has never seen anyone going through nicotine withdrawal. Not a pretty sight.

My point is that smoking a cigarette isn't intoxicating, because that act itself doesn't affect the smoker's ability to function.

Regarding the withdrawal, I'm an ex-smoker and I've known plenty of other people who've given up. I've never seen or experienced any symptoms of withdrawal that I would describe as intoxication - at worst it turns people into miserable ***** and while that might make it harder to focus on things occasionally, it's hardly the same as being drunk or stoned.

Soldato
My point is that smoking a cigarette isn't intoxicating, because that act itself doesn't affect the smoker's ability to function.

Regarding the withdrawal, I'm an ex-smoker and I've known plenty of other people who've given up. I've never seen or experienced any symptoms of withdrawal that I would describe as intoxication - at worst it turns people into miserable ***** and while that might make it harder to focus on things occasionally, it's hardly the same as being drunk or stoned.

Yes it does. And as with alcohol and other drugs, the more you do it the less it impacts your functionality. I've had cigarettes occasionally that have made me shaky and made it hard to concentrate. Same with caffeine.

Back
Top Bottom