• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel graphics card

Associate
OP
I think people want more choice, as it pushes manufacturers to innovate and reduce the prices, however, as you have stated most people tend to stick to Nvidia or AMD but that is because there isn't really any viable alternatives.
cant remember who first said it but theres a quote " there are no bad graphics card, just a bad price" - all graphics cards work, normally it should be a case of buying the best value for money one that does what you want it to.

bru

bru

Soldato
Thats just rubbish! There are such things as bad graphics cards even if they are sold cheap, that's why they are cheap.
So this upcoming Intel DGX1, if it was £50 would it still be terrible, or how about if it was only £10.

Or take the upcoming RX5500, looks terrible at £279 considering the currant price of the RX570, but drop the price and suddenly it's not a ba card.

The saying that their are no bad video cards, only bad prices is very very real.;)

Associate
Or take the upcoming RX5500, looks terrible at £279 considering the current price of the RX570, but drop the price and suddenly it's not a ba card.

The card is still bad, the price has nothing to do with how good a card will perform. Take the GT 1030 for example, at 1080p in Borderlands 3 you would get 10FPS even for less than £70 that is still an awful card.

With regards to the upcoming Intel card, there has been no/few leaks of performance yet so you cant really say if it will be a good or bad card.

Soldato
The card is still bad, the price has nothing to do with how good a card will perform. Take the GT 1030 for example, at 1080p in Borderlands 3 you would get 10FPS even for less than £70 that is still an awful card.

It's only bad if you're expecting it to give you 60fps at that price. However, if you're spending £70 on a card to use with a 3700x and you have no intention of gaming on it, then it works perfectly for it's intended purpose.

Price is very important. I expect Intel to be competing at the low to mid level, so it won't be something that I'll buy but hopefully the increased competition can bring prices down in general.

Associate
Why would you buy a £70 graphics card when you buy one of the best CPU's on the market at the moment. It makes no sense. If you were going to get a CPU like that you clearly intend for using it for either a gaming or workstation machine, which would mean that you would pair other high-end parts alongside it.

You would be foolish not to do so.

Soldato
Why would you buy a £70 graphics card when you buy one of the best CPU's on the market at the moment. It makes no sense. If you were going to get a CPU like that you clearly intend for using it for either a gaming or workstation machine, which would mean that you would pair other high-end parts alongside it.

You would be foolish not to do so.

What are you talking about? If you're not gaming then all you need is video output.

Soldato
Well if you are not gaming or using it as a workstation why would you get such a good CPU?

You could be using it for anything that benefits from multi core, multi threaded performance. It's a sub £300 CPU, it's not a 3990x.

You're completely missing the point. The performance of a GPU is measured by various factors, and one major factor is price.

Associate
Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
do people want more competeition or is more choice just confusing

People want more competition because it forces nvidia to lower prices. Choice doesn't make it confusing at all because people just ignore everything that's not powered by nvidia anyway.
I get your point, however, it is like saying there are no bad cars for example. However, there just are. For example, this [image removed] is a bad car, whereas something like this is [image removed] a good car.

That Invacar Model 70 has a tiny 493cc engine so is great for the environment and therefore a good car in my opinion. Also that Lambo is great in hybrid mode because it manages an impresive 67 mpg but when electric mode is off it consumes a shocking 22 mpg!

The true 'bad' cars are SUV's which account for 39% of the market and are producing an outragous 700 megatonnes of CO2 emisions per year. People dont care about the repercussions when buying anything :mad:

Soldato
we will know more on 16-20th march 2020

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...re-about-its-xe-gpu-architecture-at-gdc-2020/

do people want more competeition or is more choice just confusing (it appears to me that current enthusiasts just stick with Nvidia or Radeon - however as I am oldish then I remember getting cards from all sorts of manufacturers).

At least the GPU Intel shown at CES was as fast as a GTX960M...
So I guess could be a good replacement to the GTX1030 owners....... :D

Back
Top Bottom