Mountain Biking

Caporegime
Thanks man. What is the gorilla tape for? I was under the impression if the rims were tubeless ready, they were just ready to go?

Some tr rims will come with tape applied, most don't. The tape application is to cover the holes used to affix/tighten spokes etc. Without this covered it'll forever lose air.

Associate
Some tr rims will come with tape applied, most don't. The tape application is to cover the holes used to affix/tighten spokes etc. Without this covered it'll forever lose air.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation! So regular gorilla gaffa type tape works ok?

Also something I was wondering, how do you deal with punctures, I saw a GMBN video where they were carrying a 'plug' type thing

Soldato
Yes but it's an absolute ball ache to remove properly if you need to. I'd recommend you get proper tubeless tape or the VESA tape mentioned previously (same stuff at half the price roughly).

Caporegime
Yes but it's an absolute ball ache to remove properly if you need to. I'd recommend you get proper tubeless tape or the VESA tape mentioned previously (same stuff at half the price roughly).

It's a piece of cake to remove. You get the end and pull it. Or at least personally I've never had an issue.

Though currently got whatever came with my rims, and it's working fine. But also my hardtail have had the same gorilla tape for at least 3 years now.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation! So regular gorilla gaffa type tape works ok?

Also something I was wondering, how do you deal with punctures, I saw a GMBN video where they were carrying a 'plug' type thing

It should deal with most punctures on its own. Deep gashes, either use a plug or put a tube in and fix the tyre after the ride.

Associate
Probably go back to high roller on the front dhr2 on the rear.

why not run a minion on the front as well as rear, much better than a high roller. i've got a 2.5 DHF on the front at the moment and its good.
going to try a michelin wild enduro on the front next as i'm using one at the rear now, its easily as good as the DHR2, much harder wearing and cheaper

Soldato
Always got on well with them in the past.
The size of tyres for 26" seems to have taken a nose dive. Basically seems like 2.35 or nothing for a lot of tyres.

Soldato
Got a family pass for Chicksands Bike Park for the year, me my two sons and my brother ..... great fun for a year ..... can’t wait to get up there again!!!!
Went up to CS with my sons on Saturday lunchtime, it was packed, carpark was full had to wait for a parking spot, some tracks were muddy (deep puddles) others not so bad, good to get up there though!

Associate
Had to do a bit of a bodge last night to ride the 5 miles back to the van. Drivering in the hub started spinning so had to tie the cassette to the spokes with some wire we found on a bit of old fencing. Was an interesting ride back making sure i didn't stop pedaling. Luckily there was a flatish road option to get back on.
Been planning for a while to get a new wheelset so this has just rushed it on a bit. Going to order some Sixth Element carbon rims on I9 hubs

Soldato
Got hold of a 1994 Kona Fire Mountain for this years races

jQx2XL2.jpg

Found some reissue Smoke/Dart tyres! best tyres ever!

4KgIvyb.jpg

zaDnNQ5.jpg

got to have a Crud Catcher!

zLnUx8p.jpg

Dave's Chain Device off my old Bear Valley SE

hFnutyj.jpg

I also found that the original seat post had been chopped right down. Could only find this Thompson one that'd fit. Reissue Flite saddle too

I'm just waiting on a new headset before I can take it out for a proper ride. Will have a quick blast round Cannock to make sure it's all good then will take it back to my old haunts in North Wales.

Will be riding it in the Dyfi Enduro in May :)

Back
Top Bottom